Re: Vocal Groups

  • yarel41
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 2, 2007
      Of Note?
      I´ve noted the sisters Hannah and Dorothea Williams singing with
      Charley Straight´s in 1926. Hot Dance Music with funny singing.
      Perhaps they were part of the band, I´ve never heard them
      anywhere else. They are on the RHJA.

      yarel 41

      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "hvandervink" <vanderha@...> wrote:

      > Right now I am listening to the Boswell Sisters, accompanied by the
      > Dorsey Brothers (late Twenties, I guess). Are there any other
      vocal
      > groups( besides the ones which were a part of an orchestra), that
      > were popular in the late Twenties or early Thirties? The Boswell
      > Sisters were certainly jazzy and had a wonderful array of musicians
      > accompany them. The Mills Brothers and (later) the Andrews Sisters
      come
      > to mind, but were there any others of note?
      >
      > Hans P. van der Vink
      > Toronto

    • jimmiejazz37
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 2, 2007
        The Boswells hit it big in the early 30s. There first recording with
        the Dorseys was in 1931. I have a program on my website dedicated to
        the wonderful sisters.

        www.jimmiejazzarchive.com

        The next most popular team of the 1920s was the Keller Sisters &
        Lynch.
        More about them can be seen on

        www.1920sjazz.com

        The host of this latter site was involved in producing a nice 2-CD
        private release of the KS&L. I'm going play it on my show sometime.

        Other fine female teams were the sisters
        Brox
        McCarthy
        Ponce
        Williams
        Ryan
        Bonner
        Danford
        Pickens

        Fred Waring worked with The Three Girl Friends.

        The fine discography by Ross Laird, "Moanin' Low" covers all female
        singers from 1920-1933.
        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "hvandervink" <vanderha@...> wrote:

        > Right now I am listening to the Boswell Sisters, accompanied by the
        > Dorsey Brothers (late Twenties, I guess). Are there any other
        vocal
        > groups( besides the ones which were a part of an orchestra), that
        > were popular in the late Twenties or early Thirties? The Boswell
        > Sisters were certainly jazzy and had a wonderful array of musicians
        > accompany them. The Mills Brothers and (later) the Andrews Sisters
        come
        > to mind, but were there any others of note?
        >
        > Hans P. van der Vink
        > Toronto

      • Ron L
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 2, 2007
          It definitely depends on what you mean by "of note". There were the Brox
          sisters and since you don't limit it to sister groups, the Waring Girls.
          Thos little Moilan sisters sounded pretty nice too but I think they were
          early 40s.

          Ron L

          Right now I am listening to the Boswell Sisters, accompanied by the
          Dorsey Brothers (late Twenties, I guess). Are there any other vocal
          groups( besides the ones which were a part of an orchestra), that
          were popular in the late Twenties or early Thirties? The Boswell
          Sisters were certainly jazzy and had a wonderful array of musicians to
          accompany them. The Mills Brothers and (later) the Andrews Sisters come
          to mind, but were there any others of note?

          Hans P. van der Vink
          Toronto

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • hvandervink
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 2, 2007
            Thank you, Jim, for the information. The website (and its adjuncts) is
            very useful.

            Cheers, Hans

            --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "jimmiejazz37" <jimmiejazz@...>