Dancing Blues

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 7, 2008
      "Dancing Blues" by Clifford's Louisville Jug Band was reissued on a Herwin LP with an abrupt change in tempo and sound early in the record, probably due to a tape slip during mastering. The track has been reissued on Jazz Perspectives JPCD-1501-2 Clifford Hayes and Louisville Jug Bands Vol.1. Does anyone know if the mistake persists on the Jazz Perspectives CD? I strongly suspect that the latter label used LPs rather than originals for its CDs, so the Herwin is a likely candidate as the source.

      Jetzt neu! Schützen Sie Ihren PC mit McAfee und WEB.DE. 30 Tage
    • spacelights
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 7, 2008
        Yes, the Jazz Perspectives CD has the same abrupt change as the LP you
        mentioned (Herwin 113)... It sounds like someone could be adjusting
        the turntable speed during the first parts of the record, or perhaps a
        tape problem as you said. Those 1925 sides by Clifford's Louisville
        Jug Band are staggeringly great.

        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Michael Rader <Rader.Michael@...>

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 7, 2008
          Thanks to a fellow list-member who sent me an MP3 of the Jazz Perspectives off-list, I found that out already. However, the fault is not as pronounced on the Jazz Perspectives as it is on the Herwin, suggesting that Jazz Perspectives had some additional work done on the Herwin transfer. Does anyone have or have access to a 78? The original used for Herwin was owned by the late Bernie Klatzko, so I would assume that it is now in some other collection.

          While the cornet playing by Theo Boone on the Cliffords is somewhat inconistent, these are indeed great sides - a rather strange combination of jazz horn with a jug band - although there are other examples, these are usually with a saxophone.

          Michael Rader
          > Yes, the Jazz Perspectives CD has the same abrupt change as the LP you
          > mentioned (Herwin 113)... It sounds like someone could be adjusting
          > the turntable speed during the first parts of the record, or perhaps a
          > tape problem as you said. Those 1925 sides by Clifford's Louisville
          > Jug Band are staggeringly great.
          >
          > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Michael Rader <Rader.Michael@...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > "Dancing Blues" by Clifford's Louisville Jug Band was reissued on a
          > Herwin LP with an abrupt change in tempo and sound early in the
          > record, probably due to a tape slip during mastering. The track has
          > been reissued on Jazz Perspectives JPCD-1501-2 Clifford Hayes and
          > Louisville Jug Bands Vol.1. Does anyone know if the mistake persists
          > on the Jazz Perspectives CD? I strongly suspect that the latter label
          > used LPs rather than originals for its CDs, so the Herwin is a likely
          > candidate as the source.

          Jetzt neu! Schützen Sie Ihren PC mit McAfee und WEB.DE. 30 Tage
        • rwondraschek
          Message 4 of 4 , May 7 6:58 AM
            Hi Michael,

            Yes, I do own the original OK 78.
            What happened on the Herwin reissue, in my opinion, is that the decent copy of the original 78 Klatzko used for reissue had some problems (very rough start, or even a rimbite), which (lacking a second copy of the 78) made it necessary to resort to a tape copy (in order to have the first few seconds of music), which played at a wrong speed - thus the amateurish-sounding slice-together.
            It didn't help that the remastering was done by Jerry Valburn, vasty inferior to Nick Perls! Nick was, in my opinion, the best sound engineer ever in the "78 to LP" game (even superior to John R.T. Davies).

            Ralph Wondraschek, Heidelberg, Germany