BUNK JOHNSON

  • islay77
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 4, 2007
      Bunk recorded 'Make Me a Pallet'quite a few times. With Bertha
      Gonsoulin in 1943,in San Francisco (tpt & pno). It was also on the
      first Bunk session in 1942.Also in 1945 in New Orleans for American
      music.I'm afraid i don't know which of these was on the re-issue Dan
      Van Landingham speaks of.Certainly the first two occasions should be
      readily recognisable.

      Re the Billie Pierce interview, I knew of this but have never seen it-
      is it available somewhere,Howard ?
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 4, 2007
        The interview (or at least extracts from it) is in Paul Oliver's
        Conversation With The Blues (London, Cassell, 1965 but there are reprints).

        on 4/11/07 18:51, islay77 at fraser.mccombe@... wrote:

        Re the Billie Pierce interview, I knew of this but have never seen it-
        is it available somewhere,Howard ?

      • Dan Van Landingham
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 5, 2007
          The recording I spoke of was produced by Bill Grauer and Orrin Keepnews back in the '50s on the Riverside label.I dubbed off some of it back in the early 1970s on to reel to reel.That
          same ten record boxed set introduced me to Charles Pierces's 1927 Paramount recording
          of "China Boy" which introduced me to Frank Teschemacher's clarinet work.It was a pretty
          comprehensive album and as I recall,it went a bit beyond showcasing some of the so called
          "Trad Jazz" of the forties and fifties.I believe that the Grauer-Keepnews album dated from ab-
          out 1957.

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 6, 2007
            This would be Metronome matrix T3 from 9 February 1945. This was the only
            Bunk session available to Riverside as far as I know. Earlier sources
            variously give the date alternatively as 2nd or 17th February. The source of
            the confusion is no doubt that the session was originally made by The Office
            of War Information as the soundtrack of a film which was never completed
            (because the war ended?).

            <mailto:fraser.mccombe%40btinternet.com> > wrote:
            Bunk recorded 'Make Me a Pallet'quite a few times. With Bertha
            Gonsoulin in 1943,in San Francisco (tpt & pno). It was also on the
            first Bunk session in 1942.Also in 1945 in New Orleans for American
            music.I'm afraid i don't know which of these was on the re-issue Dan
            Van Landingham speaks of.Certainly the first two occasions should be
            readily recognisable.

            Re the Billie Pierce interview, I knew of this but have never seen it-
            is it available somewhere,Howard ?

          • yves francois
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 6, 2007
              Howard (and anyone else here), with all the private
              recordings made of the remarkable Bunk Johnson, I
              wonder if any more have come to light since the later
              1990's (the 1947 ballroom stuff with Carey, Blumberg
              and James P comes to mind as well as the Town Hall
              concert, both issued on American music). The recording
              from 1947 on the CD that accompanied the book was with
              one of the Banner band musicians, are there any
              recordings floating around with, say Baker Millian (or
              can we hope Clem Raymond, though I don't know of any
              meeting there, much less music engagements),on the
              west coast in 1943/4 or any of Bunk with (or even
              without)his cohorts in the Banner band in the 1940's.
              Recordings do keep showing up from the early 1940's
              onwards of various pioneer New Orleans musicians, just
              wondering, it could shed some light on how he played
              in other contexts, Yves Francois

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Dan Van Landingham
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 7, 2007
                Thanks for the information.The problem with discographic information I encountered had to do with not knowing who was on the date and who wasn't.One case I've often cited was a date
                that Jack Teagarden,Benny Goodman,and Mannie Klein or Bunny Berigan on trumpets.I had a late '30s to mid '40s Decca reissue of an Adrian Rollini date featuring the above musicians.
                The label listed Berigan and Mannie Klein on trumpets.I bought an MCA double LP set
                called "A Jazz Holiday" back in the early '80s which showcased Teagarden and Goodman.In
                the liner notes,Manny Klein stated that Berigan was not present and he was the only trump-
                eter.When I heard the recording,I guessed that it was Berigan.It wasn't.This record date was
                Rollini's swan song as a bass saxist:he gave it up for the vibes and I had a few 78s of his
                little band(which had Buddy Rich on drums and Bobby Hackett on cornet)plus some others
                Rollini did on Vocalion in the very late '30s.As I have been into discographic information for
                forty odd years,I do have my work cut out for me.The subject of discographic studies is
                something of a challenge.

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 9, 2007
                  Re Howard's identification of 'Make me a Pallet on The floor'. this can
                  be found on DOCD - 1010

                  Fraser