Re: Rust's books

  • Tommer
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 1, 2007
      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "jimmiejazz37" <jimmiejazz@...> wrote:

      > BTW, Tommer, no discography is free from mistakes. It's always an
      > ongoing effort to achieve better accuracy.
      >
      > Jim

      Indeed there are mistakes, I guess I need the authoritative
      recommendation of someone, like members of this very list before I get
      into a 420$ in amount of adventure which can be full of misleading paths.
      tommer
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 1, 2007
        Walter Bruninckx's "90 Years of Recorded Jazz & Blues (1917-2007) (Prejazz
        1897-1917)", of which the latest edition has just been published, is (a)
        cheaper; (b) one step nearer to good sources on many artists; (c) also
        includes blues and (some) African-American gospel music.

        It's only on CD-R (opens in Microsoft Word on both PCs & MACs). You can find
        Walter at Lange Nieuwstraat 121, 2800 Mechelen, Belgium, and he has
        arrangements for payment in several currencies.

        on 1/11/07 16:06, Tommer at tommersl@... wrote:

        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com> ,
        "jimmiejazz37" <jimmiejazz@...> wrote:

        > BTW, Tommer, no discography is free from mistakes. It's always an
        > ongoing effort to achieve better accuracy.
        >
        > Jim

        Indeed there are mistakes, I guess I need the authoritative
        recommendation of someone, like members of this very list before I get
        into a 420$ in amount of adventure which can be full of misleading paths.
        tommer

      • john schott
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 1, 2007
          The Tom Lord discography was controversial when it first appeared, as large parts of it seemed to be plagiarized from other discographies, and not based on original research. I believe Barry Kernfeld reviewed it and discussed these matters in the journal "Notes." This would have been about 1995.

          John Schott

        • Tommer
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 1, 2007

            > Walter Bruninckx's "90 Years of Recorded Jazz & Blues (1917-2007)
            (Prejazz
            > 1897-1917)", of which the latest edition has just been published, is (a)
            > cheaper; (b) one step nearer to good sources on many artists; (c) also
            > includes blues and (some) African-American gospel music.

            Sounds like an interestingly defined musical scope, and at the same
            time it seems like what I was looking for.
            tommer
          • Dan Van Landingham
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 1, 2007
              Who is this Tom Lord you have been speaking of?I have never heard of him.

              john schott <john@...> wrote: The Tom Lord discography was controversial when it first appeared, as large parts of it seemed to be plagiarized from other discographies, and not based on original research. I believe Barry Kernfeld reviewed it and discussed these matters in the journal "Notes." This would have been about 1995.

              John Schott

            • Albert Haim
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 2, 2007
                Tom Lord's discography is described in