Vocal Groups

  • hvandervink
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2007
      Right now I am listening to the Boswell Sisters, accompanied by the
      Dorsey Brothers (late Twenties, I guess). Are there any other vocal
      groups( besides the ones which were a part of an orchestra), that
      were popular in the late Twenties or early Thirties? The Boswell
      Sisters were certainly jazzy and had a wonderful array of musicians to
      accompany them. The Mills Brothers and (later) the Andrews Sisters come
      to mind, but were there any others of note?

      Hans P. van der Vink
      Toronto
    • yarel41
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 2, 2007
        Of Note?
        I´ve noted the sisters Hannah and Dorothea Williams singing with
        Charley Straight´s in 1926. Hot Dance Music with funny singing.
        Perhaps they were part of the band, I´ve never heard them
        anywhere else. They are on the RHJA.

        yarel 41

        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "hvandervink" <vanderha@...> wrote:

        > Right now I am listening to the Boswell Sisters, accompanied by the
        > Dorsey Brothers (late Twenties, I guess). Are there any other
        vocal
        > groups( besides the ones which were a part of an orchestra), that
        > were popular in the late Twenties or early Thirties? The Boswell
        > Sisters were certainly jazzy and had a wonderful array of musicians
        > accompany them. The Mills Brothers and (later) the Andrews Sisters
        come
        > to mind, but were there any others of note?
        >
        > Hans P. van der Vink
        > Toronto

      • jimmiejazz37
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 2, 2007
          The Boswells hit it big in the early 30s. There first recording with
          the Dorseys was in 1931. I have a program on my website dedicated to
          the wonderful sisters.

          www.jimmiejazzarchive.com

          The next most popular team of the 1920s was the Keller Sisters &
          Lynch.
          More about them can be seen on

          www.1920sjazz.com

          The host of this latter site was involved in producing a nice 2-CD
          private release of the KS&L. I'm going play it on my show sometime.

          Other fine female teams were the sisters
          Brox
          McCarthy
          Ponce
          Williams
          Ryan
          Bonner
          Danford
          Pickens

          Fred Waring worked with The Three Girl Friends.

          The fine discography by Ross Laird, "Moanin' Low" covers all female
          singers from 1920-1933.
          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "hvandervink" <vanderha@...> wrote:

          > Right now I am listening to the Boswell Sisters, accompanied by the
          > Dorsey Brothers (late Twenties, I guess). Are there any other
          vocal
          > groups( besides the ones which were a part of an orchestra), that
          > were popular in the late Twenties or early Thirties? The Boswell
          > Sisters were certainly jazzy and had a wonderful array of musicians
          > accompany them. The Mills Brothers and (later) the Andrews Sisters
          come
          > to mind, but were there any others of note?
          >
          > Hans P. van der Vink
          > Toronto

        • Ron L
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 2, 2007
            It definitely depends on what you mean by "of note". There were the Brox
            sisters and since you don't limit it to sister groups, the Waring Girls.
            Thos little Moilan sisters sounded pretty nice too but I think they were
            early 40s.

            Ron L

            Right now I am listening to the Boswell Sisters, accompanied by the
            Dorsey Brothers (late Twenties, I guess). Are there any other vocal
            groups( besides the ones which were a part of an orchestra), that
            were popular in the late Twenties or early Thirties? The Boswell
            Sisters were certainly jazzy and had a wonderful array of musicians to
            accompany them. The Mills Brothers and (later) the Andrews Sisters come
            to mind, but were there any others of note?

            Hans P. van der Vink
            Toronto

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • hvandervink
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 2, 2007
              Thank you, Jim, for the information. The website (and its adjuncts) is
              very useful.

              Cheers, Hans

              --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "jimmiejazz37" <jimmiejazz@...>