Re: Louis Armstrong's New Orleans by Thomas Brothers

  • Robert Greenwood
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 4, 2008
      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Scott Alexander <scott@...> wrote:

      > Last week I read a new book called "Louis Armstrong's New Orleans"
      by
      > Thomas Brothers and I thought it was very good. The book is not a
      > standard biography of Armstrong's life but rather a scholarly
      > examination of the culture that shaped him and his music. The
      author
      > Thomas Brother's does a convincing job of piecing together a lot of
      > diverse quotes from oral histories, interviews, etc. to paint a
      picture
      > the unique music scene that existed in New Orleans during
      Armstrong's
      > life in the city and how it shaped Armstrong's music. This book is
      > definitely the most serious examination of Armstrong's early
      musical
      > life that has ever been published and one of the better books about
      the
      > beginnings of jazz in New Orleans.

      I spent much of the recent holiday season reading this book and
      endorse Scott's comments unreservedly. Anyone who seeks to understand
      what New Orleans music is all about must read this book. I believe
      it's now available in a paperback edition.
      Robert Greenwood
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 4, 2008
        Me-too-ism in newsgroups is justifiably regarded as a waste of bandwidth,
        but I must endorse this! This is one of the most important books ever
        written about jazz. Just read it!!

        on 4/1/08 10:47, Robert Greenwood at robertgreenwood_54uk@... wrote:

        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com> ,
        Scott Alexander <scott@...> wrote:

        > Last week I read a new book called "Louis Armstrong's New Orleans"
        by
        > Thomas Brothers and I thought it was very good. The book is not a
        > standard biography of Armstrong's life but rather a scholarly
        > examination of the culture that shaped him and his music. The
        author
        > Thomas Brother's does a convincing job of piecing together a lot of
        > diverse quotes from oral histories, interviews, etc. to paint a
        picture
        > the unique music scene that existed in New Orleans during
        Armstrong's
        > life in the city and how it shaped Armstrong's music. This book is
        > definitely the most serious examination of Armstrong's early
        musical
        > life that has ever been published and one of the better books about
        the
        > beginnings of jazz in New Orleans.

        I spent much of the recent holiday season reading this book and
        endorse Scott's comments unreservedly. Anyone who seeks to understand
        what New Orleans music is all about must read this book. I believe
        it's now available in a paperback edition.
        Robert Greenwood

      • Ron L
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 4, 2008
          I have this book in paperback. I don't get much time to read it much but
          what I've read so far sure is interesting.

          Ron L

          > Last week I read a new book called "Louis Armstrong's New Orleans"
          by
          > Thomas Brothers and I thought it was very good. The book is not a
          > standard biography of Armstrong's life but rather a scholarly
          > examination of the culture that shaped him and his music. The
          author
          > Thomas Brother's does a convincing job of piecing together a lot of
          > diverse quotes from oral histories, interviews, etc. to paint a
          picture
          > the unique music scene that existed in New Orleans during
          Armstrong's
          > life in the city and how it shaped Armstrong's music. This book is
          > definitely the most serious examination of Armstrong's early
          musical
          > life that has ever been published and one of the better books about
          the
          > beginnings of jazz in New Orleans.

          I spent much of the recent holiday season reading this book and
          endorse Scott's comments unreservedly. Anyone who seeks to understand
          what New Orleans music is all about must read this book. I believe
          it's now available in a paperback edition.
          Robert Greenwood

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Robert Greenwood
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 4, 2008

            > Me-too-ism in newsgroups is justifiably regarded as a waste of
            bandwidth,

            Point taken, but Scott's original e-mail was sent to the group as
            long ago as 2006, and now the book is available in a paperback
            edition and it is, as you say, Howard, one of the most important
            books ever written on jazz. Brothers ably demystifies a subject that
            has suffered from more romantic tosh than any other. I think this is
            the first time an author has rightly placed so much emphasis on so
            many of the right things such as the influx into New Orleans of
            African-Americans from the surrounding plantation areas bringing with
            them their musical traditions. There are also excellent chapters on
            the creoles and the Canal Street Uptown/Downtown divide (both its
            preservation and its transgression), on the Baptist and Sanctified
            churches, on the brass bands, and on the fraternal clubs.
            The only solecism I have detected is where Brothers seems to think
            that a brass band in 1910 could have played Just a Closer Walk with
            Thee. Strangely, Tom Bethell's biography of George Lewis is cited in
            the bibliography and, in that book, Bethell discusses how JACWWT came
            to be incorporated into the repertoire. Wasn't this tune first
            recorded in the 1940s by Sister Rosetta Tharpe?
            Robert Greenwood
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 4, 2008
              Rosetta Tharpe's December 1941 recording is certainly the earliest I can
              easily locate. It was recorded again a few months later by the Selah Jubilee
              Singers, and then collected twice by field workers during July 1942, from
              the Rev. E.M. Martin of Christian Springs, Mississippi and from the Silent
              Grove Baptist Church in nearby Clarksdale. Which looks like a copybook
              example of recorded material making its way into "the tradition". Except
              that we can never be sure the field-worker didn't ask whether they knew it
              and got back something they'd heard on the radio by way of humoring the
              stranger!

              George Lewis first recorded it in May 1943 and Bethell certainly believed
              this was the first jazz recording.