Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: Whistler and His Jug Band

  • David Richoux
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 7, 2007
      CDBaby.com has quite a few new jug band recordings:
      http://cdbaby.com/found?allsearch=jug&submit=search

      There are regional festivals all over the US (also a few in the UK)
      and it seems like there hundreds of jug bands currently performing.
      The files and links pages on the jugband Yahoo group mention many of
      them. I don't have any favorites yet, there is a lot of variety and
      skills. Mike Seeger (fiddle and just about every other traditional
      jug band instrument ) is probably the most accomplished musician in
      the field.
      http://mikeseeger.info/

      Jim Kweskin is performing a bit , he has formed other groups - search
      on [ jim kweskin ] and also there is a new documentary film out
      called "Chasin Gus's Ghost" about him and his group - and many other
      jug bands from the 1960s onward:
      http://www.chasingusghost.com/trailer/

      Jim's close associate Fritz Richmond (jug, gut-bucket, etc.) recently
      passed away (2005) and without him I don't think a revival of JKJB
      would be possible.
      http://www.toms-cabin.com/FritzMemorial/

      Dave Richoux

      On Oct 7, 2007, at 6:17 AM, jimmiejazz37 wrote:

      > Could you supply a website where one might purchase CDs of
      > contemporary jug bands? Who are some of the best practitioners of
      > this amazing art today? Is Jim Kweskin still around?
      >
      > Thanks.
      >
      > Jim
      >>
      >> and thanks for the link - great stuff!
      >>
      >> Dave Richoux
      >>
      >> On Oct 6, 2007, at 10:02 PM, Mordechai Litzman wrote:
      >>
      >>> Came across a 1930 video of the above band - guaranteed to bring
      >>> smiles. Also available is a second recording of the same song
      > dated
      >>> 5/30/30, as well as raw footage of rehearsals in two parts
      > adding
      >>> up to appr. 12 minutes. (All the above seem to come from the
      > same
      >>> occasion.)
      >>> The RHJA lists a recording dated 6/15/31 with the same name,but
      > it
      >>> is not available, and I would not know if it is the same
      > recording.
      >>> http://youtube.com/watch?v=8iXzIvN4JI4
      >>>

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • David W. Littlefield
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 7, 2007
        There's an article in a recent Smithsonian Magazine I haven't had a
        chance to read.

        http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/object-washboard.html

        Washboards International, a one-man organization of washboardists,

        http://www.washboards.com

        Many of the jazz-oriented "washboard bands" are essentially dixieland
        bands of varying sizes that use washboards rather than drums because
        1. they hate drums or drummers, 2. found a good washboardist, 3. were
        looking for a gimmick, 4. all of the above.

        My White Lightnin' Washboard Band is a quartet or quintet with
        clarinet/soprano sax, one or banjos, tuba, me on washboard w/
        noisemakers and banjo/ National
        4-string guitar. We play mostly standard dixieland pop tunes, aiming
        at mindless novelty.

        The ca. 8-piece Peruna Jazzmen of Denmark recreate the "hardcore" 20s
        classics, using the washboard as a drums substitute.

        I play banjo/National 4-string with a couple of jug/skiffle bands with
        cornet/fluegelbone/kazoo/vocals, clarinet/kazoo/slide whistle,
        soprano/alto sax/vocals, clarinet/tenor sax/jug/vocals, upright bass
        or washtub bass,
        musical saw/vocals/kazoo, fiddle, washboard/vocals. sometimes
        mandolin. Fair variety of tunes.

        The Sacramental Jubilee and (at least it used to) Connecticut
        Traditional Jazz festival have a one hour washboard concert. The
        International Washboard Festival in Logan OH, home of the only US
        Washboard factory, has 3 washboard concerts, plus several "washboard"
        and dixieland bands.

        --Sheik

        At 09:17 AM 10/07/07, you wrote:
        >Could you supply a website where one might purchase CDs of
        >contemporary jug bands? Who are some of the best practitioners of
        >this amazing art today? Is Jim Kweskin still around?
        >Jim
        >--- In
        ><mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com>RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com,
        >David Richoux <tubaman@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > FYI - there is a very active Jug Band discussion group on Yahoo -
        >for
        > > both historical aspects and current practitioners of the jug,
        >kazoo,
        > > gut-bucket and the like:

        > > and thanks for the link - great stuff!
        > >
        > > Dave Richoux
        > >
        > > On Oct 6, 2007, at 10:02 PM, Mordechai Litzman wrote:
        > >
        > > > Came across a 1930 video of the above band - guaranteed to bring
        > > > smiles. Also available is a second recording of the same song
        >dated
        > > > 5/30/30, as well as raw footage of rehearsals in two parts
        >adding
        > > > up to appr. 12 minutes. (All the above seem to come from the
        >same
        > > > occasion.)
        > > > The RHJA lists a recording dated 6/15/31 with the same name,but
        >it
        > > > is not available, and I would not know if it is the same
        >recording.
        > > >
        > <http://youtube.com/watch?v=8iXzIvN4JI4>http://youtube.com/watch?v=8iXzIvN4JI4

      • Mark Harwood
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 7, 2007
          On the Isle of Arran, in Scotland, you can hear an informal jug band
          amalgam each Tuesday in the Catacol Bay Hotel. From this loose group
          a tight band is forming, the working name currently being Salty Dog.
          This is a very promising outfit, if I do say so myself.
          Down in England, the Ugly Mug Jug Band has just recorded a CD. I
          recommend the Ginger Jug Band's old set, "Archive".
          As jug band music is outside the remit of this forum, I invite fans
          to contact me directly.

          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "jimmiejazz37" <jimmiejazz@...>
          wrote:

          > Could you supply a website where one might purchase CDs of
          > contemporary jug bands? Who are some of the best practitioners of
          > this amazing art today? Is Jim Kweskin still around?
          >
          > Thanks.
          >
          > Jim
          > >
          > > and thanks for the link - great stuff!
          > >
          > > Dave Richoux
          > >
          > > On Oct 6, 2007, at 10:02 PM, Mordechai Litzman wrote:
          > >
          > > > Came across a 1930 video of the above band - guaranteed to
          bring
          > > > smiles. Also available is a second recording of the same song
          > dated
          > > > 5/30/30, as well as raw footage of rehearsals in two parts
          > adding
          > > > up to appr. 12 minutes. (All the above seem to come from the
          > same
          > > > occasion.)
          > > > The RHJA lists a recording dated 6/15/31 with the same name,but
          > it
          > > > is not available, and I would not know if it is the same
          > recording.
          > > > http://youtube.com/watch?v=8iXzIvN4JI4

        • Mordechai Litzman
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 7, 2007
            I agree with you that many contemporary recordings featuring a washboard are very gimmicky. However, going back to the classic recordings from the 20's, two stand out in my mind as superb examples of using a washboard very tastefully:
            Washboard Wiggles with Tiny Parham and his Musicians from 7/22/29 featuring substantial wb solos, and Little Bits with Jimmy Bertrand's Washboard Wizards with Johnny Dodds cl, Jimmy Blythe p, and Bertrand playing endless rhytmic variations on the wb.
            The South Frisco JB has an excellent recording of Washboard Wiggles, and I remember reading that their wb player Bob Raggio was the only full time wb player in the US, but I am not sure if he is around any more.
            Look at this! I just found the South Frisco recording on YouTube.

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdO0n5JMdHc

          • David Richoux
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 8, 2007
              I forgot to mention the Yazoo Records series - the film clip comes
              from a DVD "Things Ain't Like They Used To Be" and they also have a
              lot of other early jug compilations.

              http://yazoorecords.com/512.htm

              Dave Richoux