Re: Cliff & the Eton Boys

  • Albert Haim
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 19, 2007
      I checked the online discographical project
      http://settlet.fateback.com/
      No 1934 recordings by Cliff Edwards with the Eton Boys are listed in
      the data bases for Banner and Conqueror.

      Rust's Entertainment Discography only lists Mt M-13331 and Mt M-13254

      Lord's discography gives similar information to that in the Red Hot
      Jazz website, except that, in adition, he lists "Love Is Just Around
      the Corner" as issued by Take Two TT205.

      Albert

      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Abraham Spinelli"
      <imthe1andonlyAbe@...> wrote:

      > Hello all!
      >
      > This is my first post on the RHJ group, though I've been a silent
      observer
      > for about a year now. My question pertains to the sides mentioned in
      the
      > RHJA under Cliff Edwards and the Eton boys. I recently spent an
      afternoon at
      > my local 78-shop hunting for any of these discs (if anyone has a
      lead I'd
      > appreciate it), and when I showed the list of labels and numbers to the
      > owner, he commented that they should also exist on Banner and possibly
      > Conqueror, though he had never run across any of them. After looking at
      > recordings with a similar list of release labels, I can understand
      why he
      > would say that. Anyone know for sure that these sides either do or
      don't
      > exist on Banner and Conqueror? Any other insights about these
      recordings or
      > this family of labels?
      >
      > Thanks.
      >
      > -Abe Spinelli

    • Jack
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 19, 2007
        Abe:

        You are looking for Banner 33287 and 33364. I stand to be corrected on
        this but I don't beleive Conqueror comes in to play on these ARC
        labels. I beleive it was a Sears and Roebuck mail order label.
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 20, 2007
          Conqueror certainly was Sears & Roebuck's mail-order label, but it drew its
          material originally from the Plaza group then from the ARC dime store labels
          (Perfect, Romeo, Oriole, Banner and from about March 1933 also Melotone)
          after ARC took over Plaza, and later from CBS after they took over ARC.
          However there is no direct numerical correspondence between Conqueror issues
          and the dime store labels and only a proportion of the output made it to
          Conqueror.

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 20, 2007
            Since the Cliff Edwards with the Eton Boys recordings are from 1934, I
            looked in the Online Discographical project for Banners in 1934.
            Oddly, the records you cite are listed not under Banner 32500 - 33000
            (1932 - 34) but under Banner 33000 (1935). It turns out that the
            recordings listed under Banner 33000 (1935) span the years 1930-1935.
            I stand corrected. All four Ewards + Eton were issued by Banner.

            Albert