Re: "Dixie on Parade" by Dukes Of Dixieland

  • Brian Kellogg Sr.
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 8, 2008
      Absolutely Right, pgronemeier,

      The DOD today is nothing like the 'real' Dukes of Dixieland of
      the 50's!! At that time, Pete Fountain was still eager and learning
      his chops.
      The Estate of Frank J Assunto has filed suit for improprieties
      committed against the Assunto Family and the name "The Dukes of
      Dixieland". It is like a crime to have taken the name after the
      likes of Papa Jac, Frank & Fred Assunto, Jack Maheu, Lowell Miller &
      Betty Owens departed. Also, no recording process has approached the
      Audio Fidelity discs of the time. This is exactly why I have
      searched in vain for this compilation of the old 'original' group.
      It is as if everyone has been turned off by the performances to which
      you refer.
      Thanks for covering this important aspect.

      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "pgronemeier" <pgronemeier@...>
      wrote:

      > You all will hate me but I was playing in new orleans in the
      80s
      > and i saw the the DOD it was terrible I also saw Pete fountain
      at
      > the hilton it was terrible and I loved them both the Dukes
      were
      > all new guys playing 1980s trad jazz Pete was a too well
      rehearsed
      > done it a million times and it showed thank god we got their
      older
      > recordings
      >
      > I'm just saying
      > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Kellogg Sr." <BKelloggSr@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello!
      > >
      > > While on the subject of Dixieland, does anyone have this 2 CD,
      > > 40 track compilation from 2000? It is long out of print and I have
      > > searched and cannot find it available anywhere. It is the original
      > > Papa Jac, Frank & Fred Assunto, Pete Fountain lineup beautifully
      > > documented by the Audio Fidelity process, new at the time.
      > >
      > > Brian

    • Dan Van Landingham
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 8, 2008
        I hadn't heard that the Assuntos had died.I have a few of those Audio-Fidelity LPs in my
        collection.In fact,I see them quite regularly in the thrift stores with or without Al Hirt.I get
        them from fifty cents to a dollar each.

        wrote:

        > You all will hate me but I was playing in new orleans in the
        80s
        > and i saw the the DOD it was terrible I also saw Pete fountain
        at
        > the hilton it was terrible and I loved them both the Dukes
        were
        > all new guys playing 1980s trad jazz Pete was a too well
        rehearsed
        > done it a million times and it showed thank god we got their
        older
        > recordings
        >
        > I'm just saying
        > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Kellogg Sr." <BKelloggSr@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Hello!
        > >
        > > While on the subject of Dixieland, does anyone have this 2 CD,
        > > 40 track compilation from 2000? It is long out of print and I have
        > > searched and cannot find it available anywhere. It is the original
        > > Papa Jac, Frank & Fred Assunto, Pete Fountain lineup beautifully
        > > documented by the Audio Fidelity process, new at the time.
        > >
        > > Brian

      • Brian Kellogg Sr.
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 9, 2008
          Hello Dan,

          There is quite a nice site about the original Dukes Of
          Dixieland, put out by the family and with a lengthy history and news
          of their legal battle.

          http://www.thedukesofdixieland.com/

          Brian

          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Dan Van Landingham

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 9, 2008
            Thank you for the website.I think those albums may have been recorded sometime in the
            late fifties or early sixties.I had,some forty odd years ago,a Columbia LP of them but I
            remember them issuing a spate of classical music albums.I also remember that Audio
            Fidelity claimed that it was they who released the first true stereo LP back in 1957.Those
            were the days when the manufacturers told you just what equipment they used:everythi-
            ng from the mikes to the cutting lathes,cutting heads,tape recorders to the actual record-
            ing tape that was used at the session.Audio Fidelity also released an album of Satchmo
            paying a tribute to King Oliver.That particular album was also released with a different tit-
            le but it escapes me at the moment.The personnel was the same as the album Satchmo
            cut for Kapp Records circa 1964.That particular album was "Hello,Dolly".Back to Frankie
            Assunto:I think he would have done nicely on TV.