Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: Charlie Segar

  • Dan Van Landingham
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 2, 2007
      I never heard of Charlie Segar,but I had a few Capitol 78s of Nellie Lutcher.She was good.She
      was part of the rhythm and blues scene of the forties.Her contemporaries were Hadda Broo-
      ks and Julia Lee who was also a Capitol artist.Brooks recorded for a label called "Modern" in
      the early fifties.I liked Lutcher better than Lee.

      Olivier Douville <douvilleolivier@...> wrote:
      Thanks. Really.
      OD

      I was hoping Bob Eagle himself would respond to this, but according to
      information Bob has posted in other forums, Segar can be found in the 1920
      census, aged 19, enumerated in Louisiana at a lumber camp as a piano-player.
      He was born in Georgia according to the census entry.

      He was the first husband of Nellie Lutcher.

      He is not included in Eric's Blues Date so I assume that neither his birth
      date nor death date have been recovered so far.

      on 1/11/07 10:39, Olivier Douville at douvilleolivier@...
      <mailto:douvilleolivier%40noos.fr> wrote:

      By the way i would like to know more 'bout the pianist Charlie Segar (born ?
      dead ? )

      howard@... <mailto:howard%40coppermill.demon.co.uk>

      Olivier Douville

      Directeur de publication de PSYCHOLOGIE CLINIQUE

      22, rue de la Tour d'Auvergne 75009 Paris
      tel : 06 77 69 24 51

      douvilleolivier@...

      liens
      http://www.dunod.com/pages/ouvrages/ficheouvrage.asp?id=49180
      http://www.psycho-ressources.com/olivier-douville.html

      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 2, 2007
        Charlie Segar, "Keyboard Wizard Supreme", made four issued sides for Decca
        in 1934/5 and four for OKeh in 1940. They can all be heard on the CD 'Piano
        Blues-Volume 2', Document DOCD5220.

        I had completely forgotten that I wrote the notes and that I found a Paul
        Oliver interview with Billie Pierce in which she recalled Segar as coming
        from her own hometown, Pensacola, Florida, and said that in his act he
        played trumpet and piano simultaneously, and blindfolded. On record he only
        plays piano.

        Hadda Brooks is great. I'm always surprised more fuss is not made about her.
        There's a wonderful collection of her boogies on an Ace CD (CDCHM889,
        Swingin' The Boogie).

        on 2/11/07 21:02, Dan Van Landingham at danvanlandingham@... wrote:

        I never heard of Charlie Segar,but I had a few Capitol 78s of Nellie
        Lutcher.She was good.She
        was part of the rhythm and blues scene of the forties.Her contemporaries
        were Hadda Broo-
        ks and Julia Lee who was also a Capitol artist.Brooks recorded for a label
        called "Modern" in
        the early fifties.I liked Lutcher better than Lee.

      • heckman_michael
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 3, 2007
          I only heard one other trumpeter imitate the later Armstrong and that
          was on an old Command album I had of Doc Severensen.I would rather
          remember Armstrong the way he sounded back in the late '20s and
          early '30s.

          I think Ruby Braff did a good job keeping Louis' style alive and
          meaningful.
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 5, 2007
            Howard

            I've got the Louis/Gabriele on behind me and right, only Louis could have
            carried this off. His opening trumpet paraphrase of the --- actually rather
            nice --- tune is profound and his vocal line and obligato and scatting with
            Gabrielle are beautiful.

            Poisonous moppet is a little unjustified, she sings it straight and in tune
            without over emoting.

            Not mentioned yet and recommended 'Plays King Oliver' and 'Louis & The Good
            Book' albums.

            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 5, 2007
              To which I can only say:

              "Have you seen her?"