Re : [RedHotJazz] tony parenti and Jews in jazz...

  • Alexandre Litwak
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 2, 2007
      [moderation : I am sending maybe for the second time, maybe with a serious delay... anyway, Yahoo notified the same message six times and systematically notified others twice, a confusing fit of hiccough]

      About Shaw, you can heard him in "Mister Linvingston, I presume ?" playing on his clarinet a klezmer part. He play a "Kolomokey" while
      his drummer play a Freilach rythm..

      Alexandre Litwak

      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2007
[...]

      • Dan Van Landingham
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 8, 2007
          I never met Artie Shaw,but I did meet his guitarist Al Henderickson who,sadly,passed away on 19 July of this year.Al was on all of those "Gramercy Five" which dated from September until December of 1940.He was a close friend of mine as was his wife Patti.That lick from "Doctor Livingston" was also used by Shaw on a 1939 big band performance and was released on Laserlight back in the early ninties.I would like to know more about the influence of Jews as Ziggy Elman was a great favourite of mine.DId you ever hear Goodman's Columbia recording of "My Little Cousin"?It was on a Columbia LP I bought new in the late '70s or early '80s.I think the name of the album was "Solid Instrumental Hits".A number of years ago,I was listening to an NPR station out of Ashland,Oregon and there was a segment they profiling klezmer music.They played a Victor recording that dated back to 1917.

          Alexandre Litwak <litwakalex2000@...> wrote: About Shaw, you can heard him in "Mister Linvingston, I presume ?" playing on his clarinet a klezmer part. He play a "Kolomokey" while