RE: [RedHotJazz] Re: Louis Armstrong later recordings

    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 1, 2007
      Right Howard & Tony. There is almost no bad Louis, even the mawkish is
      transformed by his sincerity and musical intelligence.

      Later indeed the 'dedicated' albums, per Howard, are best together with
      those away from the All Star treadmill where he still strove for those high
      note endings. The Ellington, yes, and the Dukes Of Dixieland where, despite
      a leaden rhythm section, we hear the best ever recording of his sound.

      Yes indeed, also with non-jazzers. The Country & Western album. The Ellas
      are sublime.

      The Nina & Fred I would love to hear. Where is it Howard ?

      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 1, 2007
        "The Formula For Love" was recorded in Copenhagen on 26 January 1959 by the
        All Stars with the Van Pallandts. It's been reissued on several German CDs,
        which I assume are devoted to N&F, and also on Jazz & Jazz CDJJ626, which is
        from the Italian Green Line outfit and (was) widely distributed. Long ago it
        was Pye-International N25043.

        It actually was recorded in connection with a film called Kaerlighedens
        Melodi, which certainly has been available on video.

        The ultimate Armstrong curiosity is Onkel Satchmo's Lullaby (May 1959), on
        which he duets, and plays trumpet, with a poisonous moppet called Gabriele
        Clonisch, who was I think an Austrian kiddie-pop star. This also has a film
        connection (La Paloma), and is also on the Jazz & Jazz CD, and a lot of
        other CDs including Bear Family BCD16488 which I suspect is devoted to
        Gabriele (and the stuff of nightmares). No one but Louis could have carried
        this off and it sounds as though he's having a ball.

        The Nina & Fred I would love to hear. Where is it Howard ?

      • Dan Van Landingham
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 1, 2007
          Louis Armstrong not recording after 1946?I can't believe that.Though I am no fan of his later work,his sound was unmistakable,I had some of his albums that were cut between 1947 and
          the late sixties.The only player I knew of who had other musicians play in his stead was King
          Oliver in 1930.The latter recordings-on Victor-came out around fifty years ago on the old RCA
          Camden label.The album was called "Great Jazz Brass" which was a companion album to
          "Great Jazz Reeds".I have the first album in my collection.I was given one copy to run off for
          a guy I used to play trombone duets with several years ago.If memory serves,the one track
          Oliver recorded was called "New Orleans Shout" which featured the trumpet(or cornet)of his
          nephew Dave Nelson who was also a pianist.I had one boxed set of Armstrong that was orig-
          nally released in 1957 on Decca.It was a musical autobiography of Armstrong narrated him-
          self.The others I had were "Louis Armstrong Plays King Oliver" on Audio Fidelity and of course,"Hello Dolly" which my mother bought new back around 1965 on Kapp Records.In all of the years I've been an Armstrong fan,I've never known of him to ghost his own records.The
          only other time I knew of a musician to ghost on a record date was when Jimmy Dorsey cut
          that record of "So Rare" and according to the late Skeets Herfurt,it was Dick Stabile who
          allegedly recorded in Dorsey's place.I let Skeets go to his grave thinking that(he died in 1991).Stabile did come in and finish up the album Dorsey started.Dorsey had died of lung ca-
          ncer a few days before.I only heard one other trumpeter imitate the later Armstrong and that
          was on an old Command album I had of Doc Severensen.I would rather remember Armstrong the way he sounded back in the late '20s and early '30s.

          You've been had! I wonder who made that one up and why.

          An excellent up-to-date comprehensive discography of Armstrong's work is
          "All Of Me: The Complete Discography of Louis Armstrong" by Jos Willems,
          Scarecrow Press Studies in Jazz No. 51, Lanham, MD, 2006. It's expensive.
          Top-class work usually is.

          If I had to restrict my post-war Armstrong collection to just a few items,
          I'd certainly start with "Satchmo, A Musical Autobiography", which someone
          has already mentioned. The Crescendo & Symphony Hall concerts are as good as
          their reputation. So are the W.C. Handy and Fats Waller sets. I enjoy the
          two albums with Duke Ellington on Roulette (1961) which are reissued on CD
          as "The Great Summit", but I know this isn't a universal opinion.

          The man never really made a bad record until the very last years, but he did
          make a lot of records that sound very like a lot of his other records and
          some of the later editions of the All Stars involved musicians who were not
          only a lot less talented than the leader, but just not very talented.
          Personally I find some of the records he made with local pop singers like
          Nina & Frederick great fun, but I guess that makes me a pervert in the minds
          of a lot of folk on this list.

          on 31/10/07 22:45, Cassandra at cassytn@... wrote:

          I've heard it said (don't know if I believe it or not) that Armstrong
          didn't actually play on any recordings after 1946.. That the only time
          he played after that was on film and live... I.E. The Five Pennies.

        • Dan Van Landingham
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 1, 2007
            Do you have the Verve album that Armstrong cut with Fitzgerald in the fifties?I had it but that was a couple of years ago.I found it at a garage sale;I didn't know that Armstrong ever recorded for Verve.I have some of the stuff Fitzgerald recorded for Verve.

            Olivier Douville <douvilleolivier@...> wrote:
            That's a surprise for sure. 1947 Boston concert, 1950 New-Orleans Function,
            After : The Good Book and plenty of concerts and a wonderfull Musical
            Autobiography, Last records : Louis Armstrong and Friends (RCA VICTOR).
            Plenty of good musicians too : Jack Teagarde, Barney Bigard, Cozy Cole, Earl
            Hines, Sid Cattlet, divers orchestras arranged bye SY Oliver and last but
            not least the team he made with Ella.

            By the way i would like to know more 'bout the pianist Charlie Segar (born ?
            dead ? ) and i'll be pleased to get photographs of him, and i was wondering
            if Mr Jay Mc Shann was still alirve or not.

            Thanks
            HAve a nice day
            O.D.
            le 31/10/07 23:45, Cassandra à cassytn@... a écrit :

            I've heard it said (don't know if I believe it or not) that Armstrong
            didn't actually play on any recordings after 1946.. That the only time
            he played after that was on film and live... I.E. The Five Pennies.

            Cassandra
            A Child of The Swampers.

            --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com> ,
            Dan Van Landingham
            <danvanlandingham@...> wrote:

            > For what it's worth,I tended to stay away from the recordings
            Armstrong made later on in his career.All of those "All Stars"
            recordings,beginning with those cut at RCA in 1946-47,left me
            cold.This is where I sided with those critics who favoured the
            recordings he cut for OKeh thr-
            > ough 1931.There were a few sides Armstrong cut for RCA in 1933
            that were quite good but
            > his twelve year output for Decca(1935-47)yielded recordings that
            were of little consequence
            > save his 1938 recording on Decca of "Struttin' WIth Some Barbeque"
            and "Savoy Blues" which were,of course,updated big band manifestations
            of the things he recorded in the '20s
            > for OKeh.I also had a couple of 45 rpm recordings he did for
            Columbia in the '50s("Back O'T-

            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 2, 2007
              Satchmo recorded a lot for Verve, I think of an album he made with Oscar
              Peterson and The Prgy & Bess version with Ella

              Olivier Douville

              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 2, 2007
                I was hoping Bob Eagle himself would respond to this, but according to
                information Bob has posted in other forums, Segar can be found in the 1920
                census, aged 19, enumerated in Louisiana at a lumber camp as a piano-player.
                He was born in Georgia according to the census entry.

                He was the first husband of Nellie Lutcher.

                He is not included in Eric's Blues Date so I assume that neither his birth
                date nor death date have been recovered so far.

                on 1/11/07 10:39, Olivier Douville at douvilleolivier@... wrote:

                By the way i would like to know more 'bout the pianist Charlie Segar (born ?
                dead ? )

              • Olivier Douville
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 2, 2007
                  Thanks. Really.
                  OD

                  <mailto:douvilleolivier%40noos.fr> wrote:

                  By the way i would like to know more 'bout the pianist Charlie Segar (born ?
                  dead ? )

                  howard@... <mailto:howard%40coppermill.demon.co.uk>

                  Olivier Douville

                  Directeur de publication de PSYCHOLOGIE CLINIQUE

                  22, rue de la Tour d'Auvergne 75009 Paris
                  tel : 06 77 69 24 51

                  douvilleolivier@...

                  liens
                  http://www.dunod.com/pages/ouvrages/ficheouvrage.asp?id=49180
                  http://www.psycho-ressources.com/olivier-douville.html

                • Dan Van Landingham
                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 2, 2007
                    I never heard of Charlie Segar,but I had a few Capitol 78s of Nellie Lutcher.She was good.She
                    was part of the rhythm and blues scene of the forties.Her contemporaries were Hadda Broo-
                    ks and Julia Lee who was also a Capitol artist.Brooks recorded for a label called "Modern" in
                    the early fifties.I liked Lutcher better than Lee.

                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 2, 2007
                      Charlie Segar, "Keyboard Wizard Supreme", made four issued sides for Decca
                      in 1934/5 and four for OKeh in 1940. They can all be heard on the CD 'Piano
                      Blues-Volume 2', Document DOCD5220.

                      I had completely forgotten that I wrote the notes and that I found a Paul
                      Oliver interview with Billie Pierce in which she recalled Segar as coming
                      from her own hometown, Pensacola, Florida, and said that in his act he
                      played trumpet and piano simultaneously, and blindfolded. On record he only
                      plays piano.

                      Hadda Brooks is great. I'm always surprised more fuss is not made about her.
                      There's a wonderful collection of her boogies on an Ace CD (CDCHM889,
                      Swingin' The Boogie).

                      on 2/11/07 21:02, Dan Van Landingham at danvanlandingham@... wrote:

                      I never heard of Charlie Segar,but I had a few Capitol 78s of Nellie
                      Lutcher.She was good.She
                      was part of the rhythm and blues scene of the forties.Her contemporaries
                      were Hadda Broo-
                      ks and Julia Lee who was also a Capitol artist.Brooks recorded for a label
                      called "Modern" in
                      the early fifties.I liked Lutcher better than Lee.

                    • heckman_michael
                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 3, 2007
                        I only heard one other trumpeter imitate the later Armstrong and that
                        was on an old Command album I had of Doc Severensen.I would rather
                        remember Armstrong the way he sounded back in the late '20s and
                        early '30s.

                        I think Ruby Braff did a good job keeping Louis' style alive and
                        meaningful.
                        Message 11 of 20 , Nov 5, 2007
                          Howard

                          I've got the Louis/Gabriele on behind me and right, only Louis could have
                          carried this off. His opening trumpet paraphrase of the --- actually rather
                          nice --- tune is profound and his vocal line and obligato and scatting with
                          Gabrielle are beautiful.

                          Poisonous moppet is a little unjustified, she sings it straight and in tune
                          without over emoting.

                          Not mentioned yet and recommended 'Plays King Oliver' and 'Louis & The Good
                          Book' albums.

                          Message 12 of 20 , Nov 5, 2007
                            To which I can only say:

                            "Have you seen her?"