Songs Available On Reissue? (Joe Venuti/Freddie Slack)

  • ikey100
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 8, 2007
      Hi, Anyone know if the following have been made available, other than
      the reissues noted below?

      Joe Venuti's Orchestra, "The Girlfriend Of The Whirling Dervish"
      (vocals by John Payne, Johnny "Scat" Davis, and others). This is from
      the soundtrack of the 1938 film "Garden Of The Moon", and I found it
      on a rather scratchy 1970's lp reissue of MGM musical material. It
      has great Johnny Mercer lyrics, a Payne lead vocal, and Davis does
      scat imitations of Calloway, Watson, etc. And, has the film itself
      been issued in a modern video format?

      Freddie Slack and the Eight Beats "Strange Cargo" Decca 4130 (78 rpm)
      This was Slack's first remake of "Strange Cargo" in June, 1941, and I
      have it only on one of those atrocious sounding 1970's Ajaz bootleg
      lp's of chronological Slack recordings. The later Capitol version
      of "Strange Cargo" is easy to find in reissue (I have it on Mosaic),
      but has this Decca version been available? The three other titles at
      that "41 Decca session were "Pig Foot Pete" Boogie Woogie On Kitten
      On The Keys", and "That Place Down The Road Apiece".

      Thanks,
      Warren
    • Dan Van Landingham
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 8, 2007
        I had a Capitol 78 set of Freddie Slack and his Eight Beats By Four and those sides were on the album.My late friend Al Hendrickson once told me about working for him around 1949.It was mistake to work for Slack as he was just another hard drinker who had no business leading his own band.I have just a handful of Slack's 78s in my collection like "Small Batch
        O'Nod","Cuban Sugar Mill" plus "House of Blue Lights".There are more but I left a number of them back in Lometa,Texas.Those sides were cut in 1942 and one of the copies I have of "Small Batch O'Nod" is a circa 1946 reissue and the other dates from 1942 to '46.The word "Capitol" is in large script and the nation's capitol is in large relief,Slack died in 1965 and Al once told me that Slack would hit him up for a few dollars and he would go the nearest bar and buy everyone there drinks.
        The song "Girlfriend of the Whirling Dervish" is a tune I heard,via Porky Pig,in a Warner Brothers cartoon.This came about because as late as the 1980s,the morning cartoon shows were still around.Here in North Bend,Oregon,the TV station KPTV from Portland,Oregon was on cable for years.There was an afternoon cartoon show called "Cartoon Castle" and they also used those same cartoons which were done by Warner Brothers.Carl Stallings,who was at Warners from 1936 until his retirement in 1958,used many tunes that were owned by Warners and they wanted Stallings to use the songs in his scores.To this day there are tunes I've heard in those cartoons but I have no idea as to the songs save the fact that a number of tunes written by bandleader Raymond Scott(*The Toy Trumpet")were liberally used by Stallings.The "Watson" that was mentioned by Warren:was it Leo Watson?I am not that familiar with Johnny "Scat" Davis save the fact that he played trumpet and sang.The song "I'm
        Going Hollywood" is the only tune I know him for.