Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: Louis Armstorng later recordings

  • Dan Van Landingham
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 1, 2007
      Louis Armstrong not recording after 1946?I can't believe that.Though I am no fan of his later work,his sound was unmistakable,I had some of his albums that were cut between 1947 and
      the late sixties.The only player I knew of who had other musicians play in his stead was King
      Oliver in 1930.The latter recordings-on Victor-came out around fifty years ago on the old RCA
      Camden label.The album was called "Great Jazz Brass" which was a companion album to
      "Great Jazz Reeds".I have the first album in my collection.I was given one copy to run off for
      a guy I used to play trombone duets with several years ago.If memory serves,the one track
      Oliver recorded was called "New Orleans Shout" which featured the trumpet(or cornet)of his
      nephew Dave Nelson who was also a pianist.I had one boxed set of Armstrong that was orig-
      nally released in 1957 on Decca.It was a musical autobiography of Armstrong narrated him-
      self.The others I had were "Louis Armstrong Plays King Oliver" on Audio Fidelity and of course,"Hello Dolly" which my mother bought new back around 1965 on Kapp Records.In all of the years I've been an Armstrong fan,I've never known of him to ghost his own records.The
      only other time I knew of a musician to ghost on a record date was when Jimmy Dorsey cut
      that record of "So Rare" and according to the late Skeets Herfurt,it was Dick Stabile who
      allegedly recorded in Dorsey's place.I let Skeets go to his grave thinking that(he died in 1991).Stabile did come in and finish up the album Dorsey started.Dorsey had died of lung ca-
      ncer a few days before.I only heard one other trumpeter imitate the later Armstrong and that
      was on an old Command album I had of Doc Severensen.I would rather remember Armstrong the way he sounded back in the late '20s and early '30s.

      You've been had! I wonder who made that one up and why.

      An excellent up-to-date comprehensive discography of Armstrong's work is
      "All Of Me: The Complete Discography of Louis Armstrong" by Jos Willems,
      Scarecrow Press Studies in Jazz No. 51, Lanham, MD, 2006. It's expensive.
      Top-class work usually is.

      If I had to restrict my post-war Armstrong collection to just a few items,
      I'd certainly start with "Satchmo, A Musical Autobiography", which someone
      has already mentioned. The Crescendo & Symphony Hall concerts are as good as
      their reputation. So are the W.C. Handy and Fats Waller sets. I enjoy the
      two albums with Duke Ellington on Roulette (1961) which are reissued on CD
      as "The Great Summit", but I know this isn't a universal opinion.

      The man never really made a bad record until the very last years, but he did
      make a lot of records that sound very like a lot of his other records and
      some of the later editions of the All Stars involved musicians who were not
      only a lot less talented than the leader, but just not very talented.
      Personally I find some of the records he made with local pop singers like
      Nina & Frederick great fun, but I guess that makes me a pervert in the minds
      of a lot of folk on this list.

      on 31/10/07 22:45, Cassandra at cassytn@... wrote:

      I've heard it said (don't know if I believe it or not) that Armstrong
      didn't actually play on any recordings after 1946.. That the only time
      he played after that was on film and live... I.E. The Five Pennies.

    • Dan Van Landingham
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 1, 2007
        Do you have the Verve album that Armstrong cut with Fitzgerald in the fifties?I had it but that was a couple of years ago.I found it at a garage sale;I didn't know that Armstrong ever recorded for Verve.I have some of the stuff Fitzgerald recorded for Verve.

        Olivier Douville <douvilleolivier@...> wrote:
        That's a surprise for sure. 1947 Boston concert, 1950 New-Orleans Function,
        After : The Good Book and plenty of concerts and a wonderfull Musical
        Autobiography, Last records : Louis Armstrong and Friends (RCA VICTOR).
        Plenty of good musicians too : Jack Teagarde, Barney Bigard, Cozy Cole, Earl
        Hines, Sid Cattlet, divers orchestras arranged bye SY Oliver and last but
        not least the team he made with Ella.

        By the way i would like to know more 'bout the pianist Charlie Segar (born ?
        dead ? ) and i'll be pleased to get photographs of him, and i was wondering
        if Mr Jay Mc Shann was still alirve or not.

        Thanks
        HAve a nice day
        O.D.
        le 31/10/07 23:45, Cassandra à cassytn@... a écrit :

        I've heard it said (don't know if I believe it or not) that Armstrong
        didn't actually play on any recordings after 1946.. That the only time
        he played after that was on film and live... I.E. The Five Pennies.

        Cassandra
        A Child of The Swampers.

        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com> ,
        Dan Van Landingham
        <danvanlandingham@...> wrote:

        > For what it's worth,I tended to stay away from the recordings
        Armstrong made later on in his career.All of those "All Stars"
        recordings,beginning with those cut at RCA in 1946-47,left me
        cold.This is where I sided with those critics who favoured the
        recordings he cut for OKeh thr-
        > ough 1931.There were a few sides Armstrong cut for RCA in 1933
        that were quite good but
        > his twelve year output for Decca(1935-47)yielded recordings that
        were of little consequence
        > save his 1938 recording on Decca of "Struttin' WIth Some Barbeque"
        and "Savoy Blues" which were,of course,updated big band manifestations
        of the things he recorded in the '20s
        > for OKeh.I also had a couple of 45 rpm recordings he did for
        Columbia in the '50s("Back O'T-

        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 2, 2007
          Satchmo recorded a lot for Verve, I think of an album he made with Oscar
          Peterson and The Prgy & Bess version with Ella

          Olivier Douville

          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 2, 2007
            I was hoping Bob Eagle himself would respond to this, but according to
            information Bob has posted in other forums, Segar can be found in the 1920
            census, aged 19, enumerated in Louisiana at a lumber camp as a piano-player.
            He was born in Georgia according to the census entry.

            He was the first husband of Nellie Lutcher.

            He is not included in Eric's Blues Date so I assume that neither his birth
            date nor death date have been recovered so far.

            on 1/11/07 10:39, Olivier Douville at douvilleolivier@... wrote:

            By the way i would like to know more 'bout the pianist Charlie Segar (born ?
            dead ? )

          • Olivier Douville
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 2, 2007
              Thanks. Really.
              OD

              <mailto:douvilleolivier%40noos.fr> wrote:

              By the way i would like to know more 'bout the pianist Charlie Segar (born ?
              dead ? )

              howard@... <mailto:howard%40coppermill.demon.co.uk>

              Olivier Douville

              Directeur de publication de PSYCHOLOGIE CLINIQUE

              22, rue de la Tour d'Auvergne 75009 Paris
              tel : 06 77 69 24 51

              douvilleolivier@...

              liens
              http://www.dunod.com/pages/ouvrages/ficheouvrage.asp?id=49180
              http://www.psycho-ressources.com/olivier-douville.html

            • Dan Van Landingham
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 2, 2007
                I never heard of Charlie Segar,but I had a few Capitol 78s of Nellie Lutcher.She was good.She
                was part of the rhythm and blues scene of the forties.Her contemporaries were Hadda Broo-
                ks and Julia Lee who was also a Capitol artist.Brooks recorded for a label called "Modern" in
                the early fifties.I liked Lutcher better than Lee.

                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 2, 2007
                  Charlie Segar, "Keyboard Wizard Supreme", made four issued sides for Decca
                  in 1934/5 and four for OKeh in 1940. They can all be heard on the CD 'Piano
                  Blues-Volume 2', Document DOCD5220.

                  I had completely forgotten that I wrote the notes and that I found a Paul
                  Oliver interview with Billie Pierce in which she recalled Segar as coming
                  from her own hometown, Pensacola, Florida, and said that in his act he
                  played trumpet and piano simultaneously, and blindfolded. On record he only
                  plays piano.

                  Hadda Brooks is great. I'm always surprised more fuss is not made about her.
                  There's a wonderful collection of her boogies on an Ace CD (CDCHM889,
                  Swingin' The Boogie).

                  on 2/11/07 21:02, Dan Van Landingham at danvanlandingham@... wrote:

                  I never heard of Charlie Segar,but I had a few Capitol 78s of Nellie
                  Lutcher.She was good.She
                  was part of the rhythm and blues scene of the forties.Her contemporaries
                  were Hadda Broo-
                  ks and Julia Lee who was also a Capitol artist.Brooks recorded for a label
                  called "Modern" in
                  the early fifties.I liked Lutcher better than Lee.

                • heckman_michael
                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 3, 2007
                    I only heard one other trumpeter imitate the later Armstrong and that
                    was on an old Command album I had of Doc Severensen.I would rather
                    remember Armstrong the way he sounded back in the late '20s and
                    early '30s.

                    I think Ruby Braff did a good job keeping Louis' style alive and
                    meaningful.
                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 5, 2007
                      Howard

                      I've got the Louis/Gabriele on behind me and right, only Louis could have
                      carried this off. His opening trumpet paraphrase of the --- actually rather
                      nice --- tune is profound and his vocal line and obligato and scatting with
                      Gabrielle are beautiful.

                      Poisonous moppet is a little unjustified, she sings it straight and in tune
                      without over emoting.

                      Not mentioned yet and recommended 'Plays King Oliver' and 'Louis & The Good
                      Book' albums.

                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 5, 2007
                        To which I can only say:

                        "Have you seen her?"