Re: The Music on the site

    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 12, 2007
      > Patrice (or others)- Could you post when redhotjazz is running again?

      Yes, I'll do that, it's part of the game.
      Would you by any chance happen to be the guy whose first post I rejected
      because all he was thinking of was advertising jazz-on-line? Well, you've
      had your chance now, hope you enjoyed ;-)

      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 12, 2007
        OK, I've just emailed Scott, but since his group settings are on "individual
        messages" and no incident has been reported, I suppose he is currently away
        from his computer, or simply *very* busy like the rest of us most of the
        time.
        I'll try to see what I can do to warn everyone about the occasional failures
        of the RHJ server, and suggest once and for all that it is a very bad idea
        to accuse one's system or realaudio version in the first place, unless you
        do wish to try your own nerves.

        Erm... I also deleted five more messages today which just read "it does not
        work",
        hope everyone can understand. Many of you are still under moderation for
        lots of reason, and I'll do my best to alter that before the end of the year
        (after all, this is supposed to be an unmoderated group, but one crazy thing
        with Yahoo is that new members sometimes do not appear in the list before a
        couple of days, time to forget about them!) but I'm afraid I will have to
        pick relevant posters only.
        And to whoever I won't name, it is no use sending the same message three
        times when not approved, I reply privately whenever I can but I cannot make
        a full-time job of it, and I trust that everyone can conclude by themselves,
        from other messages, that their statements were a bit redundant! ;-)

        Patrice
      • Albert Haim
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 12, 2007
          Patrice,

          I am sorry about the delay in responding to your suggestion about my
          monitoring the site for function. I just got back from vacation.

          Since I visit the red hot jazz archive almost on a daily basis, it
          would be simple for me to report malfunctions to the group and to
          Scott. As proper function resumes, I would notify the group. I am
          willing to take on this responsibility.

          The system would be simple to implement as long as members of the
          group realize that I have been designated as the contact to monitor
          function and to notify Scott and the group of problems and their
          resolution.

          Alors, Patrice, d'accord?

          Albert

          P.S. At this moment, the site is up but music files are unavailable.

          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Patrice Champarou"

          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 12, 2007
            Patrice has been answering e-mails like this very patiently, but I think it's in order to stress that this mailing list has no responsibility for the redhotjazz web site. Scott Alexander is a member of the list which has a name in common with the site, but that's about it. Please direct all correspondence related to the site directly to Scott - there's a link with his e-mail address and the website and he won't bite anyone's head off. Please also remember that Scott is keeping the site running without charge to anyone.

            You are, of course, very welcome to discuss the music on the site on this list

            Michael Rader (co-moderator)

            Jetzt neu! Schützen Sie Ihren PC mit McAfee und WEB.DE. 3 Monate
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 12, 2007
              From: "Albert Haim"

              > Patrice,
              >
              > I am sorry about the delay in responding to your suggestion about my
              > monitoring the site for function. I just got back from vacation.
              >
              > Since I visit the red hot jazz archive almost on a daily basis, it
              > would be simple for me to report malfunctions to the group and to
              > Scott. As proper function resumes, I would notify the group. I am
              > willing to take on this responsibility.
              >
              > The system would be simple to implement as long as members of the
              > group realize that I have been designated as the contact to monitor
              > function and to notify Scott and the group of problems and their
              > resolution.
              >
              > Alors, Patrice, d'accord?

              Aucun problème. And since you've sent your reply to the group, I suppose
              there is no need for further notification ;-)

              > P.S. At this moment, the site is up but music files are unavailable.

              This is what always happens. The site is hosted by a provider, and there is
              little risk for it to become unavailable, but the realaudio files "called"
              by the site's links are probably stored on a personal server which can stop
              any time for various reasons (exactly what is happening this week to the
              online radio I contribute to)

              Thanks, Albert

              P.
            • Jim Hill
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 13, 2007
                <patrice.champarou@...> wrote:

                > Yes, I'll do that, it's part of the game.
                > Would you by any chance happen to be the guy whose first post I
                rejected
                > because all he was thinking of was advertising jazz-on-line? Well,
                you've
                > had your chance now, hope you enjoyed ;-)
                >
                > Patrice

                --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Patrice Champarou"
                > Yes, I'll do that, it's part of the game.
                > Would you by any chance happen to be the guy whose first post I
                rejected
                > because all he was thinking of was advertising jazz-on-line? Well,
                you've
                > had your chance now, hope you enjoyed ;-)
                >
                > Patrice

                No, it wasn't me. This is my second post. You may be more into
                dixieland than swing, but it took me plenty of searching to find a
                good site that covers early swing music - and there are many
                redhotjazz type selections, too. I think suggestions from members on
                other (early) jazz music sites would be an asset to this group - they
                could be archived in the Links section. I'm a ham radio operator and
                collect old radios and probably have joined a dozen reflectors/groups
                covering this general topic, and members frequently list links that
                may interest others.

                Jim
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 14, 2007
                  From: "Jim Hill"

                  > [...]No, it wasn't me. This is my second post. You may be more into
                  > dixieland than swing, but it took me plenty of searching to find a
                  > good site that covers early swing music [...]

                  Sorry then ;-)

                  In fact the reason why I subtitled the group "from ragtime to swing" (after
                  an old James P. Johnson LP, and probably many more albums bearing the same
                  name) was that I did not see any reason for the group's topic to be
                  restricted to what is likeley to appear on the Red Hot Jazz website. Classic
                  ragtime at one end, early swing music at the other, are part of what I
                  consider as aspects of pre-war jazz - and yes, that might also include
                  Basie, Young or... Christian (did I hear "aaargh!" from the back row? ;-)

                  I have nothing against jazz-on-line, except that it appears to me rather
                  like a site offering free (ahem! *almost* free) samples, than a
                  comprehensive work. And although I am not quite aware of legal matters, I am
                  a bit upset by the mention "all the tunes are in the public domain" - not
                  that I mind legality for itself, but there must have been, some time,
                  somewhere, people who did work and take financial risks to make these side
                  commercially available as clean, digitized files... and I would not like
                  this kind of job to cease because everyone feels free to compress and
                  publish whatever they fancied grabbing from CD's. Please tell me where I'm
                  wrong, someone.

                  Patrice
                • Tommer
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 14, 2007
                    <patrice.champarou@...> wrote:

                    and yes, that might also include
                    > Basie, Young or... Christian (did I hear "aaargh!" from the back
                    row? ;-)

                    At first site I thought this is religious conversation! Hah. After a
                    second read I realized it's about Count Basie, Lester Young and
                    Charlie Christian.
                    :-)
                    tommer
                  • Jim Hill
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 14, 2007
                      <patrice.champarou@...> wrote:

                      > I have nothing against jazz-on-line, except that it appears to me
                      rather
                      > like a site offering free (ahem! *almost* free) samples, than a
                      > comprehensive work. And although I am not quite aware of legal
                      matters, I am
                      > a bit upset by the mention "all the tunes are in the public domain"
                      - not
                      > that I mind legality for itself, but there must have been, some time,
                      > somewhere, people who did work and take financial risks to make
                      these side
                      > commercially available as clean, digitized files... and I would not
                      like
                      > this kind of job to cease because everyone feels free to compress and
                      > publish whatever they fancied grabbing from CD's. Please tell me
                      where I'm
                      > wrong, someone.
                      >
                      > Patrice

                      Hi Patrice:
                      Jazz-on-line has complete songs, not just samples. I listened to Able
                      Lyman's 1933 "Doin the Uptown Lowdown", in a MP3 format (free) while
                      writing this email. From my viewpoint, the fee allows people like me,
                      who are complete novices, to record selections on a mp3 player. Maybe
                      there is a method to record some of the redhotjazz selections on my
                      mp3, but I don't know how. I wish redhotjazz had the mp3 record
                      option, too. Since my spouse doesn't share my interest in this type
                      music, it would be nice. Maybe someone could recommend a site that
                      could get me up to speed on recording.

                      I can't comment on the legalities. I've assumed that since very few
                      people are interested in this music, almost nothing is available
                      commercially, and essentially all the composers and performers are
                      dead, we are under the radar. As far as work is concerned, someone
                      went to plenty of effort to set up redhotjazz. Fortunately for the
                      rest of us there are people (including yourself) who are willing to go
                      the extra mile. For example, here is a link covering a small niche of
                      the radio hobby: www.bentongue.com Ben mentions the company he
                      co-founded, but otherwise it is totally non-commercial.

                      Patrice, I'll end with a thanks for setting up and monitoring this site.

                      Jim
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 14, 2007
                        Patrice' point was he suspects that many pieces on jazz-on-line are ripped off commercial CDs, not so much by the majors like BMG/Sony or Universal who usually couldn't care less about jazz, but small, dedicated labels, who have new transfers done of music which has passed into the public domain in Europe, at least. This transfer work is quite expensive - good engineers command their price - meaning that to keep a supply of well-engineered CDs of classic jazz music coming out, enough people have to buy existing releases.

                        I think you also misunderstood Patrice' use of "samples", which referred to selections from an artist's work and not to the 30 second excerpts you can hear on Amazon and similar sites to decide whether you want to buy a CD (or in coming times a download).

                        Finally, a lot more classic jazz has been made available on CDs than was ever available on LPs.

                        Michael Rader

                        Karlsruhe, Germany

                        > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Patrice Champarou"
                        > <patrice.champarou@...> wrote:
                        > >

                        > > I have nothing against jazz-on-line, except that it appears to me
                        > rather
                        > > like a site offering free (ahem! *almost* free) samples, than a
                        > > comprehensive work. And although I am not quite aware of legal
                        > matters, I am
                        > > a bit upset by the mention "all the tunes are in the public domain"
                        > - not
                        > > that I mind legality for itself, but there must have been, some time,
                        > > somewhere, people who did work and take financial risks to make
                        > these side
                        > > commercially available as clean, digitized files... and I would not
                        > like
                        > > this kind of job to cease because everyone feels free to compress and
                        > > publish whatever they fancied grabbing from CD's. Please tell me
                        > where I'm
                        > > wrong, someone.
                        > >
                        > > Patrice
                        > >
                        > Hi Patrice:
                        > Jazz-on-line has complete songs, not just samples. I listened to Able
                        > Lyman's 1933 "Doin the Uptown Lowdown", in a MP3 format (free) while
                        > writing this email. From my viewpoint, the fee allows people like me,
                        > who are complete novices, to record selections on a mp3 player. Maybe
                        > there is a method to record some of the redhotjazz selections on my
                        > mp3, but I don't know how. I wish redhotjazz had the mp3 record
                        > option, too. Since my spouse doesn't share my interest in this type
                        > music, it would be nice. Maybe someone could recommend a site that
                        > could get me up to speed on recording.
                        >
                        > I can't comment on the legalities. I've assumed that since very few
                        > people are interested in this music, almost nothing is available
                        > commercially, and essentially all the composers and performers are
                        > dead, we are under the radar. As far as work is concerned, someone
                        > went to plenty of effort to set up redhotjazz. Fortunately for the
                        > rest of us there are people (including yourself) who are willing to go
                        > the extra mile. For example, here is a link covering a small niche of
                        > the radio hobby: www.bentongue.com Ben mentions the company he
                        > co-founded, but otherwise it is totally non-commercial.
                        >
                        > Patrice, I'll end with a thanks for setting up and monitoring this site.
                        >
                        > Jim

                        Jetzt neu! Im riesigen WEB.DE Club SmartDrive Dateien freigeben und mit
                        Freunden teilen! http://www.freemail.web.de/club/smartdrive_ttc.htm/?mc=021134