Re: Whistler and His Jug Band

  • jimmiejazz37
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 7, 2007
      Could you supply a website where one might purchase CDs of
      contemporary jug bands? Who are some of the best practitioners of
      this amazing art today? Is Jim Kweskin still around?

      Thanks.

      Jim

      > and thanks for the link - great stuff!
      >
      > Dave Richoux
      >
      > On Oct 6, 2007, at 10:02 PM, Mordechai Litzman wrote:
      >
      > > Came across a 1930 video of the above band - guaranteed to bring
      > > smiles. Also available is a second recording of the same song
      dated
      > > 5/30/30, as well as raw footage of rehearsals in two parts
      adding
      > > up to appr. 12 minutes. (All the above seem to come from the
      same
      > > occasion.)
      > > The RHJA lists a recording dated 6/15/31 with the same name,but
      it
      > > is not available, and I would not know if it is the same
      recording.
      > > http://youtube.com/watch?v=8iXzIvN4JI4

    • David Richoux
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 7, 2007
        CDBaby.com has quite a few new jug band recordings:
        http://cdbaby.com/found?allsearch=jug&submit=search

        There are regional festivals all over the US (also a few in the UK)
        and it seems like there hundreds of jug bands currently performing.
        The files and links pages on the jugband Yahoo group mention many of
        them. I don't have any favorites yet, there is a lot of variety and
        skills. Mike Seeger (fiddle and just about every other traditional
        jug band instrument ) is probably the most accomplished musician in
        the field.
        http://mikeseeger.info/

        Jim Kweskin is performing a bit , he has formed other groups - search
        on [ jim kweskin ] and also there is a new documentary film out
        called "Chasin Gus's Ghost" about him and his group - and many other
        jug bands from the 1960s onward:
        http://www.chasingusghost.com/trailer/

        Jim's close associate Fritz Richmond (jug, gut-bucket, etc.) recently
        passed away (2005) and without him I don't think a revival of JKJB
        would be possible.
        http://www.toms-cabin.com/FritzMemorial/

        Dave Richoux

        On Oct 7, 2007, at 6:17 AM, jimmiejazz37 wrote:

        > Could you supply a website where one might purchase CDs of
        > contemporary jug bands? Who are some of the best practitioners of
        > this amazing art today? Is Jim Kweskin still around?
        >
        > Thanks.
        >
        > Jim
        >>
        >> and thanks for the link - great stuff!
        >>
        >> Dave Richoux
        >>
        >> On Oct 6, 2007, at 10:02 PM, Mordechai Litzman wrote:
        >>
        >>> Came across a 1930 video of the above band - guaranteed to bring
        >>> smiles. Also available is a second recording of the same song
        > dated
        >>> 5/30/30, as well as raw footage of rehearsals in two parts
        > adding
        >>> up to appr. 12 minutes. (All the above seem to come from the
        > same
        >>> occasion.)
        >>> The RHJA lists a recording dated 6/15/31 with the same name,but
        > it
        >>> is not available, and I would not know if it is the same
        > recording.
        >>> http://youtube.com/watch?v=8iXzIvN4JI4
        >>>

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • David W. Littlefield
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 7, 2007
          There's an article in a recent Smithsonian Magazine I haven't had a
          chance to read.

          http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/object-washboard.html

          Washboards International, a one-man organization of washboardists,

          http://www.washboards.com

          Many of the jazz-oriented "washboard bands" are essentially dixieland
          bands of varying sizes that use washboards rather than drums because
          1. they hate drums or drummers, 2. found a good washboardist, 3. were
          looking for a gimmick, 4. all of the above.

          My White Lightnin' Washboard Band is a quartet or quintet with
          clarinet/soprano sax, one or banjos, tuba, me on washboard w/
          noisemakers and banjo/ National
          4-string guitar. We play mostly standard dixieland pop tunes, aiming
          at mindless novelty.

          The ca. 8-piece Peruna Jazzmen of Denmark recreate the "hardcore" 20s
          classics, using the washboard as a drums substitute.

          I play banjo/National 4-string with a couple of jug/skiffle bands with
          cornet/fluegelbone/kazoo/vocals, clarinet/kazoo/slide whistle,
          soprano/alto sax/vocals, clarinet/tenor sax/jug/vocals, upright bass
          or washtub bass,
          musical saw/vocals/kazoo, fiddle, washboard/vocals. sometimes
          mandolin. Fair variety of tunes.

          The Sacramental Jubilee and (at least it used to) Connecticut
          Traditional Jazz festival have a one hour washboard concert. The
          International Washboard Festival in Logan OH, home of the only US
          Washboard factory, has 3 washboard concerts, plus several "washboard"
          and dixieland bands.

          --Sheik

          At 09:17 AM 10/07/07, you wrote:
          >Could you supply a website where one might purchase CDs of
          >contemporary jug bands? Who are some of the best practitioners of
          >this amazing art today? Is Jim Kweskin still around?
          >Jim
          >--- In
          ><mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com>RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com,
          >David Richoux <tubaman@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > FYI - there is a very active Jug Band discussion group on Yahoo -
          >for
          > > both historical aspects and current practitioners of the jug,
          >kazoo,
          > > gut-bucket and the like:

          > > and thanks for the link - great stuff!
          > >
          > > Dave Richoux
          > >
          > > On Oct 6, 2007, at 10:02 PM, Mordechai Litzman wrote:
          > >
          > > > Came across a 1930 video of the above band - guaranteed to bring
          > > > smiles. Also available is a second recording of the same song
          >dated
          > > > 5/30/30, as well as raw footage of rehearsals in two parts
          >adding
          > > > up to appr. 12 minutes. (All the above seem to come from the
          >same
          > > > occasion.)
          > > > The RHJA lists a recording dated 6/15/31 with the same name,but
          >it
          > > > is not available, and I would not know if it is the same
          >recording.
          > > >
          > <http://youtube.com/watch?v=8iXzIvN4JI4>http://youtube.com/watch?v=8iXzIvN4JI4

        • Mark Harwood
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 7, 2007
            On the Isle of Arran, in Scotland, you can hear an informal jug band
            amalgam each Tuesday in the Catacol Bay Hotel. From this loose group
            a tight band is forming, the working name currently being Salty Dog.
            This is a very promising outfit, if I do say so myself.
            Down in England, the Ugly Mug Jug Band has just recorded a CD. I
            recommend the Ginger Jug Band's old set, "Archive".
            As jug band music is outside the remit of this forum, I invite fans
            to contact me directly.

            --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "jimmiejazz37" <jimmiejazz@...>
            wrote:

            > Could you supply a website where one might purchase CDs of
            > contemporary jug bands? Who are some of the best practitioners of
            > this amazing art today? Is Jim Kweskin still around?
            >
            > Thanks.
            >
            > Jim
            > >
            > > and thanks for the link - great stuff!
            > >
            > > Dave Richoux
            > >
            > > On Oct 6, 2007, at 10:02 PM, Mordechai Litzman wrote:
            > >
            > > > Came across a 1930 video of the above band - guaranteed to
            bring
            > > > smiles. Also available is a second recording of the same song
            > dated
            > > > 5/30/30, as well as raw footage of rehearsals in two parts
            > adding
            > > > up to appr. 12 minutes. (All the above seem to come from the
            > same
            > > > occasion.)
            > > > The RHJA lists a recording dated 6/15/31 with the same name,but
            > it
            > > > is not available, and I would not know if it is the same
            > recording.
            > > > http://youtube.com/watch?v=8iXzIvN4JI4

          • Mordechai Litzman
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 7, 2007
              I agree with you that many contemporary recordings featuring a washboard are very gimmicky. However, going back to the classic recordings from the 20's, two stand out in my mind as superb examples of using a washboard very tastefully:
              Washboard Wiggles with Tiny Parham and his Musicians from 7/22/29 featuring substantial wb solos, and Little Bits with Jimmy Bertrand's Washboard Wizards with Johnny Dodds cl, Jimmy Blythe p, and Bertrand playing endless rhytmic variations on the wb.
              The South Frisco JB has an excellent recording of Washboard Wiggles, and I remember reading that their wb player Bob Raggio was the only full time wb player in the US, but I am not sure if he is around any more.
              Look at this! I just found the South Frisco recording on YouTube.

              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdO0n5JMdHc

            • David Richoux
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 8, 2007
                I forgot to mention the Yazoo Records series - the film clip comes
                from a DVD "Things Ain't Like They Used To Be" and they also have a
                lot of other early jug compilations.

                http://yazoorecords.com/512.htm

                Dave Richoux