Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: Louis Armstorng later recordings

  • Olivier Douville
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 2, 2007
      Satchmo recorded a lot for Verve, I think of an album he made with Oscar
      Peterson and The Prgy & Bess version with Ella

      Olivier Douville

      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 2, 2007
        I was hoping Bob Eagle himself would respond to this, but according to
        information Bob has posted in other forums, Segar can be found in the 1920
        census, aged 19, enumerated in Louisiana at a lumber camp as a piano-player.
        He was born in Georgia according to the census entry.

        He was the first husband of Nellie Lutcher.

        He is not included in Eric's Blues Date so I assume that neither his birth
        date nor death date have been recovered so far.

        on 1/11/07 10:39, Olivier Douville at douvilleolivier@... wrote:

        By the way i would like to know more 'bout the pianist Charlie Segar (born ?
        dead ? )

      • Olivier Douville
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 2, 2007
          Thanks. Really.
          OD

          <mailto:douvilleolivier%40noos.fr> wrote:

          By the way i would like to know more 'bout the pianist Charlie Segar (born ?
          dead ? )

          howard@... <mailto:howard%40coppermill.demon.co.uk>

          Olivier Douville

          Directeur de publication de PSYCHOLOGIE CLINIQUE

          22, rue de la Tour d'Auvergne 75009 Paris
          tel : 06 77 69 24 51

          douvilleolivier@...

          liens
          http://www.dunod.com/pages/ouvrages/ficheouvrage.asp?id=49180
          http://www.psycho-ressources.com/olivier-douville.html

        • Dan Van Landingham
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 2, 2007
            I never heard of Charlie Segar,but I had a few Capitol 78s of Nellie Lutcher.She was good.She
            was part of the rhythm and blues scene of the forties.Her contemporaries were Hadda Broo-
            ks and Julia Lee who was also a Capitol artist.Brooks recorded for a label called "Modern" in
            the early fifties.I liked Lutcher better than Lee.

            Olivier Douville <douvilleolivier@...> wrote:
            Thanks. Really.
            OD

            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 2, 2007
              Charlie Segar, "Keyboard Wizard Supreme", made four issued sides for Decca
              in 1934/5 and four for OKeh in 1940. They can all be heard on the CD 'Piano
              Blues-Volume 2', Document DOCD5220.

              I had completely forgotten that I wrote the notes and that I found a Paul
              Oliver interview with Billie Pierce in which she recalled Segar as coming
              from her own hometown, Pensacola, Florida, and said that in his act he
              played trumpet and piano simultaneously, and blindfolded. On record he only
              plays piano.

              Hadda Brooks is great. I'm always surprised more fuss is not made about her.
              There's a wonderful collection of her boogies on an Ace CD (CDCHM889,
              Swingin' The Boogie).

              on 2/11/07 21:02, Dan Van Landingham at danvanlandingham@... wrote:

              I never heard of Charlie Segar,but I had a few Capitol 78s of Nellie
              Lutcher.She was good.She
              was part of the rhythm and blues scene of the forties.Her contemporaries
              were Hadda Broo-
              ks and Julia Lee who was also a Capitol artist.Brooks recorded for a label
              called "Modern" in
              the early fifties.I liked Lutcher better than Lee.

            • heckman_michael
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 3, 2007
                I only heard one other trumpeter imitate the later Armstrong and that
                was on an old Command album I had of Doc Severensen.I would rather
                remember Armstrong the way he sounded back in the late '20s and
                early '30s.

                I think Ruby Braff did a good job keeping Louis' style alive and
                meaningful.
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 5, 2007
                  Howard

                  I've got the Louis/Gabriele on behind me and right, only Louis could have
                  carried this off. His opening trumpet paraphrase of the --- actually rather
                  nice --- tune is profound and his vocal line and obligato and scatting with
                  Gabrielle are beautiful.

                  Poisonous moppet is a little unjustified, she sings it straight and in tune
                  without over emoting.

                  Not mentioned yet and recommended 'Plays King Oliver' and 'Louis & The Good
                  Book' albums.

                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 5, 2007
                    To which I can only say:

                    "Have you seen her?"