Re: was Louis Armstrong black?

  • Fredamhran@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 15, 2005
      You wouldn't chuckle. I was recently talking to a woman who has been a
      fixture at every jazz session you could mention for more years than you would care
      to mention. When I told her I like Ma Rainey, the name drew a complete
      blank. She'd never heard of her.

      Cheers,

      Fred McCormick (I think)

      RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com writes:

      If, like me, you enjoy stories with Hitchcockian ironic endings,
      you'll appreciate this one (although you may be shocked as well).
      I've been teaching for about 25 years at a well regarded college with
      generally very bright students. Yesterday, I met with a group of
      incoming freshmen who were registering for fall classes. As an ice
      breaker, I always ask new students what kind of music they like.
      Invariably, several will say "oldies," which usually means groups no
      more archaic than the Beatles. I take a perverse delight in noting
      that I too am an "oldies" fan and then watching their faces go blank
      as I mention some of the groups that members of this site know well.
      Anyway, I asked one student if he knew who Louis Armstrong was. "Of
      course," the student replied, as if I had asked him nothing more
      challenging than his own name, "he was the first man to walk on the
      moon." It gets worse -- the student was black.

      I told this shocker at the family dinner table last night,
      emphasizing the ironic fact that an African-American student of all
      people confused Louis Armstrong with Neil Armstrong. One of the
      dinner guests was my son's girl friend (like him, a bright college
      student) who, missing the point of my emphasis, inquired, "was Louis
      Armstrong black?" I swear I saw Hitchcock standing in the corner, a
      wry smile on his face.

      Gerard J. Fitzpatrick