Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: "Dixie on Parade" by Dukes Of Dixieland

  • Dan Van Landingham
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 9, 2008
      Thank you for the website.I think those albums may have been recorded sometime in the
      late fifties or early sixties.I had,some forty odd years ago,a Columbia LP of them but I
      remember them issuing a spate of classical music albums.I also remember that Audio
      Fidelity claimed that it was they who released the first true stereo LP back in 1957.Those
      were the days when the manufacturers told you just what equipment they used:everythi-
      ng from the mikes to the cutting lathes,cutting heads,tape recorders to the actual record-
      ing tape that was used at the session.Audio Fidelity also released an album of Satchmo
      paying a tribute to King Oliver.That particular album was also released with a different tit-
      le but it escapes me at the moment.The personnel was the same as the album Satchmo
      cut for Kapp Records circa 1964.That particular album was "Hello,Dolly".Back to Frankie
      Assunto:I think he would have done nicely on TV.

      "Brian Kellogg Sr." <BKelloggSr@...> wrote:
      Hello Dan,

      There is quite a nice site about the original Dukes Of
      Dixieland, put out by the family and with a lengthy history and news
      of their legal battle.

      http://www.thedukesofdixieland.com/

      Brian

      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Dan Van Landingham
      <danvanlandingham@...> wrote:

      > I hadn't heard that the Assuntos had died.I have a few of those
      Audio-Fidelity LPs in my
      > collection.In fact,I see them quite regularly in the thrift
      stores with or without Al Hirt.I get