Do you call that a BUDDY?

  • Tony Standish
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 18, 2007
      As far back as I can rermember, we've wondered what Bolden sounded like - Russell, Smith, Ramsey, Charters, Bull, Hardie, me, Colyer, Holden, Reddihough,. and a thousand others. Even Winton Marsalis.
      The Marsalis man seems to have a genuine interst in his musical heritage, and he has the clout to do something about the search for something interesting about the player who appears to be to New Orleans hot jazz what Son House and Charlie Patton were to the Delta blues.
      Why not let hm get on with the project?
      Wish him well, even.
      Get on to his web site and tell him your thoughts.
      I remember upsetting Graham Russell no end in the late 50s when I wrote in Eureka magazine that Slow Drag told me - in the lift at Festival Hall - that Bolden sounded like "Kid Shots on a good day.."
      Did Drag ever hear Bolden? I wasn't going to argue with him, but he didn't seem to be bull-shitting me.
      What did Kid Shots sound like "on a good day"? Buggered if I know....
      As Grayson once quoted - "'Endless the trek, endless the search."
      Tony Standish