BUDDY BOLDEN

  • islay77
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 18, 2007
      Hope the films as good as the correspondance!!

      'Slow Drag' Pavageau was born in 1888, so perhaps he was as likely to
      remember what Bolden sounded like as Bunk.That is depending on what
      school of thought you subscribe to regarding Bunks date of birth,1879
      or 1889?

      The definitive argument on the subject of whether Bunk played with
      Bolden is stated in 'Song of the wanderer' by Mike Hazeldine & Barry
      Martyn.What is pretty certain is that Bunk played with Frankie Dusen,
      who led what was the Bolden band,after Bolden quit.So surely Bunk
      would at least have been familiar with the Bolden repertoire.

      Surely it would have been unlikely for Bolden's sidesmen to play with
      Piron,I think we are given to understand that they were different
      types of musicians.As to none of them going on to better
      things,didn't J R M send for Dusen to join him on the west Coast.Does
      Albert Glenny playing on the first revival record not count?

      For me personally and without any real knowledge,I have always
      imagined that the American Music 'Wooden Joe's' epitomized what i
      imagine Bolden's music to have sounded like.

      Fraser