The round about way

  • Larry Rowe
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 29, 2008
      Hello all,

      I'm interested to know just how many of us came to our appreciation of early jazz the round about way. For example: with myself it was a room mate whose aquainting me with Miles Davis that first got the juices flowing so to speak, Miles of the Bitches Brew era none the less, lol. I was totally ignorant to begin with, didn't get it and had to be taught how to listen, lol. Listen for things other than what I listened for in rock, folk, pop. It was an education. Thank you Eugene!!! Gradually, over the years, I began working my way backwards; through Thelonius, Bird, early Miles; back to Louis, Mr. Waller and Jack T, then back even further to the roots: Morton, Bessie, and Pine Top.

      Anyone else take the round about way?

      Cheers

      Larry

    • l.swain@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 29, 2008
        " Larry Rowe" <rowe@...> asked:I

        I'm interested to know just how many of us came to our appreciation of
        early jazz the round about way.

        I guess I went backward in time as well -- just not over anywhere as long a journey.

        My Dad was a Benny Goodman fan; he would call me to the living room every time he heard Goodman on the radio (we didn't have a phonograph until I was able, as a little kid, to hook up a turntable to the big Admiral radio we had in the living room.

        I became a BG fan, too, especially with his small group (trio, quartet, quintet, sextet).

        Then I took piano lessons from a guy who taught me to play with a fake book (he had a career accompanying silent films). Very quickly I was able to play recognizable stuff.

        I was 10.

        When I got to high school, somehow a number of other guys who could play and I got into Dixieland -- aided by the intense Dixie revival of the early '50s -- before Elvis and the Beatles took over the popular media.

        We went on to put together a Dixieland band when I was a high-school senior -- we played for dances, on a TV talent show, and wherever anyone would listen.

        My love of trad jazz was intensified when I attended college in Boston, and caught the big-name, old-time, Dixie bands that came through and played at the Savoy and other clubs, to say nothing of Symphony Hall!

        Oh, for the old days!

        Very few venues for trad jazz groups now -- I'm working in the area to develop others.

        Larry Swain
      • Larry Rowe
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 29, 2008
          Hi Larry,

          My Dad was and continues to be quite a music fan, he turns 80 this June!

          When I was a kid he was into popular music more than anything so my only exposure to Jazz though him was Acker Bilk. He did like Miriam Makeba though so I did get a bit of world music appreciation from that.

          I took piano lessons as well and when my piano teacher's home was flooded and her brand new, and uninsured, baby grand was seen floating around in her basement she moved soon after and I moved onto guitar. Played in rock group for many years; late sixties, early seventies.

          It was in 1974 that I roomed with my friend Eugene who was into Sonny Rollins, Miles, etc.. I can still remember the first few times I really began to get into Miles. I've been looking back ever since lol. I've even collected a nice selection of 78s with some great music from Fats Waller and the like.

          Larry