Mary Lou Williams

  • woodstockguy2003
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 13, 2007
      Many years ago I managed to tape on a cassette three numbers from the
      early 1930s that were played on a show called The Big Broadcast from a
      NY metropolitan area station. I thought I heard the announcer state
      that Mary Lou Williams was in the band. Over the years I have tried to
      find the song. I purchased some recordings of Andy Kirk and 12 Clouds
      of Joy, but the music on the album, which commences around 1936, seems
      to be a couple of years later than what I caught so many years ago.
      Would anyone have any idea what music I may have heard? It had a real
      swing in a restrained way - seemed a bit ahead of its time for the
      early 1930s.
    • Agustin Perez Gasco
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 13, 2007
        I've checked the GOLDINdex database, but I am afraid that, for the timeframe you mention (early 30s), there are no Mary Lou Williams broadcast appearances listed there:

        http://tinyurl.com/2fhwqh

        Best regards,
        Agustín Pérez
        Madrid (Spain)

        woodstockguy2003 <woodstockguy2003@...> wrote:
        Many years ago I managed to tape on a cassette three numbers from the
        early 1930s that were played on a show called The Big Broadcast from a
        NY metropolitan area station. I thought I heard the announcer state
        that Mary Lou Williams was in the band. Over the years I have tried to
        find the song. I purchased some recordings of Andy Kirk and 12 Clouds
        of Joy, but the music on the album, which commences around 1936, seems
        to be a couple of years later than what I caught so many years ago.
        Would anyone have any idea what music I may have heard? It had a real
        swing in a restrained way - seemed a bit ahead of its time for the
        early 1930s.

      • spacelights
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 14, 2007
          Was it "Mary Lou" by Mal Hallett and His Orchestra (1936)? This
          appears on a CD called 'The Big Broadcast' (Rivermont), compiled by
          the host of a New York radio show with the same name.

          Mary Lou isn't in that group; she did record earlier band
          instrumentals led by husband John Williams (1927 and 1929), and others
          by Andy Kirk (1929-1930).

          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "woodstockguy2003"
          <woodstockguy2003@...> wrote:

          > Many years ago I managed to tape on a cassette three numbers from the
          > early 1930s that were played on a show called The Big Broadcast from a
          > NY metropolitan area station. I thought I heard the announcer state
          > that Mary Lou Williams was in the band. Over the years I have tried to
          > find the song. I purchased some recordings of Andy Kirk and 12 Clouds
          > of Joy, but the music on the album, which commences around 1936, seems
          > to be a couple of years later than what I caught so many years ago.
          > Would anyone have any idea what music I may have heard? It had a real
          > swing in a restrained way - seemed a bit ahead of its time for the
          > early 1930s.

        • heckman_michael
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 14, 2007
            The genial host of the Big Broadcast for the last 30 something years is
            Rich Conaty. He has a blog site and is a member of several online jazz
            groups. Why not ask him?

            <woodstockguy2003@...> wrote:

            > Many years ago I managed to tape on a cassette three numbers from the
            > early 1930s that were played on a show called The Big Broadcast from
            > NY metropolitan area station. I thought I heard the announcer state
            > that Mary Lou Williams was in the band. Over the years I have tried
            > find the song. I purchased some recordings of Andy Kirk and 12 Clouds
            > of Joy, but the music on the album, which commences around 1936,
            seems
            > to be a couple of years later than what I caught so many years ago.
            > Would anyone have any idea what music I may have heard? It had a real
            > swing in a restrained way - seemed a bit ahead of its time for the
            > early 1930s.

          • Dan Van Landingham
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 14, 2007
              Mary Lou Williams played piano and arranged for Andy Kirk from 1933 until 1942.Kirk began
              recording for Brunswick then went to Decca where he stayed well into the '40s.What I have
              in my collection were a few 78s on Decca plus a couple of CDs that came out on that French
              "Jazz Classics" series(Melodie Jazz).I hope that helps you.

              <woodstockguy2003@...> wrote:

              > Many years ago I managed to tape on a cassette three numbers from the
              > early 1930s that were played on a show called The Big Broadcast from
              > NY metropolitan area station. I thought I heard the announcer state
              > that Mary Lou Williams was in the band. Over the years I have tried
              > find the song. I purchased some recordings of Andy Kirk and 12 Clouds
              > of Joy, but the music on the album, which commences around 1936,
              seems
              > to be a couple of years later than what I caught so many years ago.
              > Would anyone have any idea what music I may have heard? It had a real
              > swing in a restrained way - seemed a bit ahead of its time for the
              > early 1930s.

            • Ron L'Herault
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 14, 2007
                Rich Conaty still does the Big Broadcast on WFUV_FM and on the web, Sunday
                nights from 8-12. I'm a faithful listener via the web. You could try
                e-mailing him to see if he can clarify. Williams did record some piano
                solos in 1930, such as Night Life and Drag-em. She was with Kirk in '29
                though.

                Ron L

                Many years ago I managed to tape on a cassette three numbers from the
                early 1930s that were played on a show called The Big Broadcast from a
                NY metropolitan area station. I thought I heard the announcer state
                that Mary Lou Williams was in the band. Over the years I have tried to
                find the song. I purchased some recordings of Andy Kirk and 12 Clouds
                of Joy, but the music on the album, which commences around 1936, seems
                to be a couple of years later than what I caught so many years ago.
                Would anyone have any idea what music I may have heard? It had a real
                swing in a restrained way - seemed a bit ahead of its time for the
                early 1930s.

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • m jaiven