Re: [RedHotJazz] was Louis Armstrong black?

  • P.W. Fenton
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 14, 2005
      At 08:52 PM 6/14/2005 +0000, Gerard J. Fitzpatrick wrote...
      >I told this shocker at the family dinner table last night,
      >emphasizing the ironic fact that an African-American student of all
      >people confused Louis Armstrong with Neil Armstrong. One of the
      >dinner guests was my son's girl friend (like him, a bright college
      >student) who, missing the point of my emphasis, inquired, "was Louis
      >Armstrong black?" I swear I saw Hitchcock standing in the corner, a
      >wry smile on his face.

      That's one small step for a man, but one giant leap for Jazz.

      P.W. Fenton
      New Port Richey, FL
      http://BluesLand.Net - A comprehensive network of Blues related resources
    • vintagetenor
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 14, 2005
        Gerard,

        We are always amazed to hear stories like that.

        But I did some reserch on the web today, and, to answer your question: Yes, Louis Armstromg was black.

        Mike

        "Gerard J. Fitzpatrick" <gfitzpatrick@...> wrote:
        If, like me, you enjoy stories with Hitchcockian ironic endings,
        you'll appreciate this one (although you may be shocked as well).
        I've been teaching for about 25 years at a well regarded college with
        generally very bright students. Yesterday, I met with a group of
        incoming freshmen who were registering for fall classes. As an ice
        breaker, I always ask new students what kind of music they like.
        Invariably, several will say "oldies," which usually means groups no
        more archaic than the Beatles. I take a perverse delight in noting
        that I too am an "oldies" fan and then watching their faces go blank
        as I mention some of the groups that members of this site know well.
        Anyway, I asked one student if he knew who Louis Armstrong was. "Of
        course," the student replied, as if I had asked him nothing more
        challenging than his own name, "he was the first man to walk on the
        moon." It gets worse -- the student was black.

        I told this shocker at the family dinner table last night,
        emphasizing the ironic fact that an African-American student of all
        people confused Louis Armstrong with Neil Armstrong. One of the
        dinner guests was my son's girl friend (like him, a bright college
        student) who, missing the point of my emphasis, inquired, "was Louis
        Armstrong black?" I swear I saw Hitchcock standing in the corner, a
        wry smile on his face.

        Gerard J. Fitzpatrick

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 14, 2005
          A better question: Is Michael Jackson black???

        • Fredamhran@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 15, 2005
            You wouldn't chuckle. I was recently talking to a woman who has been a
            fixture at every jazz session you could mention for more years than you would care
            to mention. When I told her I like Ma Rainey, the name drew a complete
            blank. She'd never heard of her.

            Cheers,

            Fred McCormick (I think)