Re: [RedHotJazz] Whistler and His Jug Band

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 7, 2007
      No it's not the same. The video footage is from Fox-Movietone newsreel
      footage held at the University of South Carolina. The raw footage, which is
      very repetitive, especially visually, was brilliantly edited by Yazoo for
      their VHS issue (Yazoo 512). I think this has been reissued on DVD.

      The 1931 Victor recording has entirely different instrumentation. It's on
      RST JPCD1504-2 "Clifford Hayes & The Louisville Jug Bands, Vol. 4 1929-1931"
      which I hope is still available from Document. There may well be other
      reissues. Clifford Hayes of course has nothing to do with this particular
      record!

      on 7/10/07 6:02, Mordechai Litzman at folke613@... wrote:

      Came across a 1930 video of the above band - guaranteed to bring smiles.
      Also available is a second recording of the same song dated 5/30/30, as well
      as raw footage of rehearsals in two parts adding up to appr. 12 minutes.
      (All the above seem to come from the same occasion.)
      The RHJA lists a recording dated 6/15/31 with the same name,but it is not
      available, and I would not know if it is the same recording.
      http://youtube.com/watch?v=8iXzIvN4JI4

    • jimmiejazz37
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 7, 2007
        Could you supply a website where one might purchase CDs of
        contemporary jug bands? Who are some of the best practitioners of
        this amazing art today? Is Jim Kweskin still around?

        Thanks.

        Jim

        > and thanks for the link - great stuff!
        >
        > Dave Richoux
        >
        > On Oct 6, 2007, at 10:02 PM, Mordechai Litzman wrote:
        >
        > > Came across a 1930 video of the above band - guaranteed to bring
        > > smiles. Also available is a second recording of the same song
        dated
        > > 5/30/30, as well as raw footage of rehearsals in two parts
        adding
        > > up to appr. 12 minutes. (All the above seem to come from the
        same
        > > occasion.)
        > > The RHJA lists a recording dated 6/15/31 with the same name,but
        it
        > > is not available, and I would not know if it is the same
        recording.
        > > http://youtube.com/watch?v=8iXzIvN4JI4

      • David Richoux
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 7, 2007
          CDBaby.com has quite a few new jug band recordings:
          http://cdbaby.com/found?allsearch=jug&submit=search

          There are regional festivals all over the US (also a few in the UK)
          and it seems like there hundreds of jug bands currently performing.
          The files and links pages on the jugband Yahoo group mention many of
          them. I don't have any favorites yet, there is a lot of variety and
          skills. Mike Seeger (fiddle and just about every other traditional
          jug band instrument ) is probably the most accomplished musician in
          the field.
          http://mikeseeger.info/

          Jim Kweskin is performing a bit , he has formed other groups - search
          on [ jim kweskin ] and also there is a new documentary film out
          called "Chasin Gus's Ghost" about him and his group - and many other
          jug bands from the 1960s onward:
          http://www.chasingusghost.com/trailer/

          Jim's close associate Fritz Richmond (jug, gut-bucket, etc.) recently
          passed away (2005) and without him I don't think a revival of JKJB
          would be possible.
          http://www.toms-cabin.com/FritzMemorial/

          Dave Richoux

          On Oct 7, 2007, at 6:17 AM, jimmiejazz37 wrote:

          > Could you supply a website where one might purchase CDs of
          > contemporary jug bands? Who are some of the best practitioners of
          > this amazing art today? Is Jim Kweskin still around?
          >
          > Thanks.
          >
          > Jim
          >>
          >> and thanks for the link - great stuff!
          >>
          >> Dave Richoux
          >>
          >> On Oct 6, 2007, at 10:02 PM, Mordechai Litzman wrote:
          >>
          >>> Came across a 1930 video of the above band - guaranteed to bring
          >>> smiles. Also available is a second recording of the same song
          > dated
          >>> 5/30/30, as well as raw footage of rehearsals in two parts
          > adding
          >>> up to appr. 12 minutes. (All the above seem to come from the
          > same
          >>> occasion.)
          >>> The RHJA lists a recording dated 6/15/31 with the same name,but
          > it
          >>> is not available, and I would not know if it is the same
          > recording.
          >>> http://youtube.com/watch?v=8iXzIvN4JI4
          >>>

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • David W. Littlefield
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 7, 2007
            There's an article in a recent Smithsonian Magazine I haven't had a
            chance to read.

            http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/object-washboard.html

            Washboards International, a one-man organization of washboardists,

            http://www.washboards.com

            Many of the jazz-oriented "washboard bands" are essentially dixieland
            bands of varying sizes that use washboards rather than drums because
            1. they hate drums or drummers, 2. found a good washboardist, 3. were
            looking for a gimmick, 4. all of the above.

            My White Lightnin' Washboard Band is a quartet or quintet with
            clarinet/soprano sax, one or banjos, tuba, me on washboard w/
            noisemakers and banjo/ National
            4-string guitar. We play mostly standard dixieland pop tunes, aiming
            at mindless novelty.

            The ca. 8-piece Peruna Jazzmen of Denmark recreate the "hardcore" 20s
            classics, using the washboard as a drums substitute.

            I play banjo/National 4-string with a couple of jug/skiffle bands with
            cornet/fluegelbone/kazoo/vocals, clarinet/kazoo/slide whistle,
            soprano/alto sax/vocals, clarinet/tenor sax/jug/vocals, upright bass
            or washtub bass,
            musical saw/vocals/kazoo, fiddle, washboard/vocals. sometimes
            mandolin. Fair variety of tunes.

            The Sacramental Jubilee and (at least it used to) Connecticut
            Traditional Jazz festival have a one hour washboard concert. The
            International Washboard Festival in Logan OH, home of the only US
            Washboard factory, has 3 washboard concerts, plus several "washboard"
            and dixieland bands.

            --Sheik

            At 09:17 AM 10/07/07, you wrote:
            >Could you supply a website where one might purchase CDs of
            >contemporary jug bands? Who are some of the best practitioners of
            >this amazing art today? Is Jim Kweskin still around?
            >Jim
            >--- In
            ><mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com>RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com,
            >David Richoux <tubaman@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > FYI - there is a very active Jug Band discussion group on Yahoo -
            >for
            > > both historical aspects and current practitioners of the jug,
            >kazoo,
            > > gut-bucket and the like:

            > > and thanks for the link - great stuff!
            > >
            > > Dave Richoux
            > >
            > > On Oct 6, 2007, at 10:02 PM, Mordechai Litzman wrote:
            > >
            > > > Came across a 1930 video of the above band - guaranteed to bring
            > > > smiles. Also available is a second recording of the same song
            >dated
            > > > 5/30/30, as well as raw footage of rehearsals in two parts
            >adding
            > > > up to appr. 12 minutes. (All the above seem to come from the
            >same
            > > > occasion.)
            > > > The RHJA lists a recording dated 6/15/31 with the same name,but
            >it
            > > > is not available, and I would not know if it is the same
            >recording.
            > > >
            > <http://youtube.com/watch?v=8iXzIvN4JI4>http://youtube.com/watch?v=8iXzIvN4JI4

          • Mark Harwood
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 7, 2007
              On the Isle of Arran, in Scotland, you can hear an informal jug band
              amalgam each Tuesday in the Catacol Bay Hotel. From this loose group
              a tight band is forming, the working name currently being Salty Dog.
              This is a very promising outfit, if I do say so myself.
              Down in England, the Ugly Mug Jug Band has just recorded a CD. I
              recommend the Ginger Jug Band's old set, "Archive".
              As jug band music is outside the remit of this forum, I invite fans
              to contact me directly.

              --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "jimmiejazz37" <jimmiejazz@...>
              wrote:

              > Could you supply a website where one might purchase CDs of
              > contemporary jug bands? Who are some of the best practitioners of
              > this amazing art today? Is Jim Kweskin still around?
              >
              > Thanks.
              >
              > Jim
              > >
              > > and thanks for the link - great stuff!
              > >
              > > Dave Richoux
              > >
              > > On Oct 6, 2007, at 10:02 PM, Mordechai Litzman wrote:
              > >
              > > > Came across a 1930 video of the above band - guaranteed to
              bring
              > > > smiles. Also available is a second recording of the same song
              > dated
              > > > 5/30/30, as well as raw footage of rehearsals in two parts
              > adding
              > > > up to appr. 12 minutes. (All the above seem to come from the
              > same
              > > > occasion.)
              > > > The RHJA lists a recording dated 6/15/31 with the same name,but
              > it
              > > > is not available, and I would not know if it is the same
              > recording.
              > > > http://youtube.com/watch?v=8iXzIvN4JI4

            • Mordechai Litzman
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 7, 2007
                I agree with you that many contemporary recordings featuring a washboard are very gimmicky. However, going back to the classic recordings from the 20's, two stand out in my mind as superb examples of using a washboard very tastefully:
                Washboard Wiggles with Tiny Parham and his Musicians from 7/22/29 featuring substantial wb solos, and Little Bits with Jimmy Bertrand's Washboard Wizards with Johnny Dodds cl, Jimmy Blythe p, and Bertrand playing endless rhytmic variations on the wb.
                The South Frisco JB has an excellent recording of Washboard Wiggles, and I remember reading that their wb player Bob Raggio was the only full time wb player in the US, but I am not sure if he is around any more.
                Look at this! I just found the South Frisco recording on YouTube.

                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdO0n5JMdHc

              • David Richoux
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 8, 2007
                  I forgot to mention the Yazoo Records series - the film clip comes
                  from a DVD "Things Ain't Like They Used To Be" and they also have a
                  lot of other early jug compilations.

                  http://yazoorecords.com/512.htm

                  Dave Richoux