Re: The Music on the site

  • Albert Haim
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 12, 2007
      Patrice,

      I am sorry about the delay in responding to your suggestion about my
      monitoring the site for function. I just got back from vacation.

      Since I visit the red hot jazz archive almost on a daily basis, it
      would be simple for me to report malfunctions to the group and to
      Scott. As proper function resumes, I would notify the group. I am
      willing to take on this responsibility.

      The system would be simple to implement as long as members of the
      group realize that I have been designated as the contact to monitor
      function and to notify Scott and the group of problems and their
      resolution.

      Alors, Patrice, d'accord?

      Albert

      P.S. At this moment, the site is up but music files are unavailable.

      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Patrice Champarou"

      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 12, 2007
        Patrice has been answering e-mails like this very patiently, but I think it's in order to stress that this mailing list has no responsibility for the redhotjazz web site. Scott Alexander is a member of the list which has a name in common with the site, but that's about it. Please direct all correspondence related to the site directly to Scott - there's a link with his e-mail address and the website and he won't bite anyone's head off. Please also remember that Scott is keeping the site running without charge to anyone.

        You are, of course, very welcome to discuss the music on the site on this list

        Michael Rader (co-moderator)

        Jetzt neu! Schützen Sie Ihren PC mit McAfee und WEB.DE. 3 Monate
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 12, 2007
          > I am sorry about the delay in responding to your suggestion about my
          > monitoring the site for function. I just got back from vacation.
          >
          > Since I visit the red hot jazz archive almost on a daily basis, it
          > would be simple for me to report malfunctions to the group and to
          > Scott. As proper function resumes, I would notify the group. I am
          > willing to take on this responsibility.
          >
          > The system would be simple to implement as long as members of the
          > group realize that I have been designated as the contact to monitor
          > function and to notify Scott and the group of problems and their
          > resolution.
          >
          > Alors, Patrice, d'accord?

          Aucun problème. And since you've sent your reply to the group, I suppose
          there is no need for further notification ;-)

          > P.S. At this moment, the site is up but music files are unavailable.

          This is what always happens. The site is hosted by a provider, and there is
          little risk for it to become unavailable, but the realaudio files "called"
          by the site's links are probably stored on a personal server which can stop
          any time for various reasons (exactly what is happening this week to the
          online radio I contribute to)

          Thanks, Albert

          P.
        • Jim Hill
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 13, 2007
            <patrice.champarou@...> wrote:

            > Yes, I'll do that, it's part of the game.
            > Would you by any chance happen to be the guy whose first post I
            rejected
            > because all he was thinking of was advertising jazz-on-line? Well,
            you've
            > had your chance now, hope you enjoyed ;-)
            >
            > Patrice

            --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Patrice Champarou"
            > Yes, I'll do that, it's part of the game.
            > Would you by any chance happen to be the guy whose first post I
            rejected
            > because all he was thinking of was advertising jazz-on-line? Well,
            you've
            > had your chance now, hope you enjoyed ;-)
            >
            > Patrice

            No, it wasn't me. This is my second post. You may be more into
            dixieland than swing, but it took me plenty of searching to find a
            good site that covers early swing music - and there are many
            redhotjazz type selections, too. I think suggestions from members on
            other (early) jazz music sites would be an asset to this group - they
            could be archived in the Links section. I'm a ham radio operator and
            collect old radios and probably have joined a dozen reflectors/groups
            covering this general topic, and members frequently list links that
            may interest others.

            Jim
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 14, 2007
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 14, 2007
                <patrice.champarou@...> wrote:

                and yes, that might also include
                > Basie, Young or... Christian (did I hear "aaargh!" from the back
                row? ;-)

                At first site I thought this is religious conversation! Hah. After a
                second read I realized it's about Count Basie, Lester Young and
                Charlie Christian.
                :-)
                tommer
              • Jim Hill
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 14, 2007
                  <patrice.champarou@...> wrote:

                  > I have nothing against jazz-on-line, except that it appears to me
                  rather
                  > like a site offering free (ahem! *almost* free) samples, than a
                  > comprehensive work. And although I am not quite aware of legal
                  matters, I am
                  > a bit upset by the mention "all the tunes are in the public domain"
                  - not
                  > that I mind legality for itself, but there must have been, some time,
                  > somewhere, people who did work and take financial risks to make
                  these side
                  > commercially available as clean, digitized files... and I would not
                  like
                  > this kind of job to cease because everyone feels free to compress and
                  > publish whatever they fancied grabbing from CD's. Please tell me
                  where I'm
                  > wrong, someone.
                  >
                  > Patrice

                  Hi Patrice:
                  Jazz-on-line has complete songs, not just samples. I listened to Able
                  Lyman's 1933 "Doin the Uptown Lowdown", in a MP3 format (free) while
                  writing this email. From my viewpoint, the fee allows people like me,
                  who are complete novices, to record selections on a mp3 player. Maybe
                  there is a method to record some of the redhotjazz selections on my
                  mp3, but I don't know how. I wish redhotjazz had the mp3 record
                  option, too. Since my spouse doesn't share my interest in this type
                  music, it would be nice. Maybe someone could recommend a site that
                  could get me up to speed on recording.

                  I can't comment on the legalities. I've assumed that since very few
                  people are interested in this music, almost nothing is available
                  commercially, and essentially all the composers and performers are
                  dead, we are under the radar. As far as work is concerned, someone
                  went to plenty of effort to set up redhotjazz. Fortunately for the
                  rest of us there are people (including yourself) who are willing to go
                  the extra mile. For example, here is a link covering a small niche of
                  the radio hobby: www.bentongue.com Ben mentions the company he
                  co-founded, but otherwise it is totally non-commercial.

                  Patrice, I'll end with a thanks for setting up and monitoring this site.

                  Jim
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 14, 2007
                    Patrice' point was he suspects that many pieces on jazz-on-line are ripped off commercial CDs, not so much by the majors like BMG/Sony or Universal who usually couldn't care less about jazz, but small, dedicated labels, who have new transfers done of music which has passed into the public domain in Europe, at least. This transfer work is quite expensive - good engineers command their price - meaning that to keep a supply of well-engineered CDs of classic jazz music coming out, enough people have to buy existing releases.

                    I think you also misunderstood Patrice' use of "samples", which referred to selections from an artist's work and not to the 30 second excerpts you can hear on Amazon and similar sites to decide whether you want to buy a CD (or in coming times a download).

                    Finally, a lot more classic jazz has been made available on CDs than was ever available on LPs.

                    Michael Rader

                    Karlsruhe, Germany

                    > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Patrice Champarou"
                    > <patrice.champarou@...> wrote:
                    > >

                    > > I have nothing against jazz-on-line, except that it appears to me
                    > rather
                    > > like a site offering free (ahem! *almost* free) samples, than a
                    > > comprehensive work. And although I am not quite aware of legal
                    > matters, I am
                    > > a bit upset by the mention "all the tunes are in the public domain"
                    > - not
                    > > that I mind legality for itself, but there must have been, some time,
                    > > somewhere, people who did work and take financial risks to make
                    > these side
                    > > commercially available as clean, digitized files... and I would not
                    > like
                    > > this kind of job to cease because everyone feels free to compress and
                    > > publish whatever they fancied grabbing from CD's. Please tell me
                    > where I'm
                    > > wrong, someone.
                    > >
                    > > Patrice
                    > >
                    > Hi Patrice:
                    > Jazz-on-line has complete songs, not just samples. I listened to Able
                    > Lyman's 1933 "Doin the Uptown Lowdown", in a MP3 format (free) while
                    > writing this email. From my viewpoint, the fee allows people like me,
                    > who are complete novices, to record selections on a mp3 player. Maybe
                    > there is a method to record some of the redhotjazz selections on my
                    > mp3, but I don't know how. I wish redhotjazz had the mp3 record
                    > option, too. Since my spouse doesn't share my interest in this type
                    > music, it would be nice. Maybe someone could recommend a site that
                    > could get me up to speed on recording.
                    >
                    > I can't comment on the legalities. I've assumed that since very few
                    > people are interested in this music, almost nothing is available
                    > commercially, and essentially all the composers and performers are
                    > dead, we are under the radar. As far as work is concerned, someone
                    > went to plenty of effort to set up redhotjazz. Fortunately for the
                    > rest of us there are people (including yourself) who are willing to go
                    > the extra mile. For example, here is a link covering a small niche of
                    > the radio hobby: www.bentongue.com Ben mentions the company he
                    > co-founded, but otherwise it is totally non-commercial.
                    >
                    > Patrice, I'll end with a thanks for setting up and monitoring this site.
                    >
                    > Jim

                    Jetzt neu! Im riesigen WEB.DE Club SmartDrive Dateien freigeben und mit
                    Freunden teilen! http://www.freemail.web.de/club/smartdrive_ttc.htm/?mc=021134