Wanted: Two Recordings with Annette Hanshaw

  • Albert Haim
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 8, 2008
      Hello list mates,

      I am preparing the WBIX virtual radio program for Feb 29. It will
      consist of a comparison between Annette Hanshaw and Bing Crosby. I
      will play in sequence recordings of the same tune waxed by Annette
      first and by Bing next. It should make for an interesting comparison.

      I looked over my records and found that there are two recordings of
      Annette Hanshaw that I do not have.

      Mary (What Are We Waiting For?)
      Recorded Dec 1, 1927 as Vocalist with Lou Gold's Orchestra
      Pa 36725, Per 14906

      There Ain't No Sweet Man That's Worth the Salt of My Tears
      Recorded April 1928 as vocalist with Willard Robison's Orchestra
      PA36782, Per 14963

      There is also "Sweet and Lovely," recorded by Annette on Sep 22, 1931
      for Harmony. But it was rejected. Is there a test pressing of this
      floating around?

      If anyone who has any of these is kind enough to make an mp3 file and
      shoot it as an attachment to an email message to

      alberthaim@...

      I will be highly appreciative!!

      Thanks

      Albert

      PS The tunes I have by both Annette and Bing are

      Mis Annabelle Lee
      I'm A Dreamer, Aren't We all
      If I Had A Talking Picture of You
      Ho-Hum
      Wistful and Blue
    • Dan Van Landingham
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 8, 2008
        I had "If I Had a Talking Picture of You" and "I'm a Dreamer(Aren't We All)' on an OKeh 80
        rpm(black label popular series)by Seger Ellis.The probable personnel(via Columbia's "Th-
        esaurus of Classic Jazz from 1962)included Tommy Dorsey,trombone;Stan King,drums;
        Frank Signorelli,piano;Eddie Lang,guitar;Fuzzy Farrar,trumpet;Frank Signorelli,piano;Al
        Duffy,violin and Seger Ellis,vocals.Wasn't Annette Hanshaw the vocalist heard on Paul
        Whiteman's Victor recording of "Mississippi Mud"?

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 8, 2008
          Hello Dan,

          The vocalist in Whiteman's "Mississippi Mud" was Irene Taylor, who had
          the distinction of being the first female vocalist hired by Whiteman
          in a recording. Irene Taylor also made recordings with Seger Ellis and
          His Choir of Brass Orchestra. Seger Ellis was Irene Taylor's husband.

          Albert

          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Dan Van Landingham
          <danvanlandingham@...> wrote:

          > I had "If I Had a Talking Picture of You" and "I'm a Dreamer(Aren't
          We All)' on an OKeh 80
          > rpm(black label popular series)by Seger Ellis.The probable
          personnel(via Columbia's "Th-
          > esaurus of Classic Jazz from 1962)included Tommy
          Dorsey,trombone;Stan King,drums;
          > Frank Signorelli,piano;Eddie Lang,guitar;Fuzzy
          Farrar,trumpet;Frank Signorelli,piano;Al
          > Duffy,violin and Seger Ellis,vocals.Wasn't Annette Hanshaw the
          vocalist heard on Paul
          > Whiteman's Victor recording of "Mississippi Mud"?
          >
          > Albert Haim <alberthaim@...> wrote:
          >
          > Hello list mates,
          >
          > I am preparing the WBIX virtual radio program for Feb 29. It will
          > consist of a comparison between Annette Hanshaw and Bing Crosby. I
          > will play in sequence recordings of the same tune waxed by Annette
          > first and by Bing next. It should make for an interesting comparison.
          >
          > I looked over my records and found that there are two recordings of
          > Annette Hanshaw that I do not have.
          >
          > Mary (What Are We Waiting For?)
          > Recorded Dec 1, 1927 as Vocalist with Lou Gold's Orchestra
          > Pa 36725, Per 14906
          >
          > There Ain't No Sweet Man That's Worth the Salt of My Tears
          > Recorded April 1928 as vocalist with Willard Robison's Orchestra
          > PA36782, Per 14963
          >
          > There is also "Sweet and Lovely," recorded by Annette on Sep 22, 1931
          > for Harmony. But it was rejected. Is there a test pressing of this
          > floating around?
          >
          > If anyone who has any of these is kind enough to make an mp3 file and
          > shoot it as an attachment to an email message to
          >
          > alberthaim@...
          >
          > I will be highly appreciative!!
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > Albert
          >
          > PS The tunes I have by both Annette and Bing are
          >
          > Mis Annabelle Lee
          > I'm A Dreamer, Aren't We all
          > If I Had A Talking Picture of You
          > Ho-Hum
          > Wistful and Blue

        • Dan Van Landingham
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 9, 2008
            You're right.It was Irene Taylor.The copy I had was an original issue.I don't know if it's still with me as my sister in law sold off my part of my nearly 40 year old record collection.The
            copy I had was given to me by a close friend.My sister in law Flora sold off a good deal of
            my record collection,1500 albums for $100.What they sold out of the trailer I was living in
            went back 40 years.I was infuriated with her;all of this happened in 2003 when I came back
            to my hometown here in North Bend,Oregon.