tony parenti and Jews in jazz...

  • Michael Ullman
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2007
      As for the Parenti, I really like the disc Strut Yo'
      Stuff on Frog, and hope it is still available.

      I have what I consider a funny story about Jews and
      jazz. I once interviewed Artie Shaw who, like me, was
      Jewish. He talked about growing up on the Lower East
      Side, and playing music for economic reasons. He then
      described an early job he had in a pit band in New
      Haven. In a break in rehearsals, he turned to the guy
      sitting next to him, and asked about him. It turns out
      this fellow was not only white, but an Anglo-Saxon
      Protestant. Shaw said he had never heard of a musician
      who wasn't African-American, Italian or Jewish. He was
      indignant! He told the guy, You could get a real job!!

      Michael Ullman

      Michael Ullman
      136 Woodward St.
      Newton, Mass. 02461