Old Fashioned Love / Benny Goodman

  • Alexandre Litwak
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 3, 2007
      Hello,

      I've got a record of Benny Goodman playing "Old Fashioned Love". It's a small combo and I think it was with Charlie Christan (elec guitar) Teddy Wilson (pn) and Lionel Hampton (vib) but I don't know who play the bass (jhon kirby ? ) and when it was recorded ..

      Do you have these informations ?

      Alexandre Litwak
      Paris, France

    • Agustin Perez Gasco
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 3, 2007
        I haven't got my discographical sources here, but that may be the Camel Caravan Broadcast (1939), included in "Benny Goodman - Class of '39" (Collector's Choice CD).

        Collective personnel for that disc is:

        Benny Goodman (clarinet); Lionel Hampton (vibraphone, drums); Teddy Wilson, Jess Stacy, Fletcher Henderson (piano); Charlie Christian, Leonard Ware, George Rose (guitar); Al Hall, Artie Bernstein (bass); Gene Krupa, Buddy Schutz, Nick Fatool (drums).

        Best regards,
        Agustín

        Alexandre Litwak <litwakalex2000@...> wrote:
        Hello,

        I've got a record of Benny Goodman playing "Old Fashioned Love". It's a small combo and I think it was with Charlie Christan (elec guitar) Teddy Wilson (pn) and Lionel Hampton (vib) but I don't know who play the bass (jhon kirby ? ) and when it was recorded ..

        Do you have these informations ?

        Alexandre Litwak
        Paris, France

        .

      • jaykay_4444
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 3, 2007
          You are probably referring to the May 9, 1939 recording at the CBS
          Studios in St. Louis, with Goodman, Stacy(p),Hampton(vb), Bernstein
          (b), and George Rose(eg), in a group billed as "The New Benny Goodman
          Quintet."

          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Agustin Perez Gasco