Re: JSP Waller box question...

  • spacelights
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 3, 2007
      Excellent, thank you Michael and Ted Kendall. I've just listened, and
      do hear portions of Take 3 in "Take 2". Also, since "Take 2" has a
      unique introduction, and Take 3 begins in progress (is it complete on
      the JSP?), it would seem the only unedited version is Take 1.

      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Michael Rader <Rader.Michael@...>
      wrote:

      > John
      >
      > I received a reply from Ted Kendall this morning. It appears there
      is no discovered take 2. The orignal issue on RFW is take 3 with some
      bits chopped out and at a different speed. Takes 1 and 3 were
      transferred from vinyl tests which explains the good quality on the
      JSP set. Ted suggests that take 2 might have been a breakdown or got
      lost in processing, but is not known to exist.

      > Best,
      >
      > Michael

    • Walter Five
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 5, 2007
        Now you see? This is why I joined this group! I wasn't even aware that JSP had put out a series of Waller Box Sets!!! High time *somebody* did! I bought the complete series of "Fats Waller & His Rhythm" releases a decade ago, six volumes, and like 14 or 16 discs all told, great stuff, but could never find anything else that was at all comprehensive!

        When is someone going to do this for Jolie??? I just got the complete discography book, and I'm simply droolin'!

        Thanks!

        P.S. Volume 1 already on its way! :-)

        spacelights <spacelights@...> wrote:
        I've been enjoying Volume 1 (1922-1928) which seems well and truly
        "complete", with all the alternative takes. I've not heard Volume 2
        (1929-1934), but I notice the tracklist includes only two takes of the
        1929 pipe organ solo "Baby Oh! Where Can You Be?" (also recorded as a
        piano solo). I think three takes of the organ solo circulate; does
        someone know why only two were included?

      • Dan Van Landingham
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 5, 2007
          Not to change the subject but can anyone out there tell me about a recording date that
          featured trombonist Walter "Pee Wee" Hunt,clarinetist Matty Matlock and bassist Morty
          Corb?The album was a bunch of dixieland standards that came out on one of those eco-
          nomy labels here in the U.S.(in this case,"Golden Tone" Records)around 45 to 50 years
          ago.These were the kind of albums I saw in places like Sprouse-Reitz and department
          stores with such names as "The 88 Cent Store"The cumutive personnel included my
          late friend Al Hendrickson and other session musicians I knew who used to do this ki-
          nd of thing.I don't know if Brian Rust ever listed these kind of dates in his discographical
          book or not.Speaking of discographies,is there a site on the web where I might go to find
          such information.