Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: JSP Waller box question...

    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 3, 2007
      John

      I received a reply from Ted Kendall this morning. It appears there is no discovered take 2. The orignal issue on RFW is take 3 with some bits chopped out and at a different speed. Takes 1 and 3 were transferred from vinyl tests which explains the good quality on the JSP set. Ted suggests that take 2 might have been a breakdown or got lost in processing, but is not known to exist.

      Best,

      Michael

      Jetzt testen! http://produkte.web.de/club/?mc=021130
    • spacelights
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 3, 2007
        Excellent, thank you Michael and Ted Kendall. I've just listened, and
        do hear portions of Take 3 in "Take 2". Also, since "Take 2" has a
        unique introduction, and Take 3 begins in progress (is it complete on
        the JSP?), it would seem the only unedited version is Take 1.

        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Michael Rader <Rader.Michael@...>
        wrote:

        > John
        >
        > I received a reply from Ted Kendall this morning. It appears there
        is no discovered take 2. The orignal issue on RFW is take 3 with some
        bits chopped out and at a different speed. Takes 1 and 3 were
        transferred from vinyl tests which explains the good quality on the
        JSP set. Ted suggests that take 2 might have been a breakdown or got
        lost in processing, but is not known to exist.

        > Best,
        >
        > Michael

      • Walter Five
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 5, 2007
          Now you see? This is why I joined this group! I wasn't even aware that JSP had put out a series of Waller Box Sets!!! High time *somebody* did! I bought the complete series of "Fats Waller & His Rhythm" releases a decade ago, six volumes, and like 14 or 16 discs all told, great stuff, but could never find anything else that was at all comprehensive!

          When is someone going to do this for Jolie??? I just got the complete discography book, and I'm simply droolin'!

          Thanks!

          P.S. Volume 1 already on its way! :-)

          spacelights <spacelights@...> wrote:
          I've been enjoying Volume 1 (1922-1928) which seems well and truly
          "complete", with all the alternative takes. I've not heard Volume 2
          (1929-1934), but I notice the tracklist includes only two takes of the
          1929 pipe organ solo "Baby Oh! Where Can You Be?" (also recorded as a
          piano solo). I think three takes of the organ solo circulate; does
          someone know why only two were included?

        • Dan Van Landingham
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 5, 2007
            Not to change the subject but can anyone out there tell me about a recording date that
            featured trombonist Walter "Pee Wee" Hunt,clarinetist Matty Matlock and bassist Morty
            Corb?The album was a bunch of dixieland standards that came out on one of those eco-
            nomy labels here in the U.S.(in this case,"Golden Tone" Records)around 45 to 50 years
            ago.These were the kind of albums I saw in places like Sprouse-Reitz and department
            stores with such names as "The 88 Cent Store"The cumutive personnel included my
            late friend Al Hendrickson and other session musicians I knew who used to do this ki-
            nd of thing.I don't know if Brian Rust ever listed these kind of dates in his discographical
            book or not.Speaking of discographies,is there a site on the web where I might go to find
            such information.