Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: Our Buddy

  • Dan Van Landingham
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 21, 2007
      It's interesting that Wooden Joe was both a trumpeter and a clarinetist.So am I although I spent more years playing various saxophones(alto,tenor and baritone)rather than clarinet.The
      only other musicians I knew of who played both clarinet and trumpet were Benny Carter and,in the late '20s and early '30s,Jimmy Dorsey.Jimmy Dorsey somehow damaged his lip
      and the 1935 Decca recording of "Eccentric" showed it.I was of the impression that Decca
      never issued the recording but I found a copy of the tune in mint condition in Coos Bay,Oregon.The place where I bought the record was,many years ago,a shop that used to
      sell and service juke boxes and pinball machines.The man who bought the shop found several thousand 78s by accident and I ended up buying at least $150.00 worth.Much of the
      stuff was mickey mouse but there were a number true gems like the Victor 78 reissues of
      Bix from circa 1936.I also found a couple of Victor 78s of a swing band that Nick LaRocca
      was leading at that time.It was a band built around the Original Dixieland Jazz Band.The
      arrangements were a bit on the square side and the singer(Chris Fletcher)was even squarer.
      Some years back,I found a cassette tape of the Saturday Night Swing Club with Bunny Be-
      rigan and this big band of LaRocca's was featured.LaRocca is heard giving praise to the new
      swing music.He was touring with this band at that time(1936).I also found a circa 1938 Blue-
      bird 78 of The Original Dixieland Jazz Band("Put a Nickel in the Slot")as well.I never knew
      that LaRocca was leading a band then although I did see a couple of pictures of him recording in the late '30s,one photo shows LaRocca recreating the late teens acoustic type
      of recording.This cassette of Berigan and LaRocca was found at a yard sale by me some
      ten to fifteen years ago in North Bend,Oregon.

      yves francois <aprestitine@...> wrote:
      Dan etc, Wooden Joe Nicholas played trumpet more
      than he did clarinet, but was proficient on both
      instruments, and was recorded on both by William
      Russell (he did some clarinet duets with Burbank on
      "Clarinet Blues", I believe at least 2 takes have been
      reissued on the American Music CD reissue project),
      good, primitive musician, the real trumpet work is on
      the 1945 sessions (some of it is quite amazing, the
      power of his work at that point), he lost much of his
      lip between 1945 and 49 (and was also recorded for
      another session, was it Paradox, it is reissued
      material, I believe Raymond Burke's Speakeasy Boys, if
      memory serves Joe Avery was the trombone on that
      session, too bad it was not he on the American Music
      1949 sessions), I think he died around 1952 or so.
      Hope this helps, Yves Francois Smierciak
      --- Dan Van Landingham <danvanlandingham@...>

      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs