RE: [RedHotJazz] Re: Louis Armstrong's New Orleans by Thomas Brothers

  • Ron L
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 4, 2008
      I have this book in paperback. I don't get much time to read it much but
      what I've read so far sure is interesting.

      Ron L

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 4, 2008

        > Me-too-ism in newsgroups is justifiably regarded as a waste of
        bandwidth,

        Point taken, but Scott's original e-mail was sent to the group as
        long ago as 2006, and now the book is available in a paperback
        edition and it is, as you say, Howard, one of the most important
        books ever written on jazz. Brothers ably demystifies a subject that
        has suffered from more romantic tosh than any other. I think this is
        the first time an author has rightly placed so much emphasis on so
        many of the right things such as the influx into New Orleans of
        African-Americans from the surrounding plantation areas bringing with
        them their musical traditions. There are also excellent chapters on
        the creoles and the Canal Street Uptown/Downtown divide (both its
        preservation and its transgression), on the Baptist and Sanctified
        churches, on the brass bands, and on the fraternal clubs.
        The only solecism I have detected is where Brothers seems to think
        that a brass band in 1910 could have played Just a Closer Walk with
        Thee. Strangely, Tom Bethell's biography of George Lewis is cited in
        the bibliography and, in that book, Bethell discusses how JACWWT came
        to be incorporated into the repertoire. Wasn't this tune first
        recorded in the 1940s by Sister Rosetta Tharpe?
        Robert Greenwood
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 4, 2008
          Rosetta Tharpe's December 1941 recording is certainly the earliest I can
          easily locate. It was recorded again a few months later by the Selah Jubilee
          Singers, and then collected twice by field workers during July 1942, from
          the Rev. E.M. Martin of Christian Springs, Mississippi and from the Silent
          Grove Baptist Church in nearby Clarksdale. Which looks like a copybook
          example of recorded material making its way into "the tradition". Except
          that we can never be sure the field-worker didn't ask whether they knew it
          and got back something they'd heard on the radio by way of humoring the
          stranger!

          George Lewis first recorded it in May 1943 and Bethell certainly believed
          this was the first jazz recording.

          on 4/1/08 15:23, Robert Greenwood at robertgreenwood_54uk@... wrote:

          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com> ,