"Jazz" Carson

  • sahfen
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 23, 2005
      Anybody knows something more about mysterious drummer Joe "Jazz"
      Carson that recorded on 5 November 1925 with the Gulf Coast Seven?

      Nicola
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 23, 2005
        on 23/6/05 19:09, sahfen at sahfen@... wrote:

        > Anybody knows something more about mysterious drummer Joe "Jazz"
        > Carson that recorded on 5 November 1925 with the Gulf Coast Seven?

        No, but I can tell you that the quoted personnel for this session was given
        by trumpeter June Clark to Herman Rosenberg and Eugene Williams and
        published by them in the November 1941 issue of Jazz Information. Clark,
        however, recalled the drummer only as "Jazz".

        If anyone knows where the Carson part comes from I'd like to know too!

        Walter Allen believed (see Discomania column, Jazz Journal September 1957)
        that this was in any case not the version of "Keep Your Temper" that June
        was recalling, since Clarence Williams's files apparently listed an unissued
        Pathe recording with Clark, Harrison and Bailey, which is a much more
        obvious candidate.

        You can't prove a negative and in any case I hesitate to suggest that Carson
        is a discographical invention, but I fear that he may be.

        And where does the Joe come from?

      • sahfen
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 23, 2005
          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Howard Rye <howard@c...> wrote:
          > on 23/6/05 19:09, sahfen at sahfen@h... wrote:
          >
          > > Anybody knows something more about mysterious drummer Joe "Jazz"
          > > Carson that recorded on 5 November 1925 with the Gulf Coast Seven?
          >
          > No, but I can tell you that the quoted personnel for this session was given
          > by trumpeter June Clark to Herman Rosenberg and Eugene Williams and
          > published by them in the November 1941 issue of Jazz Information. Clark,
          > however, recalled the drummer only as "Jazz".
          >
          > If anyone knows where the Carson part comes from I'd like to know too!
          >
          > Walter Allen believed (see Discomania column, Jazz Journal September
          1957)
          > that this was in any case not the version of "Keep Your Temper" that June
          > was recalling, since Clarence Williams's files apparently listed an unissued
          > Pathe recording with Clark, Harrison and Bailey, which is a much more
          > obvious candidate.
          >
          > You can't prove a negative and in any case I hesitate to suggest that Carson
          > is a discographical invention, but I fear that he may be.
          >
          > And where does the Joe come from?

          > howard@c...
          > Tel/FAX: +44 20 8521 1098

          Dear Howard,
          thanks for the information. I've found the name Joe "Jazz" Carson in a list of
          jazz musicians while I was searching on Google.

          Nicola