King Oliver Record Review from Variety March 3, 1930

  • Scott Alexander
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 14, 2005
      Here is a little record review I ran across in Variety that I thought
      you all might be interested in:

      Disk Reviews by Bob Landry

      King Oliver
      Victor 22298
      A pronounced talent for heated orchestrations finds splendid outlet in
      "St. James Infirmary Blues" that new hotcha classic. But the same system
      applied to "When You're Smiling" results in blare and rasp.

      Hear them here:
      http://www.redhotjazz.com/songs/oliver/kingo/Infirmary.ram
      http://www.redhotjazz.com/songs/oliver/kingo/youresmiling.ram

      Frank Marvin supplies the vocals.

      You have to wonder if Bob Landry listened to these records. "St. James
      Infirmary" hardly seems heated and "When You're Smiling" is pretty darn
      sedate.

      Scott Alexander
      The Red Hot Jazz Archive
      www.redhotjazz.com
    • Gerard J. Fitzpatrick
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 15, 2005
        Scott:

        While I believe that Joe Oliver's Victor sessions of 1929-1930 had
        some enjoyable moments (call me sentimental but I especially
        like "I'm Lonesome Sweetheart"), I agree with you that "St. James
        Infirmary" & "When You're Smiling" are a far cry from the Creole Jazz
        Band in terms of pyrotechnics. Still, in fairness to the reviewer
        you cite (I'm not familiar with Mr. Landry) who heard more "hotcha"
        then than we do today, might it be that he listened with ears more
        attuned to the "mainstream" white bands of the day, such as Paul
        Whiteman's, against which almost anything would sound "heated" (even
        when energized by Bix's presence)? I offer this suggestion because I
        wouldn't think of an "insider" publication like "Variety" as being in
        the vanguard of hot jazz.

        Gerard J. Fitzpatrick

        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Scott Alexander <scott@t...> wrote:
        > Here is a little record review I ran across in Variety that I
        thought
        > you all might be interested in:
        >
        > Disk Reviews by Bob Landry
        >
        > King Oliver
        > Victor 22298
        > A pronounced talent for heated orchestrations finds splendid outlet
        in
        > "St. James Infirmary Blues" that new hotcha classic. But the same
        system
        > applied to "When You're Smiling" results in blare and rasp.
        >
        > Hear them here:
        > http://www.redhotjazz.com/songs/oliver/kingo/Infirmary.ram
        > http://www.redhotjazz.com/songs/oliver/kingo/youresmiling.ram
        >
        > Frank Marvin supplies the vocals.
        >
        > You have to wonder if Bob Landry listened to these records. "St.
        James
        > Infirmary" hardly seems heated and "When You're Smiling" is pretty
        darn
        > sedate.
        >
        > Scott Alexander
        > The Red Hot Jazz Archive
        > www.redhotjazz.com
      • Scott Alexander
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 16, 2005
          Yes, you could be right about the the "hotcha" factor, but you got to
          give Variety some credit for even plugging the record.
          Scott Alexander
          The Red Hot Jazz Archive
          www.redhotjazz.com