Re: Louis Armstrong's New Orleans by Thomas Brothers

  • Robert Greenwood
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 4, 2008

      > Me-too-ism in newsgroups is justifiably regarded as a waste of
      bandwidth,

      Point taken, but Scott's original e-mail was sent to the group as
      long ago as 2006, and now the book is available in a paperback
      edition and it is, as you say, Howard, one of the most important
      books ever written on jazz. Brothers ably demystifies a subject that
      has suffered from more romantic tosh than any other. I think this is
      the first time an author has rightly placed so much emphasis on so
      many of the right things such as the influx into New Orleans of
      African-Americans from the surrounding plantation areas bringing with
      them their musical traditions. There are also excellent chapters on
      the creoles and the Canal Street Uptown/Downtown divide (both its
      preservation and its transgression), on the Baptist and Sanctified
      churches, on the brass bands, and on the fraternal clubs.
      The only solecism I have detected is where Brothers seems to think
      that a brass band in 1910 could have played Just a Closer Walk with
      Thee. Strangely, Tom Bethell's biography of George Lewis is cited in
      the bibliography and, in that book, Bethell discusses how JACWWT came
      to be incorporated into the repertoire. Wasn't this tune first
      recorded in the 1940s by Sister Rosetta Tharpe?
      Robert Greenwood
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 4, 2008
        Rosetta Tharpe's December 1941 recording is certainly the earliest I can
        easily locate. It was recorded again a few months later by the Selah Jubilee
        Singers, and then collected twice by field workers during July 1942, from
        the Rev. E.M. Martin of Christian Springs, Mississippi and from the Silent
        Grove Baptist Church in nearby Clarksdale. Which looks like a copybook
        example of recorded material making its way into "the tradition". Except
        that we can never be sure the field-worker didn't ask whether they knew it
        and got back something they'd heard on the radio by way of humoring the
        stranger!

        George Lewis first recorded it in May 1943 and Bethell certainly believed
        this was the first jazz recording.

        on 4/1/08 15:23, Robert Greenwood at robertgreenwood_54uk@... wrote:

        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com> ,