Re: [RedHotJazz] Dumb Question?

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 12, 2007
      From: <c.klempnow@...>
      To: <RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Friday, October 12, 2007 10:50 AM
      Subject: AW: [RedHotJazz] Dumb Question?

      > Hi Dave,
      >
      > if the question was how to pronounce Harry Reser the answer is easy. Since
      > he was of german origin the pronounciation would be : rayser. I hope that
      > helps
      >
      > Christian

      Hum! I'd rather trust the natives, since I doubt the original German
      pronunciation was used... anyway this is a tricky phonetical challenge
      because, if it was, the intitial "Re" should not have sounded as an [ei]
      diphtongue (something like "razor") but as a plain [e] which should be less,
      less "open" than the [e] of "bed". I cannot figure out how to explain this
      to a native English speaker, as you know it is a bit more "closed" than the
      French "é".