Re: [RedHotJazz] Whistler and His Jug Band

  • David Richoux
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 6, 2007
      FYI - there is a very active Jug Band discussion group on Yahoo - for
      both historical aspects and current practitioners of the jug, kazoo,
      gut-bucket and the like:

      and thanks for the link - great stuff!

      Dave Richoux

      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 7, 2007
        No it's not the same. The video footage is from Fox-Movietone newsreel
        footage held at the University of South Carolina. The raw footage, which is
        very repetitive, especially visually, was brilliantly edited by Yazoo for
        their VHS issue (Yazoo 512). I think this has been reissued on DVD.

        The 1931 Victor recording has entirely different instrumentation. It's on
        RST JPCD1504-2 "Clifford Hayes & The Louisville Jug Bands, Vol. 4 1929-1931"
        which I hope is still available from Document. There may well be other
        reissues. Clifford Hayes of course has nothing to do with this particular
        record!

        on 7/10/07 6:02, Mordechai Litzman at folke613@... wrote:

        Came across a 1930 video of the above band - guaranteed to bring smiles.
        Also available is a second recording of the same song dated 5/30/30, as well
        as raw footage of rehearsals in two parts adding up to appr. 12 minutes.
        (All the above seem to come from the same occasion.)
        The RHJA lists a recording dated 6/15/31 with the same name,but it is not
        available, and I would not know if it is the same recording.
        http://youtube.com/watch?v=8iXzIvN4JI4

      • jimmiejazz37
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 7, 2007
          Could you supply a website where one might purchase CDs of
          contemporary jug bands? Who are some of the best practitioners of
          this amazing art today? Is Jim Kweskin still around?

          Thanks.

          Jim

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 7, 2007
            CDBaby.com has quite a few new jug band recordings:
            http://cdbaby.com/found?allsearch=jug&submit=search

            There are regional festivals all over the US (also a few in the UK)
            and it seems like there hundreds of jug bands currently performing.
            The files and links pages on the jugband Yahoo group mention many of
            them. I don't have any favorites yet, there is a lot of variety and
            skills. Mike Seeger (fiddle and just about every other traditional
            jug band instrument ) is probably the most accomplished musician in
            the field.
            http://mikeseeger.info/

            Jim Kweskin is performing a bit , he has formed other groups - search
            on [ jim kweskin ] and also there is a new documentary film out
            called "Chasin Gus's Ghost" about him and his group - and many other
            jug bands from the 1960s onward:
            http://www.chasingusghost.com/trailer/

            Jim's close associate Fritz Richmond (jug, gut-bucket, etc.) recently
            passed away (2005) and without him I don't think a revival of JKJB
            would be possible.
            http://www.toms-cabin.com/FritzMemorial/

            Dave Richoux

            On Oct 7, 2007, at 6:17 AM, jimmiejazz37 wrote:

            > Could you supply a website where one might purchase CDs of
            > contemporary jug bands? Who are some of the best practitioners of
            > this amazing art today? Is Jim Kweskin still around?
            >
            > Thanks.
            >
            > Jim
            >>
            >> and thanks for the link - great stuff!
            >>
            >> Dave Richoux
            >>
            >> On Oct 6, 2007, at 10:02 PM, Mordechai Litzman wrote:
            >>
            >>> Came across a 1930 video of the above band - guaranteed to bring
            >>> smiles. Also available is a second recording of the same song
            > dated
            >>> 5/30/30, as well as raw footage of rehearsals in two parts
            > adding
            >>> up to appr. 12 minutes. (All the above seem to come from the
            > same
            >>> occasion.)
            >>> The RHJA lists a recording dated 6/15/31 with the same name,but
            > it
            >>> is not available, and I would not know if it is the same
            > recording.
            >>> http://youtube.com/watch?v=8iXzIvN4JI4
            >>>

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • David W. Littlefield
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 7, 2007
              There's an article in a recent Smithsonian Magazine I haven't had a
              chance to read.

              http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/object-washboard.html

              Washboards International, a one-man organization of washboardists,

              http://www.washboards.com

              Many of the jazz-oriented "washboard bands" are essentially dixieland
              bands of varying sizes that use washboards rather than drums because
              1. they hate drums or drummers, 2. found a good washboardist, 3. were
              looking for a gimmick, 4. all of the above.

              My White Lightnin' Washboard Band is a quartet or quintet with
              clarinet/soprano sax, one or banjos, tuba, me on washboard w/
              noisemakers and banjo/ National
              4-string guitar. We play mostly standard dixieland pop tunes, aiming
              at mindless novelty.

              The ca. 8-piece Peruna Jazzmen of Denmark recreate the "hardcore" 20s
              classics, using the washboard as a drums substitute.

              I play banjo/National 4-string with a couple of jug/skiffle bands with
              cornet/fluegelbone/kazoo/vocals, clarinet/kazoo/slide whistle,
              soprano/alto sax/vocals, clarinet/tenor sax/jug/vocals, upright bass
              or washtub bass,
              musical saw/vocals/kazoo, fiddle, washboard/vocals. sometimes
              mandolin. Fair variety of tunes.

              The Sacramental Jubilee and (at least it used to) Connecticut
              Traditional Jazz festival have a one hour washboard concert. The
              International Washboard Festival in Logan OH, home of the only US
              Washboard factory, has 3 washboard concerts, plus several "washboard"
              and dixieland bands.

              --Sheik

              At 09:17 AM 10/07/07, you wrote:
              >Could you supply a website where one might purchase CDs of
              >contemporary jug bands? Who are some of the best practitioners of
              >this amazing art today? Is Jim Kweskin still around?
              >Jim
              >--- In
              ><mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com>RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com,
              >David Richoux <tubaman@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > FYI - there is a very active Jug Band discussion group on Yahoo -
              >for
              > > both historical aspects and current practitioners of the jug,
              >kazoo,
              > > gut-bucket and the like:

              > > and thanks for the link - great stuff!
              > >
              > > Dave Richoux
              > >
              > > On Oct 6, 2007, at 10:02 PM, Mordechai Litzman wrote:
              > >
              > > > Came across a 1930 video of the above band - guaranteed to bring
              > > > smiles. Also available is a second recording of the same song
              >dated
              > > > 5/30/30, as well as raw footage of rehearsals in two parts
              >adding
              > > > up to appr. 12 minutes. (All the above seem to come from the
              >same
              > > > occasion.)
              > > > The RHJA lists a recording dated 6/15/31 with the same name,but
              >it
              > > > is not available, and I would not know if it is the same
              >recording.
              > > >
              > <http://youtube.com/watch?v=8iXzIvN4JI4>http://youtube.com/watch?v=8iXzIvN4JI4

            • Mark Harwood
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 7, 2007
                On the Isle of Arran, in Scotland, you can hear an informal jug band
                amalgam each Tuesday in the Catacol Bay Hotel. From this loose group
                a tight band is forming, the working name currently being Salty Dog.
                This is a very promising outfit, if I do say so myself.
                Down in England, the Ugly Mug Jug Band has just recorded a CD. I
                recommend the Ginger Jug Band's old set, "Archive".
                As jug band music is outside the remit of this forum, I invite fans
                to contact me directly.

                --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "jimmiejazz37" <jimmiejazz@...>
                wrote:

                > Could you supply a website where one might purchase CDs of
                > contemporary jug bands? Who are some of the best practitioners of
                > this amazing art today? Is Jim Kweskin still around?
                >
                > Thanks.
                >
                > Jim
                > >
                > > and thanks for the link - great stuff!
                > >
                > > Dave Richoux
                > >
                > > On Oct 6, 2007, at 10:02 PM, Mordechai Litzman wrote:
                > >
                > > > Came across a 1930 video of the above band - guaranteed to
                bring
                > > > smiles. Also available is a second recording of the same song
                > dated
                > > > 5/30/30, as well as raw footage of rehearsals in two parts
                > adding
                > > > up to appr. 12 minutes. (All the above seem to come from the
                > same
                > > > occasion.)
                > > > The RHJA lists a recording dated 6/15/31 with the same name,but
                > it
                > > > is not available, and I would not know if it is the same
                > recording.
                > > > http://youtube.com/watch?v=8iXzIvN4JI4

              • Mordechai Litzman
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 7, 2007
                  I agree with you that many contemporary recordings featuring a washboard are very gimmicky. However, going back to the classic recordings from the 20's, two stand out in my mind as superb examples of using a washboard very tastefully:
                  Washboard Wiggles with Tiny Parham and his Musicians from 7/22/29 featuring substantial wb solos, and Little Bits with Jimmy Bertrand's Washboard Wizards with Johnny Dodds cl, Jimmy Blythe p, and Bertrand playing endless rhytmic variations on the wb.
                  The South Frisco JB has an excellent recording of Washboard Wiggles, and I remember reading that their wb player Bob Raggio was the only full time wb player in the US, but I am not sure if he is around any more.
                  Look at this! I just found the South Frisco recording on YouTube.

                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdO0n5JMdHc

                • David Richoux
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 8, 2007
                    I forgot to mention the Yazoo Records series - the film clip comes
                    from a DVD "Things Ain't Like They Used To Be" and they also have a
                    lot of other early jug compilations.

                    http://yazoorecords.com/512.htm

                    Dave Richoux