Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: Jimmie Lunceford

  • drdee51@verizon.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 11 6:49 PM
      I think you should be very proud of the book. It was a major reference for my doctoral dissertation which resulted in my own book on Stan and Babe (dissertation unpublished commercially, advise via back channel most welcome, or simple scholarly discussion which would allow me to elaborate on the dissertation contents. It may or may not be interesting to you. I don't know). I think my book is pretty good, it was better before the editor messed it up. It was grand writing about those two crazy uncles from the next town over, as you called them in an interview. Very well put for it describes, I think the brilliance of the boys as actors and as a team. Dr. John McCabe was a consultant on my committee. Did you read the letters on the website lettersfromstan.com? I never believed that Babe got fatally ill due to dieting so severely for his weight loss was too profound too fast. In one letter, Stan tells someone that Babe had cancer.
      I realize this is a Jazz forum. However, I have always felt there is a relationship between good Jazz players and great comics, the real kind that is. Yes, I know, good things happen when a Horne plays a riff.
      And, Bix Beiderbecke once said that Jazz is musical humor.

      From: Randy Skretvedt <forwardintothepast@...>
      Date: 2008/03/11 Tue PM 02:25:47 CDT
      To: RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [RedHotJazz] Re: Jimmie Lunceford

      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, <drdee51@...> wrote:

      > Are you the same Randy who wrote "Laurel and Hardy- The Magic Behind the Movies" ? If
      so, I love that book on my two favorite people.

      Yup, guilty as charged. I'm working on a major revision/update which should be out this fall.
      Thank you for your nice comments, and Stan and Ollie are two of my favorite people, too!
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 12 5:06 AM
        Friends,

        I'll have to be away from any computer or connection for three days. In the
        meanwhile, several members who are still moderated (and should no longer be,
        I confess) might be waiting for their messages to be approved, unless
        Michael is around and has a look at the group's page from time to time -
        someone else can do that too, but I won't tell who so that no-one ever
        bothers him, that's part of the deal and only a precaution to keep the RHJ
        group from ever being 'abandoned'.
        An opportunity to remind everyone that a third moderator living across the
        pond would be welcome, so as to be able to take decisions when Europe is in
        bed ;-)

        Hot-jazzingly yours,

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 12 5:33 AM
          Patrice, listmates,

          I'll be around, so normal service will be available.

          Best

          Michael