Re: [RedHotJazz] Baby Mack / Mary Mack

  • Dan Van Landingham
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 9, 2008
      I've never heard of either Mary Mack or "Baby" Mack.Les Hite I'm familiar with for the records he cut with Louis Armstrong in the early thirties as well as having a record out in the early
      forties,"Jersey Bounce" which came out in the Hit label.Dizzy Gillespie soloed on that partic-
      ular recording.Please enlighten me on this person.By the way,on Scott's RHJ files,why does
      he have the bands-listed in white ink-as being nonplayable?

      Prof_Hi_Jinx <prof_hi_jinx@...> wrote:
      There has been some doubt whether Baby Mack and Mary Mack were the same person.

      Abouty a year ago Linda reported that Baby Mack (who worked with Louis Armstrong) was still alive in 1984 when interviewed by Linda and her husband Tim.

      Baby Mack's reported history was that she was born in New York in 1898 and raised in New Jersey.

      She was reportedly also known as McBride.

      She married Les Hite in the late 1920s and worked with him in the 1930s.

      The 1930 Census duly shows Les in Los Angeles as a Musician with his Own Orchestra and lists his wife as Wilhelmina, a singer and dancer. She is shown as aged 28, having married at 26, and her birth state is shown as New Jersey.

      [So, who was Wilhelmina Jeanmargaret Hite (nee Hynes) who was born in Illinois on 10 March 1899 and who died in Los Angeles on 10 May 1947?]

      On the other hand, Mary Mack worked with Billy Mack and was active in Chicago in the late 1930s.

      Surely these are two different performers, one based in California in the 1930s and the other in Illinois then? Ernest Virgo has suggested that Mary is a pseudonym for Aletha Dickerson / Robinson.

      Any clarification would be appreciated. Thanks.

      Bob

      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 10, 2008
        You must be getting very bored with me saying this, Bob, but B&GR separated
        these two a long time ago. far from their being some doubt whether Baby Mack
        and Mary Mack were the same person, there is no doubt at all that they are
        not. They are different people.

        Baby Mack was in "Ragtime Sailor Girls" at the Chicago Grand in December
        1924, but if you want absolutely conclusive proof there were two of them, it
        can be found on the bill of the Michigan Theater, Chicago, for the 1931 New
        Year's Eve Midnight Show, which announces "Mary and Baby Mack"

        A slightly more interesting question is whether the Mary Mack who recorded
        with Billy Mack in 1925/6 is the same artist who recorded as a soloist, with
        the State Street Swingers, and as "Mack and Mack" in 1937.

        There is a picture of them in the Chicago Defender of 19 December 1925 and
        in 1927 Billie Mack placed an advert for a cornet player for Mary Mack's
        Merry Makers. So they're real enough. And there is no reason why the 1937
        artist shouldn't be the same person. The repertoire alone establishes the
        presumption that the 1936 Bluebird is the same act.

        We can discount Ernest Virgo's fantasies. To paraphrase a joke of Cardinal
        Newman's he had about as much congnisance of what constituted evidence as
        the Samaritans and Ephesians! In his Document notes David Evans doesn't even
        consider the possibility that the State Street Swingers' Mary Mack is anyone
        other than Mary Mack of Billy and Mary and I can't see any reason to
        consider it either. This doesn't of course mean that Mary Mack was the name
        under which this artist was known to census takers, and there's the rub.