The Music on the site

  • ddh313
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 12, 2007
      Hello,

      I'm a new member here and I'm wondering what I might be doing wrong. When I click on any
      of the tunes on the website the Real player says"Could not connect to Server using HTTP."
      When I click on help the Real Player says my software is out of date. I use the Mac OS 10.4.11
      and I've redownloaded RealPlayer 10 which gave me the same error, and the RealPlayer 11
      beta which also gave me the same error. I'd sure appreciate any suggestions as to how I
      might enjoy this wonderful site. Thanks in advance!
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 12, 2007
        > Hello,
        >
        > I'm a new member here and I'm wondering what I might be doing wrong. When
        > I click on any
        > of the tunes on the website the Real player says"Could not connect to
        > Server using HTTP."
        > When I click on help the Real Player says my software is out of date. I
        > use the Mac OS 10.4.11
        > and I've redownloaded RealPlayer 10 which gave me the same error, and the
        > RealPlayer 11
        > beta which also gave me the same error. I'd sure appreciate any
        > suggestions as to how I
        > might enjoy this wonderful site. Thanks in advance!

        Please do not take offense, but it would be a good thing if all new members
        had a look at the (public) previous messeges from the group's website before
        joining. Or should I add "don't touch your realplayer settings" to the
        welcome message?
        I'll email Scott as soon as possible, guessing he's not even aware that the
        sever is down again.

        Patrice
      • Jim Hill
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 12, 2007
          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "ddh313" <ddh313@...> wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > I'm a new member here and I'm wondering what I might be doing wrong.
          When I click on any
          > of the tunes on the website the Real player says"Could not connect
          to Server using HTTP.

          I joined very recently, and had the same problem. A good test to
          verify your setup is ok is to check another music site. An excellent
          choice is http://www.jazz-on-line.com/ You can enjoy some good music
          during the test.

          Patrice (or others)- Could you post when redhotjazz is running again?

          Jim
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 12, 2007
            > Patrice (or others)- Could you post when redhotjazz is running again?

            Yes, I'll do that, it's part of the game.
            Would you by any chance happen to be the guy whose first post I rejected
            because all he was thinking of was advertising jazz-on-line? Well, you've
            had your chance now, hope you enjoyed ;-)

            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 12, 2007
              OK, I've just emailed Scott, but since his group settings are on "individual
              messages" and no incident has been reported, I suppose he is currently away
              from his computer, or simply *very* busy like the rest of us most of the
              time.
              I'll try to see what I can do to warn everyone about the occasional failures
              of the RHJ server, and suggest once and for all that it is a very bad idea
              to accuse one's system or realaudio version in the first place, unless you
              do wish to try your own nerves.

              Erm... I also deleted five more messages today which just read "it does not
              work",
              hope everyone can understand. Many of you are still under moderation for
              lots of reason, and I'll do my best to alter that before the end of the year
              (after all, this is supposed to be an unmoderated group, but one crazy thing
              with Yahoo is that new members sometimes do not appear in the list before a
              couple of days, time to forget about them!) but I'm afraid I will have to
              pick relevant posters only.
              And to whoever I won't name, it is no use sending the same message three
              times when not approved, I reply privately whenever I can but I cannot make
              a full-time job of it, and I trust that everyone can conclude by themselves,
              from other messages, that their statements were a bit redundant! ;-)

              Patrice
            • Albert Haim
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 12, 2007
                Patrice,

                I am sorry about the delay in responding to your suggestion about my
                monitoring the site for function. I just got back from vacation.

                Since I visit the red hot jazz archive almost on a daily basis, it
                would be simple for me to report malfunctions to the group and to
                Scott. As proper function resumes, I would notify the group. I am
                willing to take on this responsibility.

                The system would be simple to implement as long as members of the
                group realize that I have been designated as the contact to monitor
                function and to notify Scott and the group of problems and their
                resolution.

                Alors, Patrice, d'accord?

                Albert

                P.S. At this moment, the site is up but music files are unavailable.

                --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Patrice Champarou"

                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 12, 2007
                  Patrice has been answering e-mails like this very patiently, but I think it's in order to stress that this mailing list has no responsibility for the redhotjazz web site. Scott Alexander is a member of the list which has a name in common with the site, but that's about it. Please direct all correspondence related to the site directly to Scott - there's a link with his e-mail address and the website and he won't bite anyone's head off. Please also remember that Scott is keeping the site running without charge to anyone.

                  You are, of course, very welcome to discuss the music on the site on this list

                  Michael Rader (co-moderator)

                  Jetzt neu! Schützen Sie Ihren PC mit McAfee und WEB.DE. 3 Monate
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 12, 2007
                    From: "Albert Haim"

                    > Patrice,
                    >
                    > I am sorry about the delay in responding to your suggestion about my
                    > monitoring the site for function. I just got back from vacation.
                    >
                    > Since I visit the red hot jazz archive almost on a daily basis, it
                    > would be simple for me to report malfunctions to the group and to
                    > Scott. As proper function resumes, I would notify the group. I am
                    > willing to take on this responsibility.
                    >
                    > The system would be simple to implement as long as members of the
                    > group realize that I have been designated as the contact to monitor
                    > function and to notify Scott and the group of problems and their
                    > resolution.
                    >
                    > Alors, Patrice, d'accord?

                    Aucun problème. And since you've sent your reply to the group, I suppose
                    there is no need for further notification ;-)

                    > P.S. At this moment, the site is up but music files are unavailable.

                    This is what always happens. The site is hosted by a provider, and there is
                    little risk for it to become unavailable, but the realaudio files "called"
                    by the site's links are probably stored on a personal server which can stop
                    any time for various reasons (exactly what is happening this week to the
                    online radio I contribute to)

                    Thanks, Albert

                    P.
                  • Jim Hill
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 13, 2007
                      <patrice.champarou@...> wrote:

                      > Yes, I'll do that, it's part of the game.
                      > Would you by any chance happen to be the guy whose first post I
                      rejected
                      > because all he was thinking of was advertising jazz-on-line? Well,
                      you've
                      > had your chance now, hope you enjoyed ;-)
                      >
                      > Patrice

                      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Patrice Champarou"
                      > Yes, I'll do that, it's part of the game.
                      > Would you by any chance happen to be the guy whose first post I
                      rejected
                      > because all he was thinking of was advertising jazz-on-line? Well,
                      you've
                      > had your chance now, hope you enjoyed ;-)
                      >
                      > Patrice

                      No, it wasn't me. This is my second post. You may be more into
                      dixieland than swing, but it took me plenty of searching to find a
                      good site that covers early swing music - and there are many
                      redhotjazz type selections, too. I think suggestions from members on
                      other (early) jazz music sites would be an asset to this group - they
                      could be archived in the Links section. I'm a ham radio operator and
                      collect old radios and probably have joined a dozen reflectors/groups
                      covering this general topic, and members frequently list links that
                      may interest others.

                      Jim
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 14, 2007
                        From: "Jim Hill"

                        > [...]No, it wasn't me. This is my second post. You may be more into
                        > dixieland than swing, but it took me plenty of searching to find a
                        > good site that covers early swing music [...]

                        Sorry then ;-)

                        In fact the reason why I subtitled the group "from ragtime to swing" (after
                        an old James P. Johnson LP, and probably many more albums bearing the same
                        name) was that I did not see any reason for the group's topic to be
                        restricted to what is likeley to appear on the Red Hot Jazz website. Classic
                        ragtime at one end, early swing music at the other, are part of what I
                        consider as aspects of pre-war jazz - and yes, that might also include
                        Basie, Young or... Christian (did I hear "aaargh!" from the back row? ;-)

                        I have nothing against jazz-on-line, except that it appears to me rather
                        like a site offering free (ahem! *almost* free) samples, than a
                        comprehensive work. And although I am not quite aware of legal matters, I am
                        a bit upset by the mention "all the tunes are in the public domain" - not
                        that I mind legality for itself, but there must have been, some time,
                        somewhere, people who did work and take financial risks to make these side
                        commercially available as clean, digitized files... and I would not like
                        this kind of job to cease because everyone feels free to compress and
                        publish whatever they fancied grabbing from CD's. Please tell me where I'm
                        wrong, someone.

                        Patrice
                      • Tommer
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 14, 2007
                          <patrice.champarou@...> wrote:

                          and yes, that might also include
                          > Basie, Young or... Christian (did I hear "aaargh!" from the back
                          row? ;-)

                          At first site I thought this is religious conversation! Hah. After a
                          second read I realized it's about Count Basie, Lester Young and
                          Charlie Christian.
                          :-)
                          tommer
                        • Jim Hill
                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 14, 2007
                            <patrice.champarou@...> wrote:

                            > I have nothing against jazz-on-line, except that it appears to me
                            rather
                            > like a site offering free (ahem! *almost* free) samples, than a
                            > comprehensive work. And although I am not quite aware of legal
                            matters, I am
                            > a bit upset by the mention "all the tunes are in the public domain"
                            - not
                            > that I mind legality for itself, but there must have been, some time,
                            > somewhere, people who did work and take financial risks to make
                            these side
                            > commercially available as clean, digitized files... and I would not
                            like
                            > this kind of job to cease because everyone feels free to compress and
                            > publish whatever they fancied grabbing from CD's. Please tell me
                            where I'm
                            > wrong, someone.
                            >
                            > Patrice

                            Hi Patrice:
                            Jazz-on-line has complete songs, not just samples. I listened to Able
                            Lyman's 1933 "Doin the Uptown Lowdown", in a MP3 format (free) while
                            writing this email. From my viewpoint, the fee allows people like me,
                            who are complete novices, to record selections on a mp3 player. Maybe
                            there is a method to record some of the redhotjazz selections on my
                            mp3, but I don't know how. I wish redhotjazz had the mp3 record
                            option, too. Since my spouse doesn't share my interest in this type
                            music, it would be nice. Maybe someone could recommend a site that
                            could get me up to speed on recording.

                            I can't comment on the legalities. I've assumed that since very few
                            people are interested in this music, almost nothing is available
                            commercially, and essentially all the composers and performers are
                            dead, we are under the radar. As far as work is concerned, someone
                            went to plenty of effort to set up redhotjazz. Fortunately for the
                            rest of us there are people (including yourself) who are willing to go
                            the extra mile. For example, here is a link covering a small niche of
                            the radio hobby: www.bentongue.com Ben mentions the company he
                            co-founded, but otherwise it is totally non-commercial.

                            Patrice, I'll end with a thanks for setting up and monitoring this site.

                            Jim
                            Message 13 of 13 , Dec 14, 2007
                              Patrice' point was he suspects that many pieces on jazz-on-line are ripped off commercial CDs, not so much by the majors like BMG/Sony or Universal who usually couldn't care less about jazz, but small, dedicated labels, who have new transfers done of music which has passed into the public domain in Europe, at least. This transfer work is quite expensive - good engineers command their price - meaning that to keep a supply of well-engineered CDs of classic jazz music coming out, enough people have to buy existing releases.

                              I think you also misunderstood Patrice' use of "samples", which referred to selections from an artist's work and not to the 30 second excerpts you can hear on Amazon and similar sites to decide whether you want to buy a CD (or in coming times a download).

                              Finally, a lot more classic jazz has been made available on CDs than was ever available on LPs.

                              Michael Rader

                              Karlsruhe, Germany

                              > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Patrice Champarou"
                              > <patrice.champarou@...> wrote:
                              > >

                              > > I have nothing against jazz-on-line, except that it appears to me
                              > rather
                              > > like a site offering free (ahem! *almost* free) samples, than a
                              > > comprehensive work. And although I am not quite aware of legal
                              > matters, I am
                              > > a bit upset by the mention "all the tunes are in the public domain"
                              > - not
                              > > that I mind legality for itself, but there must have been, some time,
                              > > somewhere, people who did work and take financial risks to make
                              > these side
                              > > commercially available as clean, digitized files... and I would not
                              > like
                              > > this kind of job to cease because everyone feels free to compress and
                              > > publish whatever they fancied grabbing from CD's. Please tell me
                              > where I'm
                              > > wrong, someone.
                              > >
                              > > Patrice
                              > >
                              > Hi Patrice:
                              > Jazz-on-line has complete songs, not just samples. I listened to Able
                              > Lyman's 1933 "Doin the Uptown Lowdown", in a MP3 format (free) while
                              > writing this email. From my viewpoint, the fee allows people like me,
                              > who are complete novices, to record selections on a mp3 player. Maybe
                              > there is a method to record some of the redhotjazz selections on my
                              > mp3, but I don't know how. I wish redhotjazz had the mp3 record
                              > option, too. Since my spouse doesn't share my interest in this type
                              > music, it would be nice. Maybe someone could recommend a site that
                              > could get me up to speed on recording.
                              >
                              > I can't comment on the legalities. I've assumed that since very few
                              > people are interested in this music, almost nothing is available
                              > commercially, and essentially all the composers and performers are
                              > dead, we are under the radar. As far as work is concerned, someone
                              > went to plenty of effort to set up redhotjazz. Fortunately for the
                              > rest of us there are people (including yourself) who are willing to go
                              > the extra mile. For example, here is a link covering a small niche of
                              > the radio hobby: www.bentongue.com Ben mentions the company he
                              > co-founded, but otherwise it is totally non-commercial.
                              >
                              > Patrice, I'll end with a thanks for setting up and monitoring this site.
                              >
                              > Jim

                              Jetzt neu! Im riesigen WEB.DE Club SmartDrive Dateien freigeben und mit
                              Freunden teilen! http://www.freemail.web.de/club/smartdrive_ttc.htm/?mc=021134