Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: JSP Waller box question...

    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 2, 2007
      John

      I listened to the CD transfers I made of my French RCA (Black and White) LPs yesterday and I think take 2 has a skip, which might be the reason that it hasn't been used in the box - although I should also go back to the LP before making such assertions. The sleeve notes also may have something on the different takes.

      All three takes on the Black and White sounded rather poor, maybe from tape copies? The JSP sounds very good in comparison - either they had access to the originals or Ted Kendall can indeed work wonders. Maybe we'll find out something if I get replies to e-mails I sent to both Ted Kendall and Stephen Taylor - author of a recent discography on Waller, who seems to be supporting JSP with the set.

      Cheers,

      Michael

      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 3, 2007
        John

        I received a reply from Ted Kendall this morning. It appears there is no discovered take 2. The orignal issue on RFW is take 3 with some bits chopped out and at a different speed. Takes 1 and 3 were transferred from vinyl tests which explains the good quality on the JSP set. Ted suggests that take 2 might have been a breakdown or got lost in processing, but is not known to exist.

        Best,

        Michael

        Jetzt testen! http://produkte.web.de/club/?mc=021130
      • spacelights
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 3, 2007
          Excellent, thank you Michael and Ted Kendall. I've just listened, and
          do hear portions of Take 3 in "Take 2". Also, since "Take 2" has a
          unique introduction, and Take 3 begins in progress (is it complete on
          the JSP?), it would seem the only unedited version is Take 1.

          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Michael Rader <Rader.Michael@...>
          wrote:

          > John
          >
          > I received a reply from Ted Kendall this morning. It appears there
          is no discovered take 2. The orignal issue on RFW is take 3 with some
          bits chopped out and at a different speed. Takes 1 and 3 were
          transferred from vinyl tests which explains the good quality on the
          JSP set. Ted suggests that take 2 might have been a breakdown or got
          lost in processing, but is not known to exist.

          > Best,
          >
          > Michael

        • Walter Five
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 5, 2007
            Now you see? This is why I joined this group! I wasn't even aware that JSP had put out a series of Waller Box Sets!!! High time *somebody* did! I bought the complete series of "Fats Waller & His Rhythm" releases a decade ago, six volumes, and like 14 or 16 discs all told, great stuff, but could never find anything else that was at all comprehensive!

            When is someone going to do this for Jolie??? I just got the complete discography book, and I'm simply droolin'!

            Thanks!

            P.S. Volume 1 already on its way! :-)

            spacelights <spacelights@...> wrote:
            I've been enjoying Volume 1 (1922-1928) which seems well and truly
            "complete", with all the alternative takes. I've not heard Volume 2
            (1929-1934), but I notice the tracklist includes only two takes of the
            1929 pipe organ solo "Baby Oh! Where Can You Be?" (also recorded as a
            piano solo). I think three takes of the organ solo circulate; does
            someone know why only two were included?

          • Dan Van Landingham
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 5, 2007
              Not to change the subject but can anyone out there tell me about a recording date that
              featured trombonist Walter "Pee Wee" Hunt,clarinetist Matty Matlock and bassist Morty
              Corb?The album was a bunch of dixieland standards that came out on one of those eco-
              nomy labels here in the U.S.(in this case,"Golden Tone" Records)around 45 to 50 years
              ago.These were the kind of albums I saw in places like Sprouse-Reitz and department
              stores with such names as "The 88 Cent Store"The cumutive personnel included my
              late friend Al Hendrickson and other session musicians I knew who used to do this ki-
              nd of thing.I don't know if Brian Rust ever listed these kind of dates in his discographical
              book or not.Speaking of discographies,is there a site on the web where I might go to find
              such information.