Re: Wanted: Two Recordings with Annette Hanshaw

  • Albert Haim
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 8, 2008
      Hello Dan,

      The vocalist in Whiteman's "Mississippi Mud" was Irene Taylor, who had
      the distinction of being the first female vocalist hired by Whiteman
      in a recording. Irene Taylor also made recordings with Seger Ellis and
      His Choir of Brass Orchestra. Seger Ellis was Irene Taylor's husband.

      Albert

      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Dan Van Landingham
      <danvanlandingham@...> wrote:

      > I had "If I Had a Talking Picture of You" and "I'm a Dreamer(Aren't
      We All)' on an OKeh 80
      > rpm(black label popular series)by Seger Ellis.The probable
      personnel(via Columbia's "Th-
      > esaurus of Classic Jazz from 1962)included Tommy
      Dorsey,trombone;Stan King,drums;
      > Frank Signorelli,piano;Eddie Lang,guitar;Fuzzy
      Farrar,trumpet;Frank Signorelli,piano;Al
      > Duffy,violin and Seger Ellis,vocals.Wasn't Annette Hanshaw the
      vocalist heard on Paul
      > Whiteman's Victor recording of "Mississippi Mud"?
      >
      > Albert Haim <alberthaim@...> wrote:
      >
      > Hello list mates,
      >
      > I am preparing the WBIX virtual radio program for Feb 29. It will
      > consist of a comparison between Annette Hanshaw and Bing Crosby. I
      > will play in sequence recordings of the same tune waxed by Annette
      > first and by Bing next. It should make for an interesting comparison.
      >
      > I looked over my records and found that there are two recordings of
      > Annette Hanshaw that I do not have.
      >
      > Mary (What Are We Waiting For?)
      > Recorded Dec 1, 1927 as Vocalist with Lou Gold's Orchestra
      > Pa 36725, Per 14906
      >
      > There Ain't No Sweet Man That's Worth the Salt of My Tears
      > Recorded April 1928 as vocalist with Willard Robison's Orchestra
      > PA36782, Per 14963
      >
      > There is also "Sweet and Lovely," recorded by Annette on Sep 22, 1931
      > for Harmony. But it was rejected. Is there a test pressing of this
      > floating around?
      >
      > If anyone who has any of these is kind enough to make an mp3 file and
      > shoot it as an attachment to an email message to
      >
      > alberthaim@...
      >
      > I will be highly appreciative!!
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > Albert
      >
      > PS The tunes I have by both Annette and Bing are
      >
      > Mis Annabelle Lee
      > I'm A Dreamer, Aren't We all
      > If I Had A Talking Picture of You
      > Ho-Hum
      > Wistful and Blue

    • Dan Van Landingham
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 9, 2008
        You're right.It was Irene Taylor.The copy I had was an original issue.I don't know if it's still with me as my sister in law sold off my part of my nearly 40 year old record collection.The
        copy I had was given to me by a close friend.My sister in law Flora sold off a good deal of
        my record collection,1500 albums for $100.What they sold out of the trailer I was living in
        went back 40 years.I was infuriated with her;all of this happened in 2003 when I came back
        to my hometown here in North Bend,Oregon.