Jimmie Lunceford

  • drkrupa51
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 11, 2008
      Jimmie Lunceford made a Vitaphone short in the early 1930s. I am not
      sure of the exact date. They start off playing Rythm is Our Business
      then, You can't Pull The Wool Over My Eyes, then a tap dance routine
      then get into a boiling version of Nagasaki.

      My question-

      Does anyone know where I can purchase a copy of this video?
    • Dave Weiner
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 11, 2008
        The Lunceford film is from 1936 and it is easily available as a
        bonus feature on the Astaire-Rogers FOLLOW THE FLEET DVD.
        It's a beautiful print!

        Dave W.

        > Jimmie Lunceford made a Vitaphone short in the early 1930s. I am not
        > sure of the exact date. They start off playing Rythm is Our Business
        > then, You can't Pull The Wool Over My Eyes, then a tap dance routine
        > then get into a boiling version of Nagasaki.
        >
        > My question-
        >
        > Does anyone know where I can purchase a copy of this video?

      • Randy Skretvedt
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 11, 2008
          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "drkrupa51" <drdee51@...> wrote:

          > Jimmie Lunceford made a Vitaphone short in the early 1930s. I am not
          > sure of the exact date. They start off playing Rythm is Our Business
          > then, You can't Pull The Wool Over My Eyes, then a tap dance routine
          > then get into a boiling version of Nagasaki.
          >
          > My question-
          >
          > Does anyone know where I can purchase a copy of this video?

          Hello--this short is available as an extra on the DVD of the Fred Astaire-Ginger Rogers
          movie "Follow the Fleet." Here's more info:

          http://www.amazon.com/Follow-Fleet-Fred-Astaire/dp/B0009NSCQ2/ref=sr_1_2?
          ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1205250812&sr=1-2

          In the olden days, it was available on a laserdisc compilation called "Swing, Swing, Swing!"
          issued in 1994 by MGM/UA Home Entertainment. This box set is worth seeking out--as is
          a laserdisc player. The other shorts on this set are terrific, too, and not available on DVD
          or even VHS tape.

          The short is "Jimmie Lunceford & His Dance Orchestra," with The Three Brown Jacks and
          Myra Johnson. Songs are "Rhythm Coming to Life Again," "Rhythm Is Our Business," "You
          Can't Pull the Wool Over My Eyes," "Moonlight on the Ganges" and "Nagasaki." It was
          Vitaphone release #2062, released in December 1936, and directed by Joseph Henabery.
        • drdee51@verizon.net
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 11, 2008
            Are you the same Randy who wrote "Laurel and Hardy- The Magic Behind the Movies" ? If so, I love that book on my two favorite people.

            From: Randy Skretvedt <forwardintothepast@...>
            Date: 2008/03/11 Tue AM 11:01:40 CDT
            To: RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com
            Subject: [RedHotJazz] Re: Jimmie Lunceford

            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 11, 2008
              --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, <drdee51@...> wrote:

              > Are you the same Randy who wrote "Laurel and Hardy- The Magic Behind the Movies" ? If
              so, I love that book on my two favorite people.

              Yup, guilty as charged. I'm working on a major revision/update which should be out this fall.
              Thank you for your nice comments, and Stan and Ollie are two of my favorite people, too!
            • drdee51@verizon.net
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 11, 2008
                I think you should be very proud of the book. It was a major reference for my doctoral dissertation which resulted in my own book on Stan and Babe (dissertation unpublished commercially, advise via back channel most welcome, or simple scholarly discussion which would allow me to elaborate on the dissertation contents. It may or may not be interesting to you. I don't know). I think my book is pretty good, it was better before the editor messed it up. It was grand writing about those two crazy uncles from the next town over, as you called them in an interview. Very well put for it describes, I think the brilliance of the boys as actors and as a team. Dr. John McCabe was a consultant on my committee. Did you read the letters on the website lettersfromstan.com? I never believed that Babe got fatally ill due to dieting so severely for his weight loss was too profound too fast. In one letter, Stan tells someone that Babe had cancer.
                I realize this is a Jazz forum. However, I have always felt there is a relationship between good Jazz players and great comics, the real kind that is. Yes, I know, good things happen when a Horne plays a riff.
                And, Bix Beiderbecke once said that Jazz is musical humor.

                From: Randy Skretvedt <forwardintothepast@...>
                Date: 2008/03/11 Tue PM 02:25:47 CDT
                To: RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 12, 2008
                  Friends,

                  I'll have to be away from any computer or connection for three days. In the
                  meanwhile, several members who are still moderated (and should no longer be,
                  I confess) might be waiting for their messages to be approved, unless
                  Michael is around and has a look at the group's page from time to time -
                  someone else can do that too, but I won't tell who so that no-one ever
                  bothers him, that's part of the deal and only a precaution to keep the RHJ
                  group from ever being 'abandoned'.
                  An opportunity to remind everyone that a third moderator living across the
                  pond would be welcome, so as to be able to take decisions when Europe is in
                  bed ;-)

                  Hot-jazzingly yours,

                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 12, 2008
                    Patrice, listmates,

                    I'll be around, so normal service will be available.

                    Best

                    Michael