Re: The Music on the site

    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 12, 2007
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Albert Haim"

      > Patrice,
      >
      > I am sorry about the delay in responding to your suggestion about my
      > monitoring the site for function. I just got back from vacation.
      >
      > Since I visit the red hot jazz archive almost on a daily basis, it
      > would be simple for me to report malfunctions to the group and to
      > Scott. As proper function resumes, I would notify the group. I am
      > willing to take on this responsibility.
      >
      > The system would be simple to implement as long as members of the
      > group realize that I have been designated as the contact to monitor
      > function and to notify Scott and the group of problems and their
      > resolution.
      >
      > Alors, Patrice, d'accord?

      Aucun problème. And since you've sent your reply to the group, I suppose
      there is no need for further notification ;-)

      > P.S. At this moment, the site is up but music files are unavailable.

      This is what always happens. The site is hosted by a provider, and there is
      little risk for it to become unavailable, but the realaudio files "called"
      by the site's links are probably stored on a personal server which can stop
      any time for various reasons (exactly what is happening this week to the
      online radio I contribute to)

      Thanks, Albert

      P.
    • Jim Hill
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 13, 2007
        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Patrice Champarou"
        <patrice.champarou@...> wrote:

        > Yes, I'll do that, it's part of the game.
        > Would you by any chance happen to be the guy whose first post I
        rejected
        > because all he was thinking of was advertising jazz-on-line? Well,
        you've
        > had your chance now, hope you enjoyed ;-)
        >
        > Patrice

        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Patrice Champarou"
        > Yes, I'll do that, it's part of the game.
        > Would you by any chance happen to be the guy whose first post I
        rejected
        > because all he was thinking of was advertising jazz-on-line? Well,
        you've
        > had your chance now, hope you enjoyed ;-)
        >
        > Patrice

        No, it wasn't me. This is my second post. You may be more into
        dixieland than swing, but it took me plenty of searching to find a
        good site that covers early swing music - and there are many
        redhotjazz type selections, too. I think suggestions from members on
        other (early) jazz music sites would be an asset to this group - they
        could be archived in the Links section. I'm a ham radio operator and
        collect old radios and probably have joined a dozen reflectors/groups
        covering this general topic, and members frequently list links that
        may interest others.

        Jim
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 14, 2007
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 14, 2007
            <patrice.champarou@...> wrote:

            and yes, that might also include
            > Basie, Young or... Christian (did I hear "aaargh!" from the back
            row? ;-)

            At first site I thought this is religious conversation! Hah. After a
            second read I realized it's about Count Basie, Lester Young and
            Charlie Christian.
            :-)
            tommer
          • Jim Hill
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 14, 2007
              <patrice.champarou@...> wrote:

              > I have nothing against jazz-on-line, except that it appears to me
              rather
              > like a site offering free (ahem! *almost* free) samples, than a
              > comprehensive work. And although I am not quite aware of legal
              matters, I am
              > a bit upset by the mention "all the tunes are in the public domain"
              - not
              > that I mind legality for itself, but there must have been, some time,
              > somewhere, people who did work and take financial risks to make
              these side
              > commercially available as clean, digitized files... and I would not
              like
              > this kind of job to cease because everyone feels free to compress and
              > publish whatever they fancied grabbing from CD's. Please tell me
              where I'm
              > wrong, someone.
              >
              > Patrice

              Hi Patrice:
              Jazz-on-line has complete songs, not just samples. I listened to Able
              Lyman's 1933 "Doin the Uptown Lowdown", in a MP3 format (free) while
              writing this email. From my viewpoint, the fee allows people like me,
              who are complete novices, to record selections on a mp3 player. Maybe
              there is a method to record some of the redhotjazz selections on my
              mp3, but I don't know how. I wish redhotjazz had the mp3 record
              option, too. Since my spouse doesn't share my interest in this type
              music, it would be nice. Maybe someone could recommend a site that
              could get me up to speed on recording.

              I can't comment on the legalities. I've assumed that since very few
              people are interested in this music, almost nothing is available
              commercially, and essentially all the composers and performers are
              dead, we are under the radar. As far as work is concerned, someone
              went to plenty of effort to set up redhotjazz. Fortunately for the
              rest of us there are people (including yourself) who are willing to go
              the extra mile. For example, here is a link covering a small niche of
              the radio hobby: www.bentongue.com Ben mentions the company he
              co-founded, but otherwise it is totally non-commercial.

              Patrice, I'll end with a thanks for setting up and monitoring this site.

              Jim
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 14, 2007
                Patrice' point was he suspects that many pieces on jazz-on-line are ripped off commercial CDs, not so much by the majors like BMG/Sony or Universal who usually couldn't care less about jazz, but small, dedicated labels, who have new transfers done of music which has passed into the public domain in Europe, at least. This transfer work is quite expensive - good engineers command their price - meaning that to keep a supply of well-engineered CDs of classic jazz music coming out, enough people have to buy existing releases.

                I think you also misunderstood Patrice' use of "samples", which referred to selections from an artist's work and not to the 30 second excerpts you can hear on Amazon and similar sites to decide whether you want to buy a CD (or in coming times a download).

                Finally, a lot more classic jazz has been made available on CDs than was ever available on LPs.

                Michael Rader

                Karlsruhe, Germany

                > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Patrice Champarou"
                > <patrice.champarou@...> wrote:
                > >

                > > I have nothing against jazz-on-line, except that it appears to me
                > rather
                > > like a site offering free (ahem! *almost* free) samples, than a
                > > comprehensive work. And although I am not quite aware of legal
                > matters, I am
                > > a bit upset by the mention "all the tunes are in the public domain"
                > - not
                > > that I mind legality for itself, but there must have been, some time,
                > > somewhere, people who did work and take financial risks to make
                > these side
                > > commercially available as clean, digitized files... and I would not
                > like
                > > this kind of job to cease because everyone feels free to compress and
                > > publish whatever they fancied grabbing from CD's. Please tell me
                > where I'm
                > > wrong, someone.
                > >
                > > Patrice
                > >
                > Hi Patrice:
                > Jazz-on-line has complete songs, not just samples. I listened to Able
                > Lyman's 1933 "Doin the Uptown Lowdown", in a MP3 format (free) while
                > writing this email. From my viewpoint, the fee allows people like me,
                > who are complete novices, to record selections on a mp3 player. Maybe
                > there is a method to record some of the redhotjazz selections on my
                > mp3, but I don't know how. I wish redhotjazz had the mp3 record
                > option, too. Since my spouse doesn't share my interest in this type
                > music, it would be nice. Maybe someone could recommend a site that
                > could get me up to speed on recording.
                >
                > I can't comment on the legalities. I've assumed that since very few
                > people are interested in this music, almost nothing is available
                > commercially, and essentially all the composers and performers are
                > dead, we are under the radar. As far as work is concerned, someone
                > went to plenty of effort to set up redhotjazz. Fortunately for the
                > rest of us there are people (including yourself) who are willing to go
                > the extra mile. For example, here is a link covering a small niche of
                > the radio hobby: www.bentongue.com Ben mentions the company he
                > co-founded, but otherwise it is totally non-commercial.
                >
                > Patrice, I'll end with a thanks for setting up and monitoring this site.
                >
                > Jim

                Jetzt neu! Im riesigen WEB.DE Club SmartDrive Dateien freigeben und mit
                Freunden teilen! http://www.freemail.web.de/club/smartdrive_ttc.htm/?mc=021134