Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: The Music on the site

    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 14, 2007
      Patrice' point was he suspects that many pieces on jazz-on-line are ripped off commercial CDs, not so much by the majors like BMG/Sony or Universal who usually couldn't care less about jazz, but small, dedicated labels, who have new transfers done of music which has passed into the public domain in Europe, at least. This transfer work is quite expensive - good engineers command their price - meaning that to keep a supply of well-engineered CDs of classic jazz music coming out, enough people have to buy existing releases.

      I think you also misunderstood Patrice' use of "samples", which referred to selections from an artist's work and not to the 30 second excerpts you can hear on Amazon and similar sites to decide whether you want to buy a CD (or in coming times a download).

      Finally, a lot more classic jazz has been made available on CDs than was ever available on LPs.

      Michael Rader

      Karlsruhe, Germany

      > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Patrice Champarou"
      > <patrice.champarou@...> wrote:
      > >

      > > I have nothing against jazz-on-line, except that it appears to me
      > rather
      > > like a site offering free (ahem! *almost* free) samples, than a
      > > comprehensive work. And although I am not quite aware of legal
      > matters, I am
      > > a bit upset by the mention "all the tunes are in the public domain"
      > - not
      > > that I mind legality for itself, but there must have been, some time,
      > > somewhere, people who did work and take financial risks to make
      > these side
      > > commercially available as clean, digitized files... and I would not
      > like
      > > this kind of job to cease because everyone feels free to compress and
      > > publish whatever they fancied grabbing from CD's. Please tell me
      > where I'm
      > > wrong, someone.
      > >
      > > Patrice
      > >
      > Hi Patrice:
      > Jazz-on-line has complete songs, not just samples. I listened to Able
      > Lyman's 1933 "Doin the Uptown Lowdown", in a MP3 format (free) while
      > writing this email. From my viewpoint, the fee allows people like me,
      > who are complete novices, to record selections on a mp3 player. Maybe
      > there is a method to record some of the redhotjazz selections on my
      > mp3, but I don't know how. I wish redhotjazz had the mp3 record
      > option, too. Since my spouse doesn't share my interest in this type
      > music, it would be nice. Maybe someone could recommend a site that
      > could get me up to speed on recording.
      >
      > I can't comment on the legalities. I've assumed that since very few
      > people are interested in this music, almost nothing is available
      > commercially, and essentially all the composers and performers are
      > dead, we are under the radar. As far as work is concerned, someone
      > went to plenty of effort to set up redhotjazz. Fortunately for the
      > rest of us there are people (including yourself) who are willing to go
      > the extra mile. For example, here is a link covering a small niche of
      > the radio hobby: www.bentongue.com Ben mentions the company he
      > co-founded, but otherwise it is totally non-commercial.
      >
      > Patrice, I'll end with a thanks for setting up and monitoring this site.
      >
      > Jim

      Jetzt neu! Im riesigen WEB.DE Club SmartDrive Dateien freigeben und mit
      Freunden teilen! http://www.freemail.web.de/club/smartdrive_ttc.htm/?mc=021134