Re: Keppard was Tiny Parham

  • spacelights
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 8, 2008

      > Also seeming anomalies between the two sides 'Stomp Time' and
      > 'It Must Be The Blues'. To me, the former is typical Keppard but the
      latter
      > certainly more legato and nearer to Louis.

      Hi Dave:

      I would opt for Keppard on the Jaspers as well (although with a
      question mark): I hear his tone and phrasing on "Stomp Time", also a
      characteristic delivery slightly ahead of the beat. Regarding the
      second tune: there seems to be a dearth of straight blues in Keppard's
      recorded output, so not much to compare this to. The cornet does take
      an approach similar to that on Keppard's Jazz Cardinals' "Salty Dog"
      of the previous year.

      John