Re: King Oliver Record Review from Variety March 3, 1930

  • Gerard J. Fitzpatrick
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 15, 2005
      Scott:

      While I believe that Joe Oliver's Victor sessions of 1929-1930 had
      some enjoyable moments (call me sentimental but I especially
      like "I'm Lonesome Sweetheart"), I agree with you that "St. James
      Infirmary" & "When You're Smiling" are a far cry from the Creole Jazz
      Band in terms of pyrotechnics. Still, in fairness to the reviewer
      you cite (I'm not familiar with Mr. Landry) who heard more "hotcha"
      then than we do today, might it be that he listened with ears more
      attuned to the "mainstream" white bands of the day, such as Paul
      Whiteman's, against which almost anything would sound "heated" (even
      when energized by Bix's presence)? I offer this suggestion because I
      wouldn't think of an "insider" publication like "Variety" as being in
      the vanguard of hot jazz.

      Gerard J. Fitzpatrick

      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Scott Alexander <scott@t...> wrote:
      > Here is a little record review I ran across in Variety that I
      thought
      > you all might be interested in:
      >
      > Disk Reviews by Bob Landry
      >
      > King Oliver
      > Victor 22298
      > A pronounced talent for heated orchestrations finds splendid outlet
      in
      > "St. James Infirmary Blues" that new hotcha classic. But the same
      system
      > applied to "When You're Smiling" results in blare and rasp.
      >
      > Hear them here:
      > http://www.redhotjazz.com/songs/oliver/kingo/Infirmary.ram
      > http://www.redhotjazz.com/songs/oliver/kingo/youresmiling.ram
      >
      > Frank Marvin supplies the vocals.
      >
      > You have to wonder if Bob Landry listened to these records. "St.
      James
      > Infirmary" hardly seems heated and "When You're Smiling" is pretty
      darn
      > sedate.
      >
      > Scott Alexander
      > The Red Hot Jazz Archive
      > www.redhotjazz.com
    • Scott Alexander
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 16, 2005
        Yes, you could be right about the the "hotcha" factor, but you got to
        give Variety some credit for even plugging the record.
        Scott Alexander
        The Red Hot Jazz Archive
        www.redhotjazz.com