Cliff & the Eton Boys

  • Abraham Spinelli
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 18, 2007
      Hello all!

      This is my first post on the RHJ group, though I've been a silent observer
      for about a year now. My question pertains to the sides mentioned in the
      RHJA under Cliff Edwards and the Eton boys. I recently spent an afternoon at
      my local 78-shop hunting for any of these discs (if anyone has a lead I'd
      appreciate it), and when I showed the list of labels and numbers to the
      owner, he commented that they should also exist on Banner and possibly
      Conqueror, though he had never run across any of them. After looking at
      recordings with a similar list of release labels, I can understand why he
      would say that. Anyone know for sure that these sides either do or don't
      exist on Banner and Conqueror? Any other insights about these recordings or
      this family of labels?

      Thanks.

      -Abe Spinelli
    • Albert Haim
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 19, 2007
        I checked the online discographical project
        http://settlet.fateback.com/
        No 1934 recordings by Cliff Edwards with the Eton Boys are listed in
        the data bases for Banner and Conqueror.

        Rust's Entertainment Discography only lists Mt M-13331 and Mt M-13254

        Lord's discography gives similar information to that in the Red Hot
        Jazz website, except that, in adition, he lists "Love Is Just Around
        the Corner" as issued by Take Two TT205.

        Albert

        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Abraham Spinelli"
        <imthe1andonlyAbe@...> wrote:

        > Hello all!
        >
        > This is my first post on the RHJ group, though I've been a silent
        observer
        > for about a year now. My question pertains to the sides mentioned in
        the
        > RHJA under Cliff Edwards and the Eton boys. I recently spent an
        afternoon at
        > my local 78-shop hunting for any of these discs (if anyone has a
        lead I'd
        > appreciate it), and when I showed the list of labels and numbers to the
        > owner, he commented that they should also exist on Banner and possibly
        > Conqueror, though he had never run across any of them. After looking at
        > recordings with a similar list of release labels, I can understand
        why he
        > would say that. Anyone know for sure that these sides either do or
        don't
        > exist on Banner and Conqueror? Any other insights about these
        recordings or
        > this family of labels?
        >
        > Thanks.
        >
        > -Abe Spinelli

      • Jack
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 19, 2007
          Abe:

          You are looking for Banner 33287 and 33364. I stand to be corrected on
          this but I don't beleive Conqueror comes in to play on these ARC
          labels. I beleive it was a Sears and Roebuck mail order label.
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 20, 2007
            Conqueror certainly was Sears & Roebuck's mail-order label, but it drew its
            material originally from the Plaza group then from the ARC dime store labels
            (Perfect, Romeo, Oriole, Banner and from about March 1933 also Melotone)
            after ARC took over Plaza, and later from CBS after they took over ARC.
            However there is no direct numerical correspondence between Conqueror issues
            and the dime store labels and only a proportion of the output made it to
            Conqueror.

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 20, 2007
              Since the Cliff Edwards with the Eton Boys recordings are from 1934, I
              looked in the Online Discographical project for Banners in 1934.
              Oddly, the records you cite are listed not under Banner 32500 - 33000
              (1932 - 34) but under Banner 33000 (1935). It turns out that the
              recordings listed under Banner 33000 (1935) span the years 1930-1935.
              I stand corrected. All four Ewards + Eton were issued by Banner.

              Albert