Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: Jacques Gauthé from Grove On-Line

  • Dan Van Landingham
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 20, 2007
      Some thirty five years ago,I had a couple of battered 78s of Lu Watters.Whatever became of him.I know that Bob Scobey passed away in or around 1963.In my neck of the woods,we
      had the Castle Jazz Band and I had a few of their 78s mixed in with some of the Firehouse
      Five Plus Two.The latter I didn't care much for and gave them away as a gift to a retired
      French and German teacher who taught at the community college I attended back from 1970
      until 1972 in Coos Bay,Oregon.

      Tommer <tommersl@...> wrote:
      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Albert Haim" <alberthaim@...> wrote:

      > From Grove Music On-Line
      >
      > Michel Laplace: 'Gauthé, Jacques', Grove Music Online ed. L. Macy
      > (Accessed 20 November 2007), <http://www.grovemusic.com>
      >
      > Gauthé, Jacques
      >
      > (b Gaujac, France, 12 June 1939). French clarinetist and saxophonist.
      > He studied piano and clarinet and received lessons from Claude Luter
      > (1956). From 1957 he led his own band, which accompanied Mezz Mezzrow,
      > Albert Nicholas (1957), Lucky Thompson, Don Byas (1958), and Benny
      > Waters (1961). He also participated in a jam session with Sidney
      > Bechet (1958). In 1961 he formed the Old Time Jazz Band in Toulouse;
      > Claude Tissendier and the bass player Enzo Mucci made their début with
      > this group. In 1972 Gauthé moved to New Orleans, and from 1973 he
      > played at Preservation Hall. He led the Creole Rice Jazz Band from
      > 1979 and played with Alvin Alcorn, Freddie Kohlman (1981), Freddy
      > Lonzo (1982), Louis Nelson, and Teddy Riley (1983). In 1984 he
      > received an unprecedented compliment from the reclusive Lu Watters
      > when the trumpeter granted Gauthé the use of his historic band name:
      > from that time the group has been called the Creole Rice Yerba Buena
      > Jazz Band. Gauthé held a residency at the Meridien Hotel with Wallace
      > Davenport (1985), the pianist Steve Pistorius (from 1987), the pianist
      > John Royen (from 1989), and other local players among his sidemen. In
      > 1997 he taught at a workshop organized by Alvin Batiste. His style is
      > influenced by Johnny Dodds and Sidney Bechet, and is well represented
      > by Paris Blues, by the Jacques Gauthé–Alain Marquet Serenaders (1990,
      > Stomp Off 1216).
      > BIBLIOGRAPHY
      > M. Laplace: "La classic hot music," Jazz Dixie/Swing: du Ragtime au
      > Big Band, no.1 (1993), 25
      > ——: "Carte blanche à Claude Luter," Parole de Jim, no.3 (1996), 58
      > ——: "Un français à New Orleans: Jacques Gauthé, la clarinette dans
      > l'âme," Jazz Dixie/Swing: du Ragtime au Big Band, no.19 (1998), 7
      >
      > MICHEL LAPLACE
      > © Oxford University Press 2007
      >
      > *************************
      > Albert
      >
      > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Howard Rye <howard@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Jacques Gauthé was born at Gaujac in the French département of Gera
      > on 12
      > > June 1939 and died there on 10 June 2007. He lived in New Orleans
      > from 1972
      > > and I'm not sure when he returned to France.
      > >
      > > He's in Grove if Albert wouldn't mind doing the honors again.
      > >

      > > on 19/11/07 21:13, Tommer at tommersl@ wrote:
      > >
      > > I'm looking for available information about the
      > > Jacques Gauth Sextet.
      > >
      > > Howard Rye, 20 Coppermill Lane, London, England, E17 7HB
      > > howard@
      > > Tel/FAX: +44 20 8521 1098

      Thank you, that gave me a picture of that scene. One last question is
      about Pierre Merlin. I have only a little clue about who he was from a
      very short input that I read.
      tommer

      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 21, 2007
        M. Merlin recorded with Claude Luter from 1946-1949, reappears with Pierre
        Atlan in 1951.

        From 1954 he was a member of Mowgli Jospin's High Society Jazz Band along
        with Pierre Atlan (clarinet) and Martine Morel (piano). They accompanied
        Sidney Bechet at the Bal Piston in 1954. This band made albums in 1963, 1972
        and 1981. The last (Stomp Off SOS 1010) is probably available.

        He recorded at Wallingford, CT, on 21 April 1972 as a member of something
        called the New Orleans High Society Funeral and Marching Band, which is a
        miscellaneous bunch of French (including Atlan and Morel), German and
        American musicians, including Woody Allen!

        A Pierre Merlin, accompanied by Odile, can be found on the manifest of Air
        France flight AF 971 from Paris (Orly) to New York on 25 April 1957. I don't
        recognise the names of any other musicians so there's no proof this is him
        and if it was it was probably just a holiday trip. In any case there is no
        other information, not even an age. There are at least two Pierre Merlin's
        in Who's Who in France, neither of whom seems likely to be the musician, but
        either of whom is probably a better candidate for the flight.

        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 21, 2007

          > M. Merlin recorded with Claude Luter from 1946-1949, reappears with
          Pierre
          > Atlan in 1951.
          >
          > From 1954 he was a member of Mowgli Jospin's High Society Jazz Band
          along
          > with Pierre Atlan (clarinet) and Martine Morel (piano). They accompanied
          > Sidney Bechet at the Bal Piston in 1954. This band made albums in
          1963, 1972
          > and 1981. The last (Stomp Off SOS 1010) is probably available.
          >
          > He recorded at Wallingford, CT, on 21 April 1972 as a member of
          something
          > called the New Orleans High Society Funeral and Marching Band, which
          is a
          > miscellaneous bunch of French (including Atlan and Morel), German and
          > American musicians, including Woody Allen!
          >
          > A Pierre Merlin, accompanied by Odile, can be found on the manifest
          of Air
          > France flight AF 971 from Paris (Orly) to New York on 25 April 1957.
          I don't
          > recognise the names of any other musicians so there's no proof this
          is him
          > and if it was it was probably just a holiday trip. In any case there
          is no
          > other information, not even an age. There are at least two Pierre
          Merlin's
          > in Who's Who in France, neither of whom seems likely to be the
          musician, but
          > either of whom is probably a better candidate for the flight.

          Very interesting, thanks. Is Pierre Merlin the same person as either
          M. Merlin or Pierre Atlan?

          tommer
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 21, 2007
            He is certainly not Pierre Atlan who is a clarinettist whereas Pierre Merlin
            is a trumpeter. They have played together a lot (see my notes on Merlin).

            Who is M. Merlin?

            Oh, I see! This is because I wrote "M. Merlin" meaning "Monsieur Merlin".
            There is no M. Merlin. The 'M' is just an honorfic.

            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 21, 2007

              > He is certainly not Pierre Atlan who is a clarinettist whereas
              Pierre Merlin
              > is a trumpeter. They have played together a lot (see my notes on
              Merlin).

              > Who is M. Merlin?
              >
              > Oh, I see! This is because I wrote "M. Merlin" meaning "Monsieur
              Merlin".
              > There is no M. Merlin. The 'M' is just an honorfic.

              That clarifies. Thanks.
              tommer